ARB Bumper: Buy Warn Fairlead or Syn. ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LFD2037

TEXAS LEXUS!
Threads
I got a really good deal on an ARB bumper for my 80, even though I never planned on an ARB, I bought one yesterday. I'll either be going with a Badlands 12K with wire or Engo 10K w/synthetic rope. If I go with the Badlands I'll need to buy a Warn roller fairlead (~$130) so that scenario will total ~$460. The Engo 10K w/ synthetic will need an offset hawse fairlead (~$50) so that scenario will be ~$475. If this was your situation, which would you choose? Thanks!

You can get a roller fairlead much cheaper than $130 WARN. They all share a universal bolt pattern from what I understand. I gave away my WARN fairlead to a club member because I went with a Hawse fairlead for my WARN 8274-50. I picked up a tweaked ARB a few weeks ago and now I need that roller fairlead back!

Good luck, Sir.

You can get a roller fairlead much cheaper than $130 WARN. They all share a universal bolt pattern from what I understand. I gave away my WARN fairlead to a club member because I went with a Hawse fairlead for my WARN 8274-50. I picked up a tweaked ARB a few weeks ago and now I need that roller fairlead back!

Good luck, Sir.
The WARN roller fairlead part #5742 is the ONLY roller fairlead that fits the ARB, for an 80, w/out any modification. That happens to be the 1 that you gave away! Good luck.

The WARN roller fairlead part #5742 is the ONLY roller fairlead that fits the ARB, for an 80, w/out any modification. That happens to be the 1 that you gave away! Good luck.

I'm in the process of fitting up the Superwinch EP9 that I bought many years ago to an ARB that a buddy gave to me. Same dilemma. The Superwinch fairlead is wider and does NOT fit the ARB. I also had purchased some synthetic Masterpull syn rope at the time when I got the winch as well as a Slee alum hawse fairlead. Then, my intention was to build my own bumper. It still is, but I'll try the ARB first to see how I like it. Rather than getting a new Warn fairlead, I decided to put the syn line on the winch and use the Slee hawse fairlead. The Slee hawse fairlead fits the lower mounting holes, but I had to trim 1/2" from the lower edge of the opening. Is here the link to my thread.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ep-9-0-superwinch-install-on-arb.823622/

Last edited:
Not having used either, but knowing that most everything from Harbor Freight is total junk and that the Engo received a lot of praise in a magazine shootout a while back, I would go with the Engo. Plus you get synthetic rope. I think this is a no-brainer.

Actually search for harbor freight winches. There's a whole thread on how they're actually good.

Not having used either, but knowing that most everything from Harbor Freight is total junk and that the Engo received a lot of praise in a magazine shootout a while back, I would go with the Engo. Plus you get synthetic rope. I think this is a no-brainer.
I normally agree about HF being junk. There's 2 items I've researched that constantly get good reviews from there & they're both surprising: their torque wrenches & winches. I avoid mud like the plague & won't be doing any REAL extreme rock crawling so I'll use this winch <3 times a year. The only reason I'm hesitant to go w/the Engo & syn. is that the syn. rope will more than likely rot before I get any decent use out of it while the cable will be going strong 10+ years from now (no rust where I live).

I'm in the process of fitting up the Superwinch EP9 that I bought many years ago to an ARB that a buddy gave to me. Same dilemma. The Superwinch fairlead is wider and does NOT fit the ARB. I also had purchased some synthetic Masterpull syn rope at the time when I got the winch as well as a Slee alum hawse fairlead. Then, my intention was to build my own bumper. It still is, but recently a buddy gave me a ARB bumper. Rather than getting a Warn fairlead, I decided to put the syn line on the winch and used the Slee hawse fairlead. The Slee hawse fairlead fits the lower mounting holes, but I had to trim 1/2" from the lower edge of the opening.
If you used an offset hawse you shouldn't have had to trim anything. Moot point now, though.

We sell the Engo 10k with cable for $369.99 with free shipping anywhere in the CONUS! That does not even include the Ih8mud discount ;)
Can you beat $425 shipped w/synthetic line? Thanks.

Our usual discounted price on the 10s is $519.99, with the mud discount of 10% it would come out to $467.99 with free shipping. We could get the 9s close to the $425 though. Our regular price on the 9s is $479.99, with the discount it would come out to $431.99. The 9s includes free shipping as well.

~Jeff

The only reason I'm hesitant to go w/the Engo & syn. is that the syn. rope will more than likely rot before I get any decent use out of it while the cable will be going strong 10+ years from now (no rust where I live).

Keep a cover on the winch/line and you should not have too many issues. My Amsteel blue is about seven years old now and going strong but I do keep the truck in a garage so it is not constantly exposed to the outdoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom