bad vibes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mntoyx4.com
I'm getting a whole lot of vibration from what I believe to be by rear driveline somewhere's. I don't notice it until around 45 mph, and it gets worse the faster I go. At any point if I let my foot off the gas, it immediately goes away
I'm gonna get under there tomorrow, what should I be looking for.
Pinion bearing?
Transfer case bearing?
Others?
How should I go about checking these?

try driveshaft, i'm going through the same thing right now with my FJ40.

let me know if you nail something, i'm stuck

have you recently changed anything on your rig, i.e.: lifted suspension, bigger tires,etc... that may have changed the angle of your driveline? have you recently taken the driveline off and not matched the splines up exactly the way they were when you took it off?

i'm guessing here but it you haven't done anything and the problem has just appeared, i'd suspect worn u-joints first, worn bearings second. check all connection points and verify that everything is tight.

good luck,

-dogboy- '87 FJ60

This really came out of nowhere.

I do have an update though.
I removed my rear driveshaft and have been driving in 4wd (front wheel drive). It drives smoother that it ever has under my possetion (2 years). Truly night and day. I'm going to take my driveshaft in and have it reconditioned/balanced and hopefully that will take care of it. It is the cheapest part of the rear driveline to replace, so it makes a good place to start.

Make sure your pinion angle is right. I had one once that was a couple degrees too high and it vibrated except off the gas. One pair of shims later it was smooth as glass. Remember, when you are on the gas the pinion comes up a couple degrees. Off the gas, down a couple.

could be like me and be a pinion bearing (i think)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom