Australian FJ40 - A possible rebuild thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

.... Any headlight upgrade recommendations from any Aussies or Kiwis? Are these ok: 55w Toyota Landcruiser 40 Series Headlight Fast Start HID Conversion Kit

I don't see the point in going for the most powerful lights in a vehicle where high-speed handling is compromised by high centre-of-gravity, solid axles, leaf-springs-all-around etc.

So I prefer to just go with either Cibie or Hella "inserts" and H4 bulbs..

These are both suitable for us (driving on the correct/left side of the road):
Cibie01.jpg

Hella01.jpg

:beer:

For tiny holes in hard to reach places I'm a fan of brazing. But only as a last resort.

quick update; started to prime the RHS of the car, waiting for the rear panel/skin arrive from the US for the LHS. Work should start on that in the next two weeks.

Have also got a few other things going. The father-in-law has re-sprayed the glove box, grab bar and speedo - It gave me the chance to put some LEDs in the speedo. Also about to order seals for all the windows in the back - ambulance and corner windows etc.

Its starting to come together!

:beer:

IMG_5102.jpg

As an Australian I object to all our stuff going over to you guys as it makes it so much harder to get the bits I need:bang:
So please start shipping everything pinched from our shores back. Please:clap:Cheers, thank you

As an Australian I object to all our stuff going over to you guys as it makes it so much harder to get the bits I need:bang:
So please start shipping everything pinched from our shores back. Please:clap:Cheers, thank you

You hit the wrong thread with this (unless you guys are really parochial over there over your individual states within "the lucky country").. :hmm:

But even if you chose a more appropriate thread - they wouldn't listen.

(It's every man for himself with a 40-series obsession...Even my BJ40 originates from Perth WA and is therefore STOLEN from you guys!)

Most of the hoard of parts seem to be north (being a Southerner myself, Victoria) the dry conditions maybe help with longevity. This could be a Australian version of the North v South "Battle for the Parts" :wrench: Cheers

Cheers Sarge.

Top coated most of the joint areas and dash. The father-in-law was with the painter when the top coat went on; I got a call later on to ask if it was the same colour as the beige I wanted (toyota 464 edge is what I have). It does look a bit different in person to the images I sent him, more of green hint in the paint than anything.

It looks great though!!

IMG_5276.jpg
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5278.jpg
IMG_5279.jpg

So jealous my baby still having little bits done, seems like no progress. Think it might be work & family have to go!

Ive had a read through my own thread and have noticed that every second post seemed to say "in two weeks X should happen" ... which hasn't been the case. We have hit a snag with the windscreen I bought from the wreckers yard. We did a dummy run trying to fit it with the new seals on and something hasn't quite right - the back of the windscreen which joins up to the dash was slightly raised, also the vents didnt line up from the tub, the rubber and the windscreen.

It seems that it had been welded previously and not measured quite right, so it was pulled in on the centre. Hopefully getting that sorted next week.

Today though was spent putting most of the topcoat on. I can't believe how good it looks! (Im not biased at all!). Some pics below are of my daughter having a play once the rear doors went on, the rest are from todays painting:

IMG_5374.jpg
IMG_5380.jpg
IMG_5386.jpg
IMG_5443.jpg

IMG_5444.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom