Axle Swap... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

G

Hey everyone,
I have been toying around with an idea that a friend gave me...I have a 72 Fj40. Also, I have the complete drive train of a 79 Bronco XLT, more specifically, a 9inch rear and dana 44 front. My Buddy said I should try swaping out the cruiser axles with these two. I've thought about it, mostly of how much work it would take and if it would be worth it. Any input or advice? Any would be great!
Thanks!
Rob

you would have to swap out your trans/tcase most likely assuming that the 9" is a center diff,and the 44 is whatever side.you would have to take that into consideration.(40's are passenger side pumkins front & rear.)but if you have all the ford stuff,motor,trans/tcase,go for it.

oh to answer your question.
lots of work!!!it'll keep you busy for awhile,and youre not going to do the conversion yourself(pay someone)i wouldnt do it.
dont forget about springs either,the perches on the axle will be different.or you can weld on(maybe)some 40 perches if theyed work or fab some up.but ive heard f-150 rears work well under 40's.but i have no further knowledge on that swap.well whatever you do good luck!
imo,keep it cruiser :D

I put Scout 44's under my '71 cruiser. It took about 5 months to complete due to the fact that I 4 linked the front end. lots and lots of work. I basically work 3 nights a week and weekends to complete.

I put Scout 44's under my '71 cruiser. It took about 5 months to complete due to the fact that I 4 linked the front end. lots and lots of work. I basically work 3 nights a week and weekends to complete.
Got any pictures :D

I had a 79 at one time too, same as your drive train, assuming you have the C-6 Auto and NP 209 Tcase it is a pretty long set up. You would need to get an adapter or something to let the trans bolt up to the 2F? that is in the Cruiser now.

need to make perches for the front axle and cut out the coil pads.
also the C clips need to come out. they bolted into the radius arms of the bronco.
then probably custom drive shafts. Possibly some goofy drive angles.
Sounds like a lot of spent Grinder wheels. but good luck.

I am pretty sure that a '79 Bronco XLT would have the C-6 automatic transmission and an NP203 transfer case. The GRB of the 203 is great for a doubler, but as a stand alone transfer case the NP203 is a 300 lb. piece of junk (IMO). Full-time, chain drive and only 2.0:1 low ratio. Also, the C-6 NP 203 combo would be too long for an FJ40. So all that work and reliance on an NP203 trransfer case just to be able to use a free driver's side drop Dana 44 is not worth much consideration in my book. You would be better off trading or selling the Ford D44 for a GM or Dodge with a passenger's side drop.

I would probable use just the axles and not the tcase...the tentative setup is SB V8, 4L60E tranny and what I believe was a 231 tcase...anyway, the tcase Iws planning on using would match the diffs on the Bronco...but I have the tcase and tranny out of the bronco if anyone is interested

Posted by: Planet_X Posted on: 01/16/03 at 12:00:30
on 01/16/03 at 07:58:37, Niner wrote:I put Scout 44's under my '71 cruiser. It took about 5 months to complete due to the fact that I 4 linked the front end. lots and lots of work. I basically work 3 nights a week and weekends to complete.
Got any pictures
still trying to figure that out. I have the camera and web space to put them but I need to buy woody some beer and have him come over and give me a lesson.

although I do have the new dash he asked for maybe I'll hold it hostage

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom