Are Fender Flairs Painted? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris, Use your jobber discount to get a reasonable price if you really care about fender flares. IMO you should remove the rest of them, but use a wrench this time. I can't imagine going back to a fat, flared 80.

I posted to the cool 80 list asking if someone had a used one. I figure if I can find one cheap I'll put it on for now. If I can't find one it looks like the body and paint work is going to cost around $500 to remove the holes. That's about the cost of replacing two broken flairs. With the kind of rocks this thing is going to see I think the flairs are going to be a regular problem.

For under $10 you can fill the holes with rubber/plastic plugs from NAPA. May be tough to find white colored plugs though.

Keep's black flairs look great but I am thinking long term I am going to bust up too many of these expensive little things.

Pat Takash has a photo of an 80 that had the flairs removed and painted black. This may be more practical for the long term

Keep's black flairs look great but I am thinking long term I am going to bust up too many of these expensive little things.

Pat Takash has a photo of an 80 that had the flairs removed and painted black. This may be more practical for the long term

Chris that is Pat's 80 on those 37" MT/R's on last years Rubithon. The 80's and that 80 did great on the trail - excluding the little & Old sluice sections.

Really didn't notice the flares / no flares...... :tomatoe:

Did you use the same caster correction bushings for the "J" fronts / 863 HD rear springs?

What thread did you list the SS brake line lengths?

Thanks

Joe

I am using the standard ARB caster correcting bushings.

The brake lines are as follows:

Left Front Male-Female 18.5"
Right Front Female-Female 15"
Rear Male-Female 15"

Chris,
I bought the MAF brake lines before I knew that All Pro carried them.

One of the things that I wished they had was an outer cover that would keep the SS braid from rubbing through other things if they happen to come in contact with something else.

Are yours coated or enclosed in plastic?
-B-

-B-

Generally, most SS line mfgrs just use the standard "shrink tubing" over the AN-3 line for protection. Most of the time import owners want various colors for that bling bling.

Chris

Thanks for the SS line lengths - gives me a starting point when I assemble some lines next week.

Joe

Chris,
I bought the MAF brake lines before I knew that All Pro carried them.

One of the things that I wished they had was an outer cover that would keep the SS braid from rubbing through other things if they happen to come in contact with something else.

Are yours coated or enclosed in plastic?
-B-

Yes they are covered with a clear plastic sleeve that is shrunk to fit onto the line

why is the left front 3.5 inches longer than the right front?

thanks

doug

Doug,
Good question. I'm wondering myself. The stockers are the same part number on both sides........ :dunno:

The factory lines on my truck are very different left and right. The right one is much shorter than the left. The right line is Female on both ends. The left line is Male on one end and Female on the other.

The right brake line attaches to a bracket above the axle. The left line attaches directly to the axle. This point is further from the frame so a longer line is needed.

Here is a photo of the right side brake line with its bracket.

:stupid: OK, I was thinking of the hoses to the caliper. That being said, to benefit from the better pedal feel, wouldn't you want to change those too? :dunno:

I was not really worried about peddle feel. After I installed my 3" lift I found the brake lines were too short, So I had this set of lines made up to allow the axle to move without risking damage to the factory lines.

Yes additional lines could be installed on the knuckles but those lines are so short I don't think it would make any noticeable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom