Bad Ballast resistor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pin_Head said:
It can't be a bad ignitor if it runs fine when you how wire it.

I completely disconnected the ignitor to get it to run.

OK, I missed that, but it starts and runs as long as you hold the key in the start position, doesn't it? If it runs even under these circumstances, the ignitor doesn't sound bad.

The points style ignitor can be tested pretty easily: hook up the coil and ignitor + to a battery +, the coil and ignitor ground to the battery minus and then momentarily ground (battery -) the distributor wire. This should make a big fat spark from the coil high tension wire.

Is the little part to the left of the positive cable the ballast resistor? If so where can I source this part? The one napa and others list looks totally different.
Can't find a Toyota number either.
40 dead as a hammer. Turns over no fire. Acts like a bad coil. Been told resistor may be problem but need a source.
Thanks for any help!
image-3015641271.jpg

A buddy bought a 76 FJ40 a few years ago and it was doing the same thing yours is doing. As soon as he released the key from the start position the truck went dead. There was a ceramic resistor on the firewall that was bad. $5 part and he was running again. Not sure that is a stock part or not. Who knows about the previous owners.

Replace the Ballast resistor. Mine is a 76' and had the exact same symptoms.
Recently went with an electronic Trollhole distributor, and an internally ballasted coil. Made it a whole new machine and I'll never look back.

Is the little part to the left of the positive cable the ballast resistor? If so where can I source this part? The one napa and others list looks totally different.
Can't find a Toyota number either.
40 dead as a hammer. Turns over no fire. Acts like a bad coil. Been told resistor may be problem but need a source.
Thanks for any help!

The little silver part is to reduce electrical noise... A condenser.

As for ballast resistors, get a waterproof Chevy one from Napa or parts supplier of your choice.

Seriously? Not to sound rude but do you really need your hand held to drive to Autozone and purchase the part you know is the problem??
18$ and it's fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom