another newbie needing answers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I am about to install my gas tank on my 75 after 2 years of resto work. ( It hasn't run in about 8 months though, just pulling it in and out of garage)What should I do to prepare it for the start? Someone said to pull the plugs and hand crank the motor to loosen it up and circulate the oil so it wont start up dry. After starting it and running it how long should I wait to change the oil? One last thing, The tank has been cleaned and lined inside and out but what about fuel residue in the carb. Would it have varnished?. should I wait to see how it runs or just rebuild it now while its still down?

Yea I would just pull the coil wire so theres no spark and crank till oil pressure is up.Don't pump the gas till gas is at the carb cause if its dry you can tear the accelerator pump.Once the preesure is up put coil wire on try to start let run till warm change oil and filter.Then see if you have do any carb. work.Good Luck

Replace your fuel filter too. i don't car if the tank has been relined or if it looks relatively new. replace it now. Many people have had problems and it turned out to be bad fuel filter. I change/check mine with as much regularity as I do oil changes. Go buy a clear one from Walmart, helps with fuel line diagnostics later.

Squirt a little oil in the cylinders and turn it over by hand first.

Thanks guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom