B-series & H-series landcruiser Engine-Serial-Number/VIN-Number thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

December 1975 HJ45 Australian built imported to NZ in 1986.
Chassis HJ45 - 004940
Engine H 30931
20150930_071534.jpg
2015-09-30 09.43.46.jpg

Last edited:
Ok so I'm trying to identify an engine and hoping its a B motor could anyone help?
It's 11411-56060 and then there is a B stamped!
Thanks

Ok so I'm trying to identify an engine and hoping its a B motor could anyone help?
It's 11411-56060 and then there is a B stamped!
Thanks

Hi Bisog

If it has a big "B" by itself with no numbers in front then it will indeed be a 2977cc engine like mine, but just from a later model Toyota than my 1979.

Unfortunately most block numbers don't work on Toyota's database (to be able to run a search on them), and so it's no surprise that I can't use your part number to tell me the models and production years of the vehicles it was installed in.

Does it have a rotary-type injector pump?

:beer:

Hi Bisog

If it has a big "B" by itself with no numbers in front then it will indeed be a 2977cc engine like mine, but just from a later model Toyota than my 1979.

Unfortunately most block numbers don't work on Toyota's database (to be able to run a search on them), and so it's no surprise that I can't use your part number to tell me the models and production years of the vehicles it was installed in.

Does it have a rotary-type injector pump?

image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks for the response
The engine doesn't have a pump on it so I'm not sure is there any other way of identifying? The engine is at a wrecker I'm trying to find parts for my bj40 I'm hopeful it is a B so I can use the oil pump from it.
I just picked up a bj40 its got original 80000km very very clean we tried to start her but we have no oil pressure. We have put it down to the oil pump as the timing cover has marks on it from the gears in the pump. The timing cover is a little different to mine as well that's why I'm not sure. I want to keep the original engine since it's so clean. I'll post a picture
Thanks again

View attachment 1192558 View attachment 1192556 Thanks for the response
The engine doesn't have a pump on it so I'm not sure is there any other way of identifying? The engine is at a wrecker I'm trying to find parts for my bj40 I'm hopeful it is a B so I can use the oil pump from it.
I just picked up a bj40 its got original 80000km very very clean we tried to start her but we have no oil pressure. We have put it down to the oil pump as the timing cover has marks on it from the gears in the pump. The timing cover is a little different to mine as well that's why I'm not sure. I want to keep the original engine since it's so clean. I'll post a picture
Thanks again

View attachment 1192569 This is my original cover

I'll throw a spanner in the works and say that I doubt anything on that engine is compatible with yours.

It looks to me like it's out of a Dyna made in the 1990s.

The block will even be different as it will have the 5-bearing camshaft and oil squirters etc that we don't have.

Thanks for your help I'll go and keep trying to find a B motor there hard to find these days.

Thanks for your help I'll go and keep trying to find a B motor there hard to find these days.

That Dyna motor is still classed as a 2977cc B engine ... It is just that I believe you need to find an older one with the same block casting number as the one in your BJ40.

Edit: Just did some searching (10 July 2016) and I see it looks like the oil pump on that engine is only used on B engines made after August 1980.

OIL PUMP REPAIR KIT 8 / 1980 to 8 / 1988

Last edited:
I really just want an oil pump and timing cover from a B engine to put into mine then I can keep it all original problem is finding a B engine!

Making the rounds

1984 BJ45
VIN BJ4500911648
ENG serno 0630370
CAST # 11411-58030
857 blue (medium or Royal??)

Originally imported to the NL, soon to migrate to the US.

Last edited:
1977 BJ40
VIN BJ40005997
ENG# B0115546
COLOR Anaranjado (Orange)
Imported from Costa Rica. No roll bar or heater.

April 1982 BJ42 (NZ new)
3B0432233
BJ42-000988
@lostmarbles the vin plate states 2,997cc capacity.
Also, where is physical chassis/frame stamp located to verify?

Check the right-front chassis rail (just in front of your right-front wheel) Charl.

Your chassis code/VIN (BJ42-000988) relates to a November 1980 BJ42 (way off from being an April 1982) so there's something odd going on here alright.

What do you get when you search your plates on Carjam? ... Ooops. Just remembered it's deregistered.

I suspect what you have there is a bitzer?.... (Something someone has put together from multiple vehicles?)

Thanks for your reply @lostmarbles Carjam matches the physical details:
Number plate matches VIN plate.
VIN plate matches motor number & chassis number, & trim/colour code (Toyota Amber Glow), which is all inline with Carjam. As do the kms recorded at WoFs/RUCs.

Do you reckon the difference in dates could be down to sitting at the dealership maybe?

Thanks for your reply @lostmarbles Carjam matches the physical details:
Number plate matches VIN plate.
VIN plate matches motor number & chassis number, & trim/colour code (Toyota Amber Glow), which is all inline with Carjam. As do the kms recorded at WoFs/RUCs.
Do you reckon the difference in dates could be down to sitting at the dealership maybe?

I've just realised I've forgotten to reply to you here Charl.. Please accept my apology..

The actual factory build-date should always be the date you're interested in (regardless of whether anyone else, such as the NZTA, may record/store other dates such as the "sold-to-end-user-date").

Only with your full model code and factory build date can you work out exactly which part numbers apply to your vehicle.

Besides - I think November 1980 and April 1982 are too far apart for "sitting in a dealership" to explain it (even if the NZTA had chosen to use the "sold-date" in your case - which I don't think they should have).

Here's the website I use to work out a late-model build-date (so you can see for yourself):
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
Type in your frame number as BJ42-0000988
(Note that I've added an extra zero because there must be 7 digits in the number.)

You'll notice that it says your build date is November 1980 and I have confidence that this will be the genuine build date for your chassis.

But suppose at some time someone transplanted a B engine into this vehicle (because you need to realise it could NEVER have left the factory with a B-engine in that frame) and re-registered it (from unregistered/dead-plates) --- maybe even in April 1982 would that perhaps explain this?

So does it REALLY have a 2977cc B-engine in it? (It is most unusual for anyone to effectively convert a BJ42 to a BJ40 in this way!)

Have a look at the engine block towards the rear and under the intake manifold. You will see either the capital letter "B" by itself or "3B" there in raised letters on the casting. Which is it?

And I see you've given your engine number as 0432233. Is this the number on both your VIN plate and engine block itself? (Where it is stamped on the engine block is explained earlier in this thread.)

I've just realised I've forgotten to reply to you here Charl.. Please accept my apology..

The actual factory build-date should always be the date you're interested in (regardless of whether anyone else, such as the NZTA, may record/store other dates such as the "sold-to-end-user-date").

Only with your full model code and factory build date can you work out exactly which part numbers apply to your vehicle.

Besides - I think November 1980 and April 1982 are too far apart for "sitting in a dealership" to explain it (even if the NZTA had chosen to use the "sold-date" in your case - which I don't think they should have).

Here's the website I use to work out a late-model build-date (so you can see for yourself):
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
Type in your frame number as BJ42-0000988
(Note that I've added an extra zero because there must be 7 digits in the number.)

You'll notice that it says your build date is November 1980 and I have confidence that this will be the genuine build date for your chassis.

But suppose at some time someone transplanted a B engine into this vehicle (because you need to realise it could NEVER have left the factory with a B-engine in that frame) and re-registered it (from unregistered/dead-plates) --- maybe even in April 1982 would that perhaps explain this?

So does it REALLY have a 2977cc B-engine in it? (It is most unusual for anyone to effectively convert a BJ42 to a BJ40 in this way!)

Have a look at the engine block towards the rear and under the intake manifold. You will see either the capital letter "B" by itself or "3B" there in raised letters on the casting. Which is it?

And I see you've given your engine number as 0432233. Is this the number on both your VIN plate and engine block itself? (Where it is stamped on the engine block is explained earlier in this thread.)

Thanks for your reply @lostmarbles - I completely understand any delay at this time with the events of your Thursday(?) - it was strangely hard to sleep after reading your news. As always, your time to advice is much appreciated.

Having searched images/details of VIN plates on line, is the "cc" printing on the top left of the VIN plate actually related to the engine capacity? in either case, I mis-typed and it is 1770 CC. The engine number was found stamped/engraved behind the inlet manifold at the front left of the engine - it is indeed 3B (just behind the EDIC FCM).

Thank you for the toyodiy link - will prove helpful. Will remember the significance of the true build date - this explains some disparity with finding some parts (already knowing the accurate build date has saved some confusion with ordering parts).

PS: thanks to some of your info in numerous other threads, faults with the glow system have been rectified, as too the EDIC (common) issues, and some wiper wiring faults. While working on the truck, your ethos keeps coming to mind, to inspire the OCD side & return to factory spec & clean/tidy to the highest possible standard (such as EDIC FCM thoroughly cleaned & polished). It sure is bringing great satisfaction. :)

Certainly

Having searched images/details of VIN plates on line, is the "cc" printing on the top left of the VIN plate actually related to the engine capacity? in either case, I mis-typed and it is 1770 CC......

Any chance of posting a pic of your VIN plate?

The one on my BJ40 did correctly show my engine capacity as 2977cc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom