Are all 2f Heads identicle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Jim said:
He's prolly referring to the 77-80 heads w/ 61031 casting. Slight improvement over 61030, plus it has the extra coolant temp ports cast over (one less crack/leak point).

The 81-87 heads in USA all have same number, 61040, though there are two distinct versions. 81-84 is 2F head, 85-later is 3F head. All 81-newer replacement heads are 3F.

Does this help any? What were we talking about? :confused:

I stand corrected. As soon as you mentioned the difference in the temp sensor ports it all came back to me. There is yet another variant in those heads.

Mark...

FJ40Jim said:
There appears to be no difference between 85-later 2F head and 85-later 3F head.

I've noticed this. The later 2F heads have a couple of unused threaded holes on the manifold face which ARE used in the 3F engines.

Mark W said:
I've noticed this. The later 2F heads have a couple of unused threaded holes on the manifold face which ARE used in the 3F engines.

Yup, there were a few guys using these heads on 2F's to add the 3FE fuel injection... :D

I would assume that they were actually using the 3FE head which has the raised section in the intake port to clear the injectors. ???

Mark W said:
I would assume that they were actually using the 3FE head which has the raised section in the intake port to clear the injectors. ???

I think the earlier 2F head with the 3FE pattern, they were thinking they could notch the head for the injector (as I recall, its been a while), I have one sitting on the shelf, I will have to look at it closer and see the big difference.

Since there seems to be so much knowledge on this thread I thought I would try to solve my mystery. I have a head on my 3/69 F that has air injection ports that have been plugged off. I know the head was not original, the PO (my dad) said that it was replaced with one he was told gave more power. Any idea what is on my engine? It has the oil tube so it sounds like it is an F head.

bringing this one back

I have an 83' 2F block. A 78-79 head will work on this block, but the compression ratio will be reduced. Correct? How much does this head need to be decked for this head/block combo

I have an 83' 2F block. A 78-79 head will work on this block, but the compression ratio will be reduced. Correct? How much does this head need to be decked for this head/block combo

does no one seriously know the answer?

Hey Offcamber, isn't this great! Gotta groove it. Do you still have your original head? Set um next to each other, take your time, compare closely, a ruler and calipers, a straight edge, sniff around, look at everthing, every detail. That way you know for sure. All the holes in the right places? and such, head chamber the same depth? You can expect variation there but if the head chamber from the new one looks the same but has less depth then more compresion. If you can get ahold of a 74f head bonus because you bang it up to 9 to 1 on top of 2f domed pistons (have a shop cc the chamber to make sure). I know, even more info than you need, but if you ask me, that is what makes it the cats ass feller been. It is a pallet to think off of.

Hey Offcamber, isn't this great! Gotta groove it. Do you still have your original head? Set um next to each other, take your time, compare closely, a ruler and calipers, a straight edge, sniff around, look at everthing, every detail. That way you know for sure. All the holes in the right places? and such, head chamber the same depth? You can expect variation there but if the head chamber from the new one looks the same but has less depth then more compresion. If you can get ahold of a 74f head bonus because you bang it up to 9 to 1 on top of 2f domed pistons (have a shop cc the chamber to make sure). I know, even more info than you need, but if you ask me, that is what makes it the cats ass feller been. It is a pallet to think off of.

If you look at the date you'll notice that offcamber's post is over four years old. I brought this thread back to get my question answered.

This subject has been discussed in length on other threads....... On a virgin head go the full .100 check clearances on alignment dowels and head bolts to make sure they don't bottom-out....

He's prolly referring to the 77-80 heads w/ 61031 casting. Slight improvement over 61030, plus it has the extra coolant temp ports cast over (one less crack/leak point).

The 81-87 heads in USA all have same number, 61040, though there are two distinct versions. 81-84 is 2F head, 85-later is 3F head. All 81-newer replacement heads are 3F.

Does this help any? What were we talking about? :confused:

Any differences in the intake and exhaust ports over these years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom