Anybody know AZ's engine swap emissions standards (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anybody know exactly what the arizona laws are for putting a diesel in a vehicle that was originally gas. I've been told that a Diesel engine in an older gas vehicle may make you emissions exempt but don't know if there is any truth behind that claim.

I have also checked the DMV website and couldn't find any info

Do a search on Clonestocker (Matt) here on mud. He did a V8 conversion in his FJ62 and he is in Tucson. There is a thread in the CSC section on the subject.

Get collector car insurance and you can bypass emissions. It seems Haggerty has the least restrictions: You can choose the amount of miles you drive, select amount you want to insure the vehicle for, etc.

It is as much or LESS than insurance through your normal carrier but with better $ loss coverage.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Get collector car insurance and you can bypass emissions. It seems Haggerty has the least restrictions: You can choose the amount of miles you drive, select amount you want to insure the vehicle for, etc.

It is as much or LESS than insurance through your normal carrier but with better $ loss coverage.

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Is this what you had your 60 thru? I currently have my 1970 FJ40 thru them but it mainly as collector and not a DD not for offraod use. I have very low mileage use but really don't even use that many miles. I also have coverage on a couple of my project. They also sounded like they would be willing to insure my FJ62 but figured with the ARB and winch it would be a no go. If you don't mind could PM details if you used them for the 60 and restrictions you had.

PS my car quest I PMed you about is over. She is now driving a Cadillac:bang:

When I did I 4bt in my Bronco I was told the motor cannot be older than the vehicle it is going into.

Info

When I did I 4bt in my Bronco I was told the motor cannot be older than the vehicle it is going into.

That's good to know. I would have never guessed that

I

Is this what you had your 60 thru? I currently have my 1970 FJ40 thru them but it mainly as collector and not a DD not for offraod use. I have very low mileage use but really don't even use that many miles. I also have coverage on a couple of my project. They also sounded like they would be willing to insure my FJ62 but figured with the ARB and winch it would be a no go. If you don't mind could PM details if you used them for the 60 and restrictions you had.

PS my car quest I PMed you about is over. She is now driving a Cadillac:bang:

I have hagerty on my 40 to skip emissions but I honestly feel like I am a little at risk every time I drive it. They have a lot of rules and I'm not very comfortable with them if I was in an accident. I think they allow up to 5,000 miles a year give or take.

I found that Haggarty had the least amount of limitations. Some companies were incredibly restrictive.
Anyone can drive my haggarty insured vehicle and be covered. I dont think I will go over 5 k a yr and was able to avoid emissions.
A guy I work with just had his pristine 1990 240 SX totalled due to a fender bender. He has been offered 15k by drifter enthusiasts but his regular insurance valued his car at $2500.00!
That opened my eyes towards claimed value. I dont want to be left holding the bag on a modified classic.

BTW: My friend bought the 240 back and will fix and keep it. In the end all is well except he now has a salvage title on it <ugh>

I have hagerty on my 40 to skip emissions but I honestly feel like I am a little at risk every time I drive it. They have a lot of rules and I'm not very comfortable with them if I was in an accident. I think they allow up to 5,000 miles a year give or take.
IIRC, the State requires the limited annual mileage to qualify for the plates, and with the plates, you cannot LEGALLY use the rig as a daily driver. I think the state also requires that ANY driving be for "special events" like club meets and car shows. Been a few years since I got the plates on my Piggy. John

Where my classics are I don't about the state and any limits they may have. I don't have to go thru emission. Hagarty requires they is another registered vehicle for every licensed driver in the house hold. My mileage limit was much less than 5K but until I retire and live up north for a good part of the it's not needed. The biggest reason for Hagarty was if the vehicle was totaled No insurance company is going try and stettle for a couple of grand. I already know what I will be getting. Curious Murf was the 60 limited to on road use? You don't have classic insurance on the 80 series do you?

J didnt have it on either. Did research at the time for potential older repl for the 60

Plates

IIRC, the State requires the limited annual mileage to qualify for the plates, and with the plates, you cannot LEGALLY use the rig as a daily driver. I think the state also requires that ANY driving be for "special events" like club meets and car shows. Been a few years since I got the plates on my Piggy. John

I don't believe the state requires classic plates anymore for classic car insurance. At least they didn't in my case

I don't believe the state requires classic plates anymore for classic car insurance. At least they didn't in my case
I think it is the other way around. If you want the plates, which eliminates the need for smog testing, then you must have the right insurance. John

I can tell you in my experience that passing emission with a swap was a seemless process. The supervisor at the station came out to ok it, and they all seemed to be very familar with the process.

I would agree about the classic insurance... no so much for skipping out on emission, but because of insured value. Keep in mind you have to have another vehicle for your DD to qualify which is a deal breaker for me at the current moment :(

Get the official word before you make the modifications. AFAIK the only restriction is that the car has to meet (or exceed) the emissions standards for the year of the vehicle. That doesn't necessarily mean the motor has to be newer, but I don't work for azdeq.

Probably the best way to get an official answer is to visit a Referee Station, not just your local neighborhood smog test facility. They are the final authority on Pass/Fail. John

Plates

I think it is the other way around. If you want the plates, which eliminates the need for smog testing, then you must have the right insurance. John

No, I was right. I thought you had to have classic plates in order to get classic insurance which is not required. I currently have classic insurance with standard plate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom