B-series & H-series landcruiser Engine-Serial-Number/VIN-Number thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Poser/Steve is doing it in the "40 and 55 series tech forum" as a "sticky" for cruisers with F and 2F petrol engines. So I'm thinking ....why haven't we done the same for our cruisers fitted with B, 2B, 3B, H, 2H, 13BT etc diesels.

Once sufficient people contribute in each vehicle/engine category (which I admit may take significantly longer than for Steve's thread - due to the lower numbers worldwide) ....graphs like this one (put together by Martian) can eventually be made:

EngineSerialNos.jpg

This graph enables someone who buys a second-hand 2F engine to work out its production date easily and with reasonable accuracy - from just the serial number.

And it's not easy for the owner of a diesel cruiser to even pinpoint the production date/month of the vehicle itself! So hopefully this thread can eventually help there too (from the input of owners who already know all this data about their vehicles).

And we can also include details in this thread of where to locate identification details. For instance on the B- diesel (1B) fitted to a BJ40, the engine serial number is found here:

EngineNo.jpg
Edit Feb2013 - Swapped this pic because the one I had there before was of the number on my spare engine which was inconsistant with my details shown below.

It took me a long while to discover this hidden location and it was very hard to photograph. You actually need to look down between the 2 rearmost ports of the inlet manifold (by the dipstick).

Anyway I'll kick this thread off with details of my vehicle:
Landcruiser model : BJ40RV-KCQ
Build date (as accurate as I'm able to determine): July 1979
Engine Serial No: 0294407
Block Casting : 11411-56020
Frame No. (also called "VIN No.") : BJ40 - 0038478

:beer:

PS. I have a personal motive for doing this in that I want to determine the build date for that spare engine I bought ....ie. The one whose serial number I photographed above.

PPS. Is anyone able to show me how to determine the build date directly from any casting data on a 1B block?
EngineSerialNos.jpg
EngineNo.jpg

Last edited:
Heres mine..

Model : BJ61
Build Date : Jan 1985
Engine Serial No : 0701889 (3B)
Frame No : BJ61 - 003528
Block Casting No : 11411-58040

:steer:

Here's my 40...

Landcruiser model : BJ40RV - KCQ
Build date: March 1979
Engine Serial No: 0266347
Block Casting : 11411-56020
Frame No. : BJ40 - 033461

For the HJ45:
Landcruiser model : HJ45 RV-KCQ
Build date: July, 1980
Engine Serial No: H 89908
Frame No. (also called "VIN No.") : HJ45-048732

Last edited:
I don't know my block cast numbers, but I'll throw up the other details that I do know.

Model: HJ 45 RP-KQ
Build date: 01/1980 (Australian compliance plate says 2/80)
Engine serial: H80720
Frame no. HJ 45044134

Model: HJ 47RV-KCQ
Build date: 08/1984 (Aussie plate says 09/'84)
Engine serial:1082938
Frame no. HJ 47 - 037030

Here is the start of mine

1983:FJ :JT3FJ60G2D0064459
engine 2F casting # 11411-61013 ser #709064 Recycled

1984:BJ diesel JT3BJ60G5E0012405
3B engine casting # 11411-58030
serial # 0616880

1983:BJ JT3BJ60G9D0011658
3B;0590194

Done

VT

THanks Lostmarbles !!
Good to know where to look .
2F engine I shoot a few pix and post the spots.

Last edited:
Is Vin also required ?

VT

The VIN contains the chassis mumber and I think this could be useful to some people. --- For instance , it will enable someone to estimate the production date of a chassis simply from the letters and numbers that are stamped on it.

So ...I think it's best to just do what you're doing. ie. Provide whatever you can right away ..and then edit your post to add whatever else comes to hand later.

And I'd really like to see the moderators put this as a sticky at the top of this Diesel Forum so that it remains in view. (Firstly, it's got to be at least as useful as the other stuff there, and secondly, I expect it to take quite a while for the desired quantity of data to accumulate - mainly because of the low numbers of diesel cruisers in the USA.)

:cheers:

PS. You only need to look at this thread (started today) to see how popular the diesels are worldwide:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ffen-4-5-series-france-what-youve-missed.html

Oh and here's a pic of where to find the casting mumber on a B, 2B or 3B:

BlockNumber.jpg

(LH side of the motor just to the rear of the injector pump.)
BlockNumber.jpg

OK, Here's my numbers: engine SN: 020619
engine casting: 11411-56020
frame number: BJ40001148
1975 BJ40 in Costa Rica.
Pura Vida,
George

So...where would i look to find the serial number of my diesel ? Is this it behind the exhaust manifold at the rear of the block?

serialnumber.jpg

Yes, that's the location of the engine no. on the H diesel.

Here's my 1984 Canadian BJ60-3B numbers, all original.
build date 09/84
frame s/n BJ60 - 0014453
3B engine s/n 0674202
3B engine block casting 11400-58040

Here is my data:

BJ40 LV-KC
Build date: Jan. 1978
Import date: Feb. 1978 in Costa Rica
Frame# BJ40-014339
Engine# 0174436
Block# 11411-56020

Pura Vida! :beer:

Rudi

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me how to tell the difference a B, 2B, or 3B diesel by looking at it or by serial number? I have a diesel with a casting on the left side of the block that says "B" (do they all say B, or should it say "2B" or "3B"?) and 11411-56020 (it appears odd to me that several of the respondents have the same casting number).

If it's stamped "B" then it's a "B". As simple as that.

Thanks for the blunt but correct response. After getting no help from either the Toyota dealer or the Toyota B diesel manual, it was quite frustrating how much effort this simple matter incurred. I now see that all of the Toyota diesels are stamped B, 3B, 13B, 14B, etc. I hope this will help others who purchase engines as mine was incorrectly sold to me as a 3B when it is clearly a B.
3B Diesel (early).jpeg
14B Diesel.jpeg
15 B Diesel.jpeg

Here are more photos making the point. (These photos are from the web and do not represent the company that sold me a B engine as a 3B). I could not find a photo showing the stamping on the (black 4 valve) super sweet 15B.

Sorry, the files would not upload. See them at this web site needed:

Yamato Diesel Engines Home

Yamato sure do make their reconditioned engines look nice 2buff. It would be interesting to hear the experiences of any members who've purchased them.

Thanks for the blunt but correct response. After getting no help from either the Toyota dealer or the Toyota B diesel manual, it was quite frustrating how much effort this simple matter incurred. I now see that all of the Toyota diesels are stamped B, 3B, 13B, 14B, etc. I hope this will help others who purchase engines as mine was incorrectly sold to me as a 3B when it is clearly a B.

Sorry if I was blunt, maybe I understood your question wrong. You can see clearly the B and 3B markings on the engines.
B engine.jpg 3B engine.jpg

Rudi
3B engine.jpg
B engine.jpg

As a side-track ...... don't those 4 "thingies" that I've put a red dot on suggest that this late-model B engine is equipped with oil-squirters?

OilSqirtersB.JPG

If so, it blows away the criticism so many people place on B engines.

I often hear people say that B-engines in general are weaker than 3B engines and a typical reason they give is "lack of piston skirt oil cooling".

I think what those people should really be saying is simply that newer B-series engines (whether B, 2B or 3B) have certain features that make them more robust.

And then even this statement should be clarified further by saying "the extra strength is usually only needed if you intend pushing the engine further ... such as by fitting a turbo".

And then, to add balance, you should say that not all changes on the newer engines are positive. For instance the newer engines are likely to have economised by switching to distributor/rotary-type injector pumps and likely to have done away with dry-liners.

But then .... perhaps I'm just getting defensive because I run an older B. :D
OilSqirtersB.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom