Backup Camera Location Assistance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I installed a backup camera this weekend and have it in a temp location which works really well for trailer hookup. I can back up to the hitch right up to the receiver ball with no issue. But i dont like the placement and need advice.

Id like to drill right into the bumper but there is steel there and not sure what size screw to use. Any ideas on this?

Here is the camera i purchased. I dint want to go with a license plate one since it would shoe the cable routing from the plate up the tail gate.

EDIT:
Just found this surfing around...anyone know if it will fit?
Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

Night-Vision-Car-Parking-Camera-For-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-LC-100-LC100-1998-2007-Backup-RearView/1000002013418.html?spm=2114.40010508.4.73.qmpr7g

Amazon.com: Esky EC170-11 World Smallest HD Color CMOS Waterproof Vehicle Car Rear View Backup Camera, 170 Degree Viewing Angle Rearview Camera- Size: 0.86*0.65*0.50 inch (No Guideline Version): Cell Phones & Accessories

IMG_0413[1].JPG

Last edited:
If you wanted to drill into the bumper you could just consider a set of shallow self tapping screws. Just make sure you get stainless if you go this route. IH8RUST.

From the pics, it looks like the lens bezel screws off (so you can attach the mount.) I'd be tempted to put a 1/2" hole in the bumper and recess it in there...with plenty of silicone.

It wouldn't sit as flush as this one, but you get the idea...
image.jpeg

The bumper cover comes off pretty easy. I'd remove it to get a better look. I just looked under my truck and the rear frame crossmember runs right through there. As the camera is 1/2", you may have room above or below it, or if you don't have to have it in the center, there are holes off to the sides where you might not have to drill metal.

If you do drill, make sure there's enough depth in the crossmember for the camera to sit back and a route for the wiring. You might also want to rig a spacer between the bumper cover and the crossmember so that when the camera is pushed all the way in, it doesn't dent the bumper cover. A wood block, plastic, washers, anything 1/4" thick.

I'd start with a pilot hole through the bumper cover where you want it, then remove the bumper cover and finish the crossmember hole with the step bit. Depending on the camera mount fit, you may want the cover snug and the crossmember a little loose or vice-versa, so I'd drill them separately. When you drill the metal, go slow and use lots of oil, the 3-in-1 stuff they have everywhere works fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom