August ROTM - Riggs Flat Lake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great! Don't want to get yelled at by the Law though, I'll just tell them I'm fishing, not hunting. :p

CB channel 4 it is.

I would leave Poo Bear at home, too tempting...

20160827_054246.jpg
14723018732001846880488.jpg

14723021028162031143119.jpg

Clear to the North, gloomy to the South.

Waiting fur y'all!

August ROTM – Riggs Flat Lake

Trip Leader: @floggerdogger

Date: August 27th
Time: 9:00am
Place: Gold Canyon Shell station [7138 US60, Gold Canyon, AZ 85118]

Route Description: US-60 E and US-70 E (Safford, AZ); S 20th Avenue S (JD’s Grill House) to Discovery Park Blvd E; SR-191 S to AZ-366 W in Swift Trail Junction; AZ-366 W to Riggs Flat Lake.

Now that it’s the ‘middle’ of the Summer, it’s time for a break.

This run will get us to 8600’ with NF campsites and dispersed camping as well (first come, first serve).

Riggs Flat Lake is part of the Pinaleno Mountains, better know as Mount Graham, which is the highest of Arizona's Sky Island mountain ranges and are the only range with peaks higher than 10,000 feet in elevation. Sky islands are isolated mountains surrounded by radically different lowland environments.

This is a 4.5 hour trip without any side excursions. This is a ‘stocker-friendly’ event that includes a little bit of everything in the great outdoors without the HEAT!! Click here for the details.

**UPDATE**
Date for August ROTM has been changed to August 27th.

Feedback has been very positive for this run and I believe that we will have a great turnout . . . especially if it continues to be hotter than normal for this time of year here in the Valley.

What I find surprising is the number of folks, well traveled folks I may add, that have never been to Riggs Flat Lake and are looking forward to the 'discovery' of a new destination. The fact that access to the area is blocked off for half the year couldn't possibly have anything to do with that . . . :doh:

** ANOTHER UPDATE **

Well . . . for two reasons that was a great run:

A. NO RAIN
B. It never got above 70 degrees!!

I want to thank @Dimples and son, @Stepmurr, @Dissent and his kids, Alvis with sister Julie and their "Boss" Jeff.

In total we had four 80's, a 100, and @Stepmurr's Tacoma

@Stepmurr and CJ have done some additional scouting and I would like to do this again next ROTM July at an undeveloped site that sits right on the edge of the mountain with plenty of room for everyone AND 'facilities' nearby for those needing such luxuries. We will need chainsaws and chains to spruce the place up a little but I think it would be a great destination site for a 3-dayer . . . .

it can not be that nice.JPG

. . . on the way . . .

stoppin to put jackets on.JPG

. . . stoppin to put on outer wear . . .

just a little closer.JPG

. . . Alvis showing off . . .

look   no rain.JPG

. . . LOOK . . . NO RAIN!! . . .

north end of Pinalenos05.JPG

. . . views from possible future campsite . . .

Oh . . . I almost forgot . . .

it happens01.JPG

. . . just ONE mishap on the way . . .

puttin a bow on it.JPG

. . . and Discount Tire said there was nothing noticeably wrong with tire . . . TWICE!! . . . :bang:

Oh . . . I almost forgot . . .. . . and Discount Tire said there was nothing noticeably wrong with tire . . . TWICE!! . . . :bang:

Even though one brings up a vibration. been there.

Even though one brings up a vibration. been there.

Even though that was the 3rd tire in 3 weeks that I came in for. The other two had bubbles and were replaced 7 days apart. This one was "horribly out of balance" and they thought nothing of it having balanced this very Tire twice in the prior two weeks and argued that there wasn't a partner separation issue. Unbelievable!

Thanks to everyone who hopped to, crawled under, and wrenched this back to perfection. I was in the presence of a well oiled pit crew, it was dealt with so quickly it was remarkable.

Ya put the raised white letters on the wrong side, so it must be operator error... lol. Good you had a spare and help to use it.

Use engine brake coming back down if you are running drum brakes, and even running disc, you stand a chance of boiling your brake fluid. I made that mistake last summer, and had little or no brake at the bottom.

Use engine brake coming back down if you are running drum brakes, and even running disc, you stand a chance of boiling your brake fluid. I made that mistake last summer, and had little or no brake at the bottom.

Don, long time no see, nice to hear from you.:cheers:

Don, long time no see, nice to hear from you.:cheers:

Disappeared for about 5 years. Running two businesses (sold one last Dec), and wife's health issues. Getting ready to do a front and rear disc brake conversion. Do you still have the old red beast?

Disappeared for about 5 years. Running two businesses (sold one last Dec), and wife's health issues. Getting ready to do a front and rear disc brake conversion. Do you still have the old red beast?

Orange, yes it has been awhile (5 years?, Good grief time flies).
You still have the 40 I assume, and the piggie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom