Ball joint grease fill bolt.

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by boerboel313, Jun 19, 2012.

1. boerboel313

boerboel313

Feel like a complete tard. Looking at the ball joints on my 84 Fj60 and I can't find the grease/ inspection/ fill point. I have some leakage around the felt seals and would like to refill the balls with MDL bases grease. The owners bible shows a pic but not an arrow pointing to the fill bolt.
    Can someone Please provide me with a pic.
    I'll search in the meantime, but have had little luck with them in the past.
    Thanks much.

2. TS888

TS888

No pic handy, but I believe it's towards the rear of the vehicle. and it's a square head plug. Grab a wire brush and scrape the goop off, you'll see it.

3. boerboel313

boerboel313

Rgr, thanks will do.

4. BRUIN4

BRUIN4

You mean the front knuckle joints? The OEM ball joints do not have grease fittings you have to raise the boot and pack it manually. The OEM tie rod ends / drag links have grease fittings.

The big front knuckle joints ( with the leaky felts ) may have a plug at the top of each knuckle to pack in grease near the steering arms at the top of the knuckle - I cant remember and thats a bit pathetic on my part because just last Sunday I changed all my ball joints and tie rod ends and looked at the knuckles to order parts to rebuild them!

5. Dynosoar

Dynosoar Slightly Disturbed SILVER Star

This is what you are looking for.

Dyno
    Greese.jpg

6. TS888

TS888

:eek: Oops, sorry, I guess that would be toward the front! For some reason, in my head I was seeing it on the back of the swivel.

7. alaska60

alaska60

If your leaking out of the felt..... packing more grease in there will turn into muck and leak again. Its the inner seal that has failed causing the gear oil to mix with your grease in the knuckle. You really need a knuckle rebuild with new seals and trunions.

JMO.