April 1971 FJ40, questions and longterm build. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear Bumper

When you are in Oregon are you going to get your rear bumper from Metal Tech? They made one for me last year with the tire carrier and can carrier swing out system on their newest design with heavier pivots than they have used in the past. Now their productions ones are based on this new design. I've got to tell you it is bullet proof and I love it.

Here is a link to a youtube video Mark made of the system just prior to shipping it to me:

100 0030 - YouTube

Mark and LT are currently putting together a PS system for me that is PSC with hydraulic ram assist and Flaming River column. I am replacing my mini truck PS conversion done last year, very disappointed with its limitations...something you may want to look into.

Have a great trip,
Rob

stop calling it an FJ

907FJ said:
When you are in Oregon are you going to get your rear bumper from Metal Tech? They made one for me last year with the tire carrier and can carrier swing out system on their newest design with heavier pivots than they have used in the past. Now their productions ones are based on this new design. I've got to tell you it is bullet proof and I love it.

Here is a link to a youtube video Mark made of the system just prior to shipping it to me:

100 0030 - YouTube

Mark and LT are currently putting together a PS system for me that is PSC with hydraulic ram assist and Flaming River column. I am replacing my mini truck PS conversion done last year, very disappointed with its limitations...something you may want to look into.

Have a great trip,
Rob

That is an awesome set up. How much did that set you back, if you don't mind sharing?

That is an awesome set up. How much did that set you back, if you don't mind sharing?

The bumper / carrier system was $1200. raw without powder coating. They can powder coat it in OR for just a bit more but we thought it best for shipping purposes to leave it raw and PC it up here in Anchorage. Unfortunately that was another $650. I did not anticipate it being quite that high for PC so that was the only kind of 'bad' surprise. :censor:

stop calling it an FJ

I dont know how to respond in a mature manner to this so.....

100 0030 - YouTube

Have a great trip,
Rob

I like this bumper for my FJ . I have already emailed them regarding building me a similar bumper for my FJ. How long did it take them to make this for your FJ? If they can get it done in a timely manner I can bring it home and paint it and install it on my FJ. Can you send me some pictures of it installed on your FJ? Thanks.

FJ FJ FJ FJ FJ FJ
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40. :grinpimp:

I dont know how to respond in a mature manner to this so.....

I like this bumper for my FJ . I have already emailed them regarding building me a similar bumper for my FJ. How long did it take them to make this for your FJ? If they can get it done in a timely manner I can bring it home and paint it and install it on my FJ. Can you send me some pictures of it installed on your FJ? Thanks.

FJ FJ FJ FJ FJ FJ
1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ 40. :grinpimp:

I'll take some pics tomorrow of the bumper installed, they did a great job and it looks great on my FJ :popcorn:

LMAO,
Rob

Been a long couple months. Went on 30 days leave back to Oregon only to have to turn around and go back for another 15 days. But I am back and have been doing a couple things to my cruiser. Made a knob for my Metal Tech doors and scored a free bumper and added some LED's.

Bolt hole:

Counter sunk hole so the hex head fits flush with top of the knob:

Used a rubber mallet and got the bolt in nice and flush:

Nice washer:

Installed:

Cleaned up an old rusted bumper. It is a bit longer than I like and will get shortened up a bit later down the road. Its a good place to start though:

Its on...but I hate those trailer lights:

Got some LED lights..$50 for all of them:

Boom new LED tail lights on:

more to come, thanks for looking.

nice build. it looks to be coming along nicely, and much quicker than my own.

When I refer to my land cruiser I usually refer to them by their # designation, color and year... and use since I have too many of the same years,

my 40 (offroader) or the 40 DD, or the '78 55.. or the 60 (add apropriate year or color here) or my 70 (add usage here... ie plow truck, donor etc) it gets confusing when I say 70, cause I might be talking about my 1970 fj40 or maybe my 70 series plow truck... when I say FJ I am usually referring to my wifes FJ cruiser...

my point is... call it what ever the h*ll you want. it is most definately an FJ. I hope to see you aroung town... kudos for planning to daily drive it this winter... that sounds cold

Bill

nice build. it looks to be coming along nicely, and much quicker than my own.

When I refer to my land cruiser I usually refer to them by their # designation, color and year... and use since I have too many of the same years,

my 40 (offroader) or the 40 DD, or the '78 55.. or the 60 (add apropriate year or color here) or my 70 (add usage here... ie plow truck, donor etc) it gets confusing when I say 70, cause I might be talking about my 1970 fj40 or maybe my 70 series plow truck... when I say FJ I am usually referring to my wifes FJ cruiser...

my point is... call it what ever the h*ll you want. it is most definately an FJ. I hope to see you aroung town... kudos for planning to daily drive it this winter... that sounds cold

Bill

Defiantly would be great to meet you, wouldn't mind looking at your cruisers as well. I have yet to give it a name, my 4runner was JunkRunner. Some day I will figure a name and a vanity plate. I went through the wiring and what not for both of my heaters and they work very well. Considering an electric choke carb so I can run a remote start without leaving the choke out all night. I also need to get a line on a good frame to work on. The rear frame behind the axle has some cancer but gets worse as you get back towards the bumper and spring perch's to the point I do not want to put my lift on until it is fixed. Only 3 ways I can see fixing it. First would be to clean it up and weld in plate to fix the thin spots and strengthen the rear part of the frame. Second would be to lop off the back part of the frame and make my own frame replacements. Third would be to just get another frame in better condition and clean it up. I would prefer the third option because it leaves me with the FJ to drive daily as well as let me build up a rolling chassis.

Neighbor found an old winch plate when he was cleaning out his garage to move..it looked like a good start. It is bolted through the factory tow hook holes, as well as welded to the top bumper brace.

IMG_1542.jpg

TMR Light mount ( with bottle opener ) Smittybilt XRC 8

IMG_1543.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

and some PIAA lights I had. Going to wire it all up this weekend after I install this into the hardtop:

IMG_1541.jpg

Had a bit of time tonight. Switch plate I ordered came in so I decided to install my ARB switches. I also took the time to countersink the screws in it for ****s and giggles. All of this is in preparation of me knocking out all of my new wiring this weekend. On a side note I am picking up a welder from my neighbor..$300 for a Lincoln SA 200. Works perfectly, its what has been doing all of my welding so far..I just need a small trailer for it.

Today I changed the air filter and plugs, something I should have checked right after I got it from the PO but it was running good. I also started the insulation of the hardtop using dynamat. Also got my 1969 Lincoln SA200 dropped off...$300 bucks seemed like a fair price..and it works like a dream.

WTH is in my cylinder to make the plug look like this:

Hardtop is all cleaned up:

Started in the front middle, included the lip so it might seal better with the windsheild:

I would roll it out by peeling a bit of the backing off and smoothing the dynamat out as I went:

Easy part was done, it took 6 of the 9 sheets:

Now onto the cutting:

All done:

and this is how much was left over:

The kit came with 9 sheets that would cover 36 square feet. Was really easy. Once I had the top prepped the actual installation took maybe 45 min. I do plan on buying another kit and doing the sides of the hard top and the tub/firewall.

My welder, time to learn:

. I also need to get a line on a good frame to work on. The rear frame behind the axle has some cancer but gets worse as you get back towards the bumper and spring perch's to the point I do not want to put my lift on until it is fixed. Only 3 ways I can see fixing it. First would be to clean it up and weld in plate to fix the thin spots and strengthen the rear part of the frame. Second would be to lop off the back part of the frame and make my own frame replacements. Third would be to just get another frame in better condition and clean it up. I would prefer the third option because it leaves me with the FJ to drive daily as well as let me build up a rolling chassis.

regarding your frame...
I also had the rear of my frame rot plumb off. I cut it back about 16" and rebuilt it. I have some photos I will try and uplaod tomorrow or something. I can probably provide you some assistance in that or I might know where a couple frames might be kept. they would not be free, but I might be able to convince the guy to sell one. I assume you will need new shackle hangers for the rear as well? mine were rotted along with the frame.

Also, I dont do vanity plates, but I did name my 40 offroader I am building. It is the only vehicle I have ever named (except boats) and I have owned close to 50 vehicles thus far.
I named mine "beautiful flower". It is an inside joke that no one gets but me... but it cracks me up.

cheers
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom