Anybody here try the Auto-rx stuff yet? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

wob

Threads
http://www.auto-rx.com/

Seems to be a hot topic at bobistheoilguy.com. Just curious whether anyone here has tried it. Cary?

No way. I am kind of old school, if it isn't put in the oil by the manufacture, it shouldn't be put in there. I know that a lot of the guys say its cleaning the engine, but a good synthetic will often have similar cleaning properties. Also, I cannot recall an automobile owners manual that doesn't specifically warn against adding additives to your oil. Also, all the major oil manufactures recommend against it.

Here is what I believe to be the bottom line. If you change your oil regularly and use a decent quality oil (synthetic or mineral), you will not have any sludge, lubrecation or other oil related problems. I would easily expect any Toyota product to go at least 250,000 miles with regular service.

So what is the benifit of Synthetic?!!! I believe that synthetic offers slightly better cold pumpability, better high tempurature protection, less potential deposits from less viscosity modifiers, and allows for approximately twice as long service intervals over mineral. If you are going to change your synthetic every 3000 miles, you are probably wasting your money (you shouldn't push the mineral oil past 4000 miles), if you are going to stretch it out to 6000-7500 miles, by the time you factor in the cost of the oil, filter, and time savings, synthetic is an equivilant price and likely a little better protection. I should note that for certain applications, such as high stress motors and especially turbocharged engines, I would use nothing except synthetic (turbo bearings get really hot).

Cary

Additives are great for old worn out Chevy 350 motors 90,000+ mi.They help reduce the startup cloud and stoplight cloud. If your motor isn't smoking, U don't need it.
With the 7000 mi syn oil change. Shouldn't you change the filter at 3500mi? What about greasing your joints? U will be missing a greasing if U only grease at oil change.
kurt

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=3885;start=0#msg28669 date=1059058935]
Additives are great for old worn out Chevy 350 motors 90,000+ mi.They help reduce the startup cloud and stoplight cloud. If your motor isn't smoking, U don't need it.
With the 7000 mi syn oil change. Shouldn't you change the filter at 3500mi? What about greasing your joints? U will be missing a greasing if U only grease at oil change.
kurt
[/quote]

You don't need to change the filter at 3500. There is very little chance that it would be filled even at 15,000 miles. Also, every 7500 should be plenty for lubing the U joints.

Cary

Of course I love my cruiser, now if I could just get is back from my wife.

I did the opposite. I took the 80 from the wife :D
kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom