Aux. gas tank on '69 fj40. is it stock?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by pedwards, Sep 13, 2012.

1. pedwards

pedwards

A 1969 FJ40 im looking at has an auxiliary gas tank door (not sure if the tank is there, but i assume it is). is that a stock factory option, or an aftermarket addon?
  2. pavieSD

pavieSD

aftermarket
  3. pedwards

pedwards

pic here
    photo (1).JPG
  4. Hugh Heifer

Hugh Heifer Stapler....where's my stapler. ... SILVER Star

Aftermarket. Probably an old Confer tank. Instructions in my sig line. They are quite nice IMO considering the mileage these gas hogs get but they can rust and are kinda thin. I just had one lined and it was not cheap but the added capacity in the truck I am building will be welcome.

The same style tank is available at MAF in thick aluminum or steel for a pretty penny.
    http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa5/21gallonFJ40auxillaryfueltank.htm
  5. pedwards

pedwards

sweet.
    can i expect a exchange pump that dumps fuel from the aux into the main, or a switchover that chooses which tank to feed the carburetor?
  6. farmerjoe

farmerjoe

Handy and timely post. the '65 I just bought has the same, though the tank is long gone. Still has the lines etc. so probably would not take much to hook one up. Note sure I feel like spending 1G on it though!

[​IMG]
  7. Living in the Past

Living in the Past SILVER Star

Bought my 68 back in 1974, been in AZ the whole. Has the same gas door as this 69. Itis either or not auxiliary fill main tank. The lever to switch tanks is on the floor between the toolbox and door. I have a 70 with a different opening but the same tank. The valve on the one is at the back of the transmission cover under the passenger's seat. Both tanks have skid plate the hangs off the frame tube around the rear axle and rear cross member. I have a few other spare tanks that hang off rear floor and just a round hole for the gas cap. Being this 69 is AZ curious how close the spare tank is to my 68.
  8. ar2stp48

ar2stp48

Have a '66 with aux tank and skid plate; filler looks like one farmerjoe posted. Selector valve is mounted from floor between seats.