Another Question Related to Paint Colors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to restore my 1979 FJ40 back to the factory original paint colors. I need help and would like to hear from folks that have actually painted their FJ40 top, headlight bezel and the hardtop to windshield frame attachment cap. Like many before me I’m struggling to determine the correct paint codes to use on these items. I have already spent hours looking at all of the websites with FJ40 paint colors and the many messages on this site about this topic.

I haven’t started work on the headlight bezel so I’m pretty sure I will be able to take it to a auto paint supplier and have them shoot the color for me but I don’t have that option for the top. My immediate and most pressing need is to find out what color and sheen was used on the fiberglass top and rain gutter.

After reading all of the messages I concluded that the consensus seemed to be that the top and bezel were painted Cygnus White (PPG 0833 or Toyota 012). So I ordered a couple of spray cans of Cygnus White from Cruiser Corp.

I don’t believe any part of my FJ40 has been repainted since it left the factory.

Below are some pictures to help illustrate my dilemma.

Here is a picture of the front edge of the top before it was removed for restoration. At the top of the picture you can see the rain gutter that is painted a bright “white” and matches the fiberglass top. Just below it you can see the hardtop to windshield frame attachment cap that appears to be painted to match the headlight bezel and just below the windshield washer nozzle (left black “knob”) you can get a peek at the Dune Beige body color. So it appears that three (3) different colors were used.

upload_2016-7-30_15-13-2.jpeg

Here is a picture in which you can see both the headlight bezel and the top. The top is clearly a brighter white.

upload_2016-7-30_15-14-51.jpeg

Finally, here are two pictures one showing a sample of the Cygnus White next to the headlight bezel and another showing the sample laying on the fiberglass top.

upload_2016-7-30_15-15-41.jpeg

upload_2016-7-30_15-16-19.jpeg

If anyone has been able to match the factory paint color and sheen on the fiberglass top, I’d appreciate it if you would share the paint info.

getting ready to paint the top on our 79'. Did you just run with the cygnus white? got pics?

I did paint the top cygnus white. I still don't have it on the FJ40 but here is a picture of the top after it was painted. I also painted
the wheels the same color.

That looks great, thanks. White wheels always look good too. We’re going with oem gray on the streelies

Is the paint you used to paint your hardtop the Cygnus white paint you purchased from cruiser Corp? I ordered a can of it to paint my bezel and it seems to be darker in shade than that of my 40 which is 031. Do you have photos of your dune beige with Cygnus white hardtop and bezel?

We just finally got the top back, Cygnus white. It looks great IMO, the paint brand is one the body shop uses and I can’t recall. I would characterize it as a pure white with a slight cream tint, not a bright white. I believe bright whites have blue in it. Based on pics above I would say very consistent. I wouldn’t get caught up in exact match OP, color codes and computers make for excellent recreation of OEM tints but really there is no such thing as exact because paint technology has evolved.

pics are low light from last night. My 80 is not Dune beige btw, but similar
36319AFA-FD95-4517-90BB-9A759AF82B99.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom