Appachalan Toyota Round up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so how was the event? not a word on the overall impressions.

Yes it is. He didn't ask you Jason. I kid I kid.

Must have been pretty good. It's got as much buzz as GSMTR. Hate I had to miss it.
Our group was great and the weather was awesome. The bands sucked, Saturday nights meal was a cold pork sandwich with 2 small sides served in a paper bag and the raffle was brutal, 1.5 hours Friday night and Saturday night. We would have raffled that much off in 30 minutes.

Our group was great and the weather was awesome. The bands sucked, Saturday nights meal was a cold pork sandwich with 2 small sides served in a paper bag and the raffle was brutal, 1.5 hours Friday night and Saturday night. We would have raffled that much off in 30 minutes.

I know I had a little fun with this event but it was all in good faith, just a little razzing.

So, when I refer to the "event" I'm really asking about the management, food, raffle, crowd size, demographics, etc... To me, the wheeling kind handles itself as it's more or less park dependent assuming the correct park has been chosen for the expected/desired crowd.

Did I see your 40 back on the trails? Cool!! Looks like the conditions were perfect and you had a good group of similar rigs to wheel with, that makes things more fun. I'm curious to see how the event was run, it's an opportunity to compare, take ideas and modify accordingly.

So there were raffles on both Friday and Saturday? that's different. Food was lacking, band sucked, that's too bad. I'll give you guys props for always being on top of that kind of stuff at GSMTR.

As far as the buzz, I've not seen any aside from this thread. Given the general demographic I assume most of the pics, vids and talk took place mostly on Facebook or the Blue forum which i don't frequent often.

So, aside from the food issues was there anything to take away? Do you think you guys were successful in promoting GSMTR to the crowd or was that not really the goal?

Curious minds wanna know.

EDIT: Looks like SETO 12 was up there at the same time, did you guys see?
Southeast TTORA: SE-TTORA Southeast Takeover 12!

Last edited:
SE ttora is banned from the Windrock campground so there event was at an other site.
Lessons learned were primarily things not to ever do.
I think we promoted GSMTR to a few. A lot of the crowd are more into camping than wheeling, they like the G trails and some considered trail 22 extreme

Sounds like Jacob summed it nicely "tire shine and light bars"

My first impression with ATR was... "Not Impressed."

A. My true first impression was when I tried to sign in on Friday afternoon after getting camp setup. There were 2 times each day (about 2 hours each) that you could check in. If you weren't checked in you couldn't get into the event area. That could pose a couple of problems:
1. If you bought your Windrock pass through registration, you couldn't go "enjoy the trails" as the ones turning people away suggested. (Thankfully that wasn't the case for me.)
2. If you were camping in the group area, you couldn't setup camp. (Again, did not apply to me.)
My suggestion to fix the problem... Instead of paying people to tell event goers "no, you can't come in yet." Use those same people to check them in.
B. There was no option to register additional people. Dad's friend, Dennis, and his son came to spend time on the trails and camping with us. But, they weren't welcome in the event area. ATR rejected that much more money that could have been donated to the good folks at SFWDA. I also brought my daughter who was not registered. Thankfully they didn't make me leave her outside, but she couldn't partake in the cold food.
D. Because of the cold shoulder for our friends, we chose to do our own thing on the trails. So, I can't comment on the guided trail rides. All I can say is 22 is terrible except in a couple of places. And my nose is still full of dust.
E. The one man band on Friday was terrible. I didn't come to hear the bluegrass guys on Saturday except while I was picking up our cold pork/chicken sandwiches.
F. The food was subpar.
G. As a non FJC or 5th gen 4Runner with cool graphics owner, I didn't feel welcome.

Next year I will likely save my money and just come enjoy trail riding with family and friends. I don't need another $100 t-shirt.

On a good note, I did win a set of rear control arms to go on Kathy's GX. Like Andy said, Her truck will be built better than mine "by accident".
And despite the aggravation, we had a great time on the trails and enjoyed our time with family and friends.

Last edited:

A. My true first impression was when I tried to sign in on Friday afternoon after getting camp setup. There were 2 times each day (about 2 hours each) that you could check in. If you weren't checked in you couldn't get into the event area. That could pose a couple of problems:
1. If you bought your Windrock pass through registration, you couldn't go "enjoy the trails" as the ones turning people away suggested. (Thankfully that wasn't the case for me.)
2. If you were camping in the group area, you couldn't setup camp. (Again, did not apply to me.)
My suggestion to fix the problem... Instead of paying people to tell event goers "no, you can't come in yet." Use those same people to check them in.
B. There was no option to register additional people. Dad's friend, Dennis, and his son came to spend time on the trails and camping with us. But, they weren't welcome in the event area. ATR rejected that much more money that could have been donated to the good folks at SFWDA. I also brought my daughter who was not registered. Thankfully they didn't make me leave her outside, but she couldn't partake in the cold food.
D. Because of the cold shoulder for our friends, we chose to do our own thing on the trails. So, I can't comment on the guided trail rides. All I can say is 22 is terrible except in a couple of places. And my nose is still full of dust.
E. The one man band on Friday was terrible. I didn't come to hear the bluegrass guys on Saturday except while I was picking up our cold pork/chicken sandwiches.
F. The food was subpar.
G. As a non FJC or 5th gen 4Runner with cool graphics owner, I didn't feel welcome.

Next year I will likely save my money and just come enjoy trail riding with family and friends. I don't beed another $100 t-shirt.

On a good note, I did win a set of rear control arms to go on Kathy's GX. Like Andy said, Her truck will be built better than mine "by accident".
And despite the aggravation, we had a great time on the trails and enjoyed our time with family and friends.

Very good summary!

Well, I am glad you guys had a good time in spite. The "locked down" event area seems a little harsh. I mean that by itself is counter-intuitive to every other event that I have ever been to. I mean you want people to feel welcomed to the event, not want to leave.

I guess this is really a story of worlds colliding. I don't like to make such broad assumptions, but it seems that for the price of admission, one could just get a pass to Windrock, rock out all day and then go down to Oak Ridge and get some Big Ed's Pizza and call if good.

So from what I am reading, there was very little interaction between the ATR group as a whole and "outsiders". Is that accurate? Also, were they really policing the entrance to the event area that close, and either turning folks away, or asking people to leave? That to me is a problem. Hell we always have folks that just stumble in and like to chat and maybe stay for dinner. Have we made anything off of them, probably not, but at least they aren't going to be out telling people that they got snubbed at the gate and told they weren't allowed in.

Also, Roger, what is the story with TTORA? To not be allowed on property is quite a severe penalty for an entire group. They must have really been bad bad to get that kind of punishment.

F. The food was subpar.

Next year I will likely save my money and just come enjoy trail riding with family and friends. I don't beed another $100 t-shirt.

I've heard a few stories about the SETO banning.

excellent feed back. That's a shame but also confirmation that GSMTR has been run intelligently. While I definitely feel bad about missing an opportunity to wheel with you guys it does make me feel a little better about saving the $100.

Have a little bit of a hard time blaming the food on the organization but I wasn't there, perhaps just a poor choice of vendors? Either way appreciate the review(s).

To @jynx , excellent point on allowing folks wonder in. we've wheeled with a few straglers and had a great time with them.

The story on the SETO crowd differs from version to version but I've heard they were burning the picnic tables as firewood.

Last edited:
Im still trying to figure out which port a john I was supposed to use.

Im still trying to figure out which port a john I was supposed to use.

you're supposed to take a dump in the grass with the rest of the dogs. I figured Spot woulda taught you this by now. :flush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom