Anyone smoke bear meat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been probably 30 years since I've had smoked bear meat. Meat is very fatty and a bit stringy. Sort of like stringy roast beef , but the fat flavors the meat in a way that isn't entirely pleasant. Sort of an acquired taste. The suggestion of tacos isn't a bad one. Tomatoe and onion or garlic would improve your experience.

This is a young bear. Not very fatty. Marinated in red wine salt garlic red pepper. Smoked and wrapped in bacon. Then wrapped in foil and left to cook for a while longer. Have not tried it yet. Had an impromptu date. May make tacos out of it. Sounds good will post up results.
I did have area bites. Good flavor and texture

Any suggestions would be good have a lot of meat. My chick killed it she is the hunter around here.

came out nice and tender..... Will make taco's and take the rest and smother
20160925_051110.jpg
20160925_051227.jpg
it in BBQ sauce

I slowed cooked mine and it came out very tasty. I was told that the "flavor" of bear meat depends heavily on their diet. Lots of fish, no bueno but more of a herbivore diet and it has good flavor. Mine was really good and the :princess: loved it.

It was a perennial favorite at the Curry County Fair pit cooked like a pig. The takes me back. Like the best pork you ever ate.

They usually had young bears, the Sheriff would shoot bears that started raiding the trash cans at the parks around town. The smart ones learned and grew up.
We were a much less sensitive society in those days, none of this relocating crap. On the other hand we rarely had a bear problem in town. And we had a healthy bear population.

relocated bears do not do well... or just find their way back, that is what they teach today in wildlife management/damage control classes at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom