April 1971 FJ40, questions and longterm build. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Picked up a parts rig, its a 72 FJ40. Now if it would stop raining up here I could continue stripping it. Only paid $100. Had the PO lift it up on the fork lift and the frame has/had a protective coating and only surface rust. Tons of stuff to sell to recoup the cost for the donor and others to just keep.

5L85K25Jd3Ke3G93Fdc8o0264bb59a2ac17cd.jpg

5Na5Fb5Ma3Eb3Ma3N9c8ofb053e51a6091fd7.jpg

5L25N45Kf3Ka3La3M9c8o8e8de12e55af15fd.jpg

621690_393655530700576_42262691_o.jpg

Sorry you all had to see this....its tough I know. But their was no saving the tub. It was completely rusted through everywhere.

But one of the previous owners had the foresight to get the undercoating on the frame:

...and this is where the thread starts to get more interesting.

let the fun begin! Glad you finally found a good frame. That poor rusted out 40 at least had a few good parts to spare. I should be around to help you out again in a few weeks.

TK

I do need to put a parts photo/list together and post it up. Just a few items I salvaged:

Stock 72 Heater and blower (Going to clean it up and see if it all works)
Front and Rear Marker lights (Keeping)
almost brand new wiper arms
bibs and emblems (almost perfect)
under drivers seat tool box lid (great shape)
rear emblems...poor condition..but very nostalgic (Keeping)
rear tire carrier complete
Complete hood fair condition
Front bib minus headlights good condition (Keeping)
every salvageable nut and bolt I could find
the list goes on

Unfortunately the dash was chopped and stripped, all but the drivers seat were gone. fenders were smashed and no hard top. Some of this stuff I will help friends out with, others will end up being sold to recoup some cost.

Great Find on hte Donor rig. I have had few few myself. Back when I was stripping my donor 40s I did not have the capabiliy to keep/store/carry the frames. They went the way of hte dodo. I salvaged tones of stupid crap I did not nor willever need, and let go items I have already needed:( That is the problem with stripping down your parts rigs and especially stripping down your parts rigs before you have started your build. I hope to organize all my spare parts in the next few years. I am sure I will have to enlist hte help of the MUD gurus to identify some of my parts, especially if I am going to sort them by year.

I am busy as a one armed paper hanger, I am preparing for winter, preparing for my moose hunt and I even sacrificed my caribou hunt to get soem work done... but if you get in a bind or need help later on, let me know, I will be happy to help. I have lots of tools and "stuff" at my disposal. For both wenching and fabricating!

You live on base? you work on your rig on base?

Great Find on hte Donor rig. I have had few few myself. Back when I was stripping my donor 40s I did not have the capabiliy to keep/store/carry the frames. They went the way of hte dodo. I salvaged tones of stupid **** I did not nor willever need, and let go items I have already needed:( That is the problem with stripping down your parts rigs and especially stripping down your parts rigs before you have started your build. I hope to organize all my spare parts in the next few years. I am sure I will have to enlist hte help of the MUD gurus to identify some of my parts, especially if I am going to sort them by year.

I am busy as a one armed paper hanger, I am preparing for winter, preparing for my moose hunt and I even sacrificed my caribou hunt to get soem work done... but if you get in a bind or need help later on, let me know, I will be happy to help. I have lots of tools and "stuff" at my disposal. For both wenching and fabricating!

You live on base? you work on your rig on base?

Hahaha I am going to have to use the one armed hanger comment..although all a hanger does it "hang" hahahah. Yup live and work on my cruiser on base. I am stuck with a single car garage and with winter rapidly approaching I am still working on sealing up my cruiser for the winter months. If you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask either. I like the idea of you having "stuff" at your disposal...because i lack stuff and i am going to be self taught welding this winter.

This was my feeble attempt at a 360 panorama of my donor frame. I believe I will get it media blasted and then use rust bullet on it.

http://360.io/ZjDaz3

Once winter hits and the world slows down I would be happy to help with your welding projects. we have a few nice welders and such here.

Once winter hits and the world slows down I would be happy to help with your welding projects. we have a few nice welders and such here.

Sounds great. I could use some mentor-ship on welding, have yet to give it a shot (even though I just bought a welder for $300) I know I am going to want to do some reinforcement on the donor frame I have so that might be an easy start.

On a positive note I did finally get my 2F dizzy and coil timed right in my 1F. Had the Cruiser up to 70 on the highway tonight. Also put all of the donor marker lights on and working great. I still need to figure out what is wrong with my brake lights and turn signals. Brake lights do not work, and turn signals blink really, really, really, really, really, really, really slow since I switched to LEDs.

Got some mail today:

1.) What was in the box from http://www.superbrightleds.com
2.) Factory Flasher
3.) Side by Side comparison

IMG_1629_zps8b346618.jpg

IMG_1628_zps2653e209.jpg

IMG_1634_zps5dee7185.jpg

4.) Parts I am using
5.) Added some shrink tubing to the wires for later, and stripped the plastic off the connectors
6.) Crimped the connectors and slipped the shrink tubing over the connectors

IMG_1630_zps4fc25fd7.jpg

IMG_1631_zpsc07717c5.jpg

IMG_1637_zps305fdac3.jpg

7.) Done with the component, next job is to install it and verify that it works.

IMG_1638_zpsab46509d.jpg

New flasher relay works great! Only issue I have is brake lights are not working. I need to start tracing the wiring from the brake switch to the turn signal switch ( I installed a new one ) and then back. I know the wiring I did on the lights is correct...and no, I am not sure if the brake lights worked before the swap.

Pics from this weekends work:

I think this needed to be replaced, it made my 1F sound like a tractor and screwed with my timing. Now that I fixed all of the leaks the timing is really off, save that for another day this week.

IMG_1664.jpg

Cleaned up some stuff, just by doing this it added 300 HP and 650 ft pounds of torque:

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1666.jpg

Ordering a rebuild kit for my carb. I figured out it is not the original. If i decode it right it is a 1974 December 3rd.

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Nice valve cover. ;) The bling factor is high. Lol The timing thing should be easy to figure, and that thing should run like a raped ape with the new gasket and carb rebuild. Looking good!
I'm taking off for Wisconsin Tuesday and will be back Nov 7th. I'll help ya out when I get back. I haven't even looked at my project in two months. Sigh. Call me before Tuesday if you want to chat.

TK

Nice valve cover. ;) The bling factor is high. Lol The timing thing should be easy to figure, and that thing should run like a raped ape with the new gasket and carb rebuild. Looking good!
I'm taking off for Wisconsin Tuesday and will be back Nov 7th. I'll help ya out when I get back. I haven't even looked at my project in two months. Sigh. Call me before Tuesday if you want to chat.

TK

Each letter that was painted red added 3 hp and 7 ft # of torque. Have been working to many late nights to even get to resetting the timing. Going to have to sneak a peek at Coolermans website again. ;)

Major performance upgrade

sweet cover! I should consider that performance upgrade, sound well worth it!

I am back in town, been busy or gone - check my post to see what, why etc. and just cuz you should!

did you speed up your blinker? I installed LEDs on my ninja and it simply stopped flashing altogether. I fixed it my installed an incandescent bulb in each circuit under the seat. basically you need to add some resistance to get the blinkers to flash at the appropriate speed.

I have been doing nothering on my cruiser been too busy and I see no end in site. The boiler in my little garage crapped out and I have installed a temporary drip stove to warm it up. now I have to remove and weld my boiler.... could be interesting!!!

Then I will get to work and get some #$#$^#4 done!

Ltr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom