B3.3 Injection Pumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I haven't posted in the diesel forum yet, but figured I'd say introduce myself. I've got an FJ40 that I have installed a Cummins B3.3 in (not on the road yet). I'm curious to see if anyone else out there is running a B3.3 with a Standadyne pump (externally it appears very similar to the DB2 pump in my old 6.2 K5). It seems most of them are equipped with another style/brand of pump. Anyone here wise on the applications of specific pump types of these engines?

Now that I'm back to working on this thing and finally fired it up the other day, I was giving the pump questions some more thought. Comparing the engine data plate HP ratings, fuel rate, and timing settings of some Turbocharged B3.3's I find this -

99 hp @ 1,800 rpm 86.9 mm^3/st 4' ATDC @ PL lift 1.5mm (Model 4BTAA3.3 G7)
85 hp @ 2,600 rpm 57 mm^3/st 8' BTDC (Model B3.3)
74 hp @ 2,600 rpm 56 mm^3/st 6' ATDC @ PL lift 1.5mm (Model B3.3)
69 hp @ 1,800 rpm 71.86 mm^3/st 0' Static (Model 4BT3.3-G5)
67 hp @ 2,100 rpm 62 mm^3/st 7.8' ATDC @ PL lift 1.5mm (Model B3.3)

I have the above 74 hp variant in the Cruiser. Seems some other folks who have done this have used the 85hp version.
I also have the 69 hp version above sitting on the floor, the others I read data plates I found pictures of online.

All of these engines seem to have the same injection pump. Both the 74 and 69 hp versions for sure have a Stanadyne DB2427-6072 pump and the same turbo. Notice the RPM the 69 hp engine makes that power at - 1,800 vs 2,600 for the 74 hp engine. The fuel rate is significantly greater on the 69 hp engine as well. I do know that the two engines whose power rating is given at 1,800 RPM are sold as generator engines. It would appear that there is some room left in my 74 hp version.. I'm thinking the factory fuel and timing settings can be duplicated without hardware changes between the variants. 99 hp at 1,800 RPM is around 289 ft-lbs. Not too shabby. What I'm not sure about is what happens above 1,800 RPM with that fuel setting? I would assume the governer is set to keep the RPM's down, but for a vehicle more than 1,800 RPM's would be necessary.

I have the original old Stanadyne DB2 shop manual and will have to do some more studying some time.. I do know that when I added a Banks turbo to my DB-2 equipped 6.2 Chevy, more fuel was only a quarter turn of the allen key away after removing a cover on the side of the pump.

I am not going to do anything with any of this information for the time being - just thinking aloud as there doesn't seem to be much info floating around on these engines aside from the couple of conversions using the 85 hp engines without any modifications.

Fuel rate basically determines torque, torque and rpm determine power.

How much fuel you can burn depends on how much boost and how much intercooling you've got. Too much fuel will get hot and smokey.

My only experience with the DB2 style pumps is on industrial engines which run at fixed rpm. It's no problem to set the throttle up variable, but your drivability might be a bit weird. I'd give it a try before bothering with anything else (like a pump swap).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom