Anyone know of an online L52 tranny rebuild manual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A friend has an 83 4x4 that has some whine coming out of the input bearing, so he wants to rebuild it. Unfortunately most manuals online start around 1985. Anyone know of a working link for the older L52?

And for those of you who want to say "weak tranny, get rid of it," the truck has 214,000 miles and gets 26-27 miles per gallon on the highway. No need for something that is not broken, other than a little tranny rebuild. :D

Easy there buddy, I own one of those "weak" trannies! While it has it's shortcomings, it's the best first-gen 5-speed. That's all I'm gonna say.

As to the manuals: that's an obscure transmission that was around for a little less than a production year, I can't even find paper documents on mine! Maybe Chilton's or Haynes may have a schematic, but it likely won't be online.
Good luck!

Marlin Crawler lists them as rebuilds for a bit less than $1000 plus core charge. I have no clue where to find a manual for them. I would bet you end up needing to buy a FSM for that truck.

i have a fsm that covers the l52.

what bit do you need?

i got mine done by marlin. for $1,400+core they bore out the housing and replace the guts with a g54 gearset and bigger bearings. lower first and taller fifth, but mostly beacuse an l52 apparently can't handle the torque of a 3L and turbo for more than 3,000 miles...
l521.jpg
l522.jpg
l523.jpg

Last edited:
i have a fsm that covers the l52.

what bit do you need?

Excellent! Chang-kuao-lo, could you scan the instructions for the tranny overhaul itself including torque specs? It would be greatly appreciated!

Also, did you buy the manual new or used? (And if I can ask, how much did you pay for it?)

Thanks!
Brian

Excellent! Chang-kuao-lo, could you scan the instructions for the tranny overhaul itself including torque specs? It would be greatly appreciated!

Also, did you buy the manual new or used? (And if I can ask, how much did you pay for it?)

Thanks!
Brian

pm sent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom