ATRAC question for GX 470 compared to other models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone! I should introduce myself as this is my first post.
I have been browsing around this forum for a while any finally decided to pull the trigger on buying a GX.
I recently picked up a 2006 GX 470 and I am coming from a 3rd gen 4runner. I used to post on 4runner-forums.org.

There are several Toyota models (FJ, 4runner, tacoma) that have ATRAC and I am pretty sure the GX is one of them. What I find strange is that all the other models have a button labeled "ATRAC" in the cab. I am assuming this button turns it off and on.

The GX does not have this button. It seems the only button is for Down Hill Assist.

Does this mean ATRAC is always on in the GX and it can't be turned off?

Yep! It runs in 4H, 4L, and all other situations. Better results with CDL locked though as the center diff doesn't have ATRAC :p

Thanks for helping me understand and thanks for the quick response.

It funny the GX is the only model not to have a button that i know of.

You can wire in your own 'ATRAC off' switch if you want to disable it (along with ABS)

A rear locker and front ATRAC makes everything stupid easy. Almost takes the fun out of it

I am going to put Atrac2 to a test this weekend. Gonna try "The Wall" on Poughkeepsie Gulch. Most say lockers needed. Of course I have seen plenty of video of regular 4Runners and LR4's crawl right up. Then some Jeeps spinning all 4 tires and tearing it all up. Pray it is dry.

I hope it is dry, some friends and I are doing a night of camping on Stoney Pass road

OP, congrats on getting a GX

You can wire in your own 'ATRAC off' switch if you want to disable it (along with ABS)

What! On the GX! I need more info on how to disable the ABS for high speed washes. And probably would be fine without ATRAC in this off-road situation.

I still haven’t figured out how to use atrac on my 2003. My wheels spin when I get stuck on a rock and there’s loose dirt behind the rocks. I’ve tried the not going over 2000 rpms and tapping the brakes. I didn’t air down, so I’ll try that next.

I have no lockers other than the cdl. I usually figure out how to keep moving forward and keep on climbing, but it seems like my 80 could crawl better and with only cdl.

I’m going to air down next time I go to pismo beach in the sand. My 80 was like a sand buggy in pismo with just airing down to 20 lbs.

You have to let it eat. Use both pedals.

@madtoy can you elaborate on this ATRAC off switch? I really want a way to disable my ABS while off-road. This is the one thing that I miss from my 80 Series.

Run 4H with the CDL locked :p

Run 4H with the CDL locked :p

Never CDLed when in 4H but in 4L, VSC is turned off but I'm pretty sure ATRAC is still on....am I mistaken?

Because ABS freaks out on loose dirt. With the 80 Series you install a CDL switch from an unused plug hidden in the dash and once you hit it it locks the center and disables the ABS.
On the GX it lights up the Center lock and VSC lights on your gauges activating both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom