Anyone know of cone washer upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is there a cone-nut replacement for the effing cone washers on the hubs? It seems like a logical upgrade. All that pounding and whatnaught can ruin an otherwise good hobby. Larry

It is what it is man. How would you propose to improve the cone washers anyway?

indeed believe there be posts on "hub stud replacement" but nothing implicitly dealing with the washers....

my only gripe is when you "bang" them off with a hammer - they can go flying all over the place...

bF

Leave the nut on the last few threads and you will avoid this.

indeed believe there be posts on "hub stud replacement" but nothing implicitly dealing with the washers....

my only gripe is when you "bang" them off with a hammer - they can go flying all over the place...

bF

Just did this today, leave nuts and washers backed ALMOST all the way off, bang with hammer. That way cone-washers don't shoot across garage and stay on the studs

Do NOT bang the side of the axle to get the cone out....

Use a brass drift and tink the end of the stud with a little hammer.

Otherwise if you hit the side it deforms the tapered hole the cone sits in and they wont seat properly any more, will come loose, studs will break etc.

Also make sure studs are tensioned correctly, as overtightening ruins them.

To me it would make sense to have castle nuts as well. Then you would never have to worry about them backing off.

The cone washers are softer than the stud and expand inside their hole after being pressed in by the nut and washer, which is why they have to be tapped out. a conical lug bolt would likely work ok. but if you overtighten lugs inside the flange it might crack or deform over time. that would be my guess. not really worth the risk imho. it would be more simplistic, but not necessarily an improvement or upgrade.

To me it would make sense to have castle nuts as well. Then you would never have to worry about them backing off.

They dont back off.

But they continue to stretch if they have been overtightened......

I was about to say consider @LandCruiserPhil method and post the video, but Phil already chimed in. Ridiculously simple and easy. Though I would have to go and purchase air compressor, hose, and HF tool.

I was about to say consider @LandCruiserPhil method and post the video, but Phil already chimed in. Ridiculously simple and easy. Though I would have to go and purchase air compressor, hose, and HF tool.

You could also use your on board PUMA air compressor and PUMA mount. If you dont have one you should.:grinpimp:

Always wondering if there was a cordless tool that would behave/accomplish the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom