anyone seen this cruiser before? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
I've seen this cruiser before, but I can't remember where. Maybe here? Any thoughts/comments?

Here's the info

side.jpg

twist1.jpg

I heard back from the seller this morning about the rig. Here's what I know so far...

The motor is a 383 chevy. It is a 350 block with a 400 crank shaft. It was built by a shop in Portland about 3 years ago. It runs very well. Mileage is less then 2000. It was trailered it to all 4wheeling spots. It has been sitting for quite a while and it appears that the rear main seal has started to leak.

The clutch and transmission are both good. Tranny is an SM420 from a 68ish chev. It came from a junk yard and was not rebuilt. The only time it grinds is 3rd to 4th if you accelerating hard. Other than that it shifts fine and stays in gear.

Power steering box weeps a little around the adjuster nut.

You can get it into 2L also. The gate-plate on the transfercase shifter has been removed.

Seals are pretty much gone. I wouldn't call it drafty but it is definately not air tight. There are no dripping leaks but water does get through the cowl a comes down the inside of the firewall when it sits out in the rain.

One of the tail lights need attention. Passenger side winshield wiper does not work. The motor case cracked and the gear skips on the rack. I disconnect the relay cable to the drivers side and put a boat style wiper motor in. It only has one speed. The wiring for it needs to be cleaned up.

When asked about the onboard air, he said: It is an airconditioner pump. The air goes into the front bumper. The hose needs to be replaced because the rubber is getting rotten. There is a small pressure gauge and a pressure switch set at about 90psi to turn it off.

The seller has had the vehicle for 8 or 9 years. He did most of the work on it himself. What he didn't do was done by www.overthehill4x4.com in Portland. He am selling it because he has too many cars and doesn't go wheeling much anymore.

So, in the short term:
The rear main seal would need to be looked at, the windshield wipers would have to be repaired, and the taillight would have to be fixed. The power steering box would also have to be looked at. Tires would have to be replaced.

In the long term:
Weather stripping/seals would have to be replaced, aesthetics would need some TLC, I'd need to put in some kind of rear seat(s).

The vehicle is a pretty nice trail rig, but it needs some attention. $7200 seems a little high, especially when I'd have to pay ~$1000 to ship it across the country. I may offer $6500, see if he'll split the shipping or something.

Thoughts?

I am by no means a mechanic, but if the engine was rebuild less than 2000 miles ago and the rear seal is already leaking I would have to ask a lot more questions about it??????? ???

just my 2 cents.

Lockers?, Seems a bit high for what needs to be done.

Interesting point about the seal.

Yes, lockrites front and rear.  Chevy v8, SM420 with 3-speed case, SOA, power steering, disc brakes at all corners, on-board air, dual optima red tops, warn full floater rear axle, gear reduction starter.

I don't know anythign about those last 2.

It's got a lot of trail mods for the money.  But for the money, it also needs a lot of work.  Having no cruiser experience, I have no idea how much time/effort/money the repairs would need.

Have you gone and looked at it/drove it? I personally wouldnt get a cruizer you cant go take a look at yourself and drive a little, and get a good impression on what its like. I only say that cause you said you live across the country. Second, shipping can kill ya, as i found out as my brother shipped me my cruizer for col. to oregon, not even that far

No, I haven't. Cruisers in my neck of the woods are few and far between. Of the ones that do pop up, very few of those are in decent shape and/or trail ready. The closest state that regularly has cruisers for sale is virginia, and that's a minimum 6hr hour (one way) drive for me. I've gotten a few quote to have it shipped, any where from $750 to $1000.

I'm suprised that W hasn't fixed the rear seal, he trusts his work 100%. He did my Scout P/s for me and if i ever have any problems with it he would fix it.

Travis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom