Another New Guy Introduction Thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CaptClose

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone! I've been lurking for awhile but didn't feel comfortable joining the group until I actually had a Cruiser. Today, I am very excited to join the group!

I just picked up a very clean 1983 FJ60 from El Paso. The story was that this was an all original one owner vehicle before it was traded into the dealership back in 2005. There, it sat on the showroom floor more or less as a show car for 10-years. The owner of the dealership just didn't want to sell it. Anyway, that's the story they told me.

After looking at the car, this seems like a pretty obvious, albeit, pretty faithful restore to me. The headliner looks way to fresh for an 83. There's a few other giveaways too haha. The motor bay is very clean and all the hoses and wires appear new. I'm not complaining because it sure saves me a lot of work.

So anyway, we decided to drive it back home to San Antonio and hit Big Bend National Park along the way. She sure did perform well for being on a 10-year hiatus. I lost the AC belt along the way. It slipped off and when I pulled over to inspect it, the Belt appeared twisted, dry and cracked. I just cut it off and figured I could do without AC for the trip home. It was 70 degrees in Big Bend yesterday.

At the same time, I noticed that the alternator was starting to howl at me. This was a more serious problem. The bearing were about to seize up and we are literally in the middle of no mans land! I limped it on into the lodge and made some calls. Nobody around here carries an alternator for an 83 FJ60! They told me if I had a Ford or a Chevy... It'd be no problem! haha. Well I decided to stay the evening in one of the most beautiful places in the USA (That I've seen anyway) and regroup in the morning. That brings us to today...

I called up AutoZone in Fort Stockton and they said they could have the Alternator for me by tomorrow morning. I placed the order and we decided to make a "do or die" run for Ft. Stockton, about 2 hours North of Big Bend. The alternator lasted about 78 miles before it completely seized up. Luckily, we were at a service station performing a NASCAR style fuel stop and go... but there was no go. Serendipitously, the service station we were at has a fulltime shop mechanic who happens to be the cousin of the lady I ordered the part from at the AutoZone up the road an hour.

Well, here we are again, but this time we are in Marathon, TX... And it has been a marathon for sure.

One more thing... I was just searching around the forum on alternator replacements... Now I am having doubts that the alternator I ordered from Autozone will actually work. Can anyone advise?

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-s...nator/duralast-alternator/680199_49224_10654/

Mean Green: Home

Cable set:
FJ60/FJ62 Heavy Duty Battery Cable Sets

Installed mine with the heavy duty cable set and haven't looked back.

Also - welcome to the community. Cursing, swearing, throwing tools, and crying are all encouraged =)

Shane

Autozone PN. 14339 "looks" like it might work. The other one shown has the wrong pulley.

http://m.autozone.com/batteries-sta...yota/land-cruiser/1983/6-cylinders-f-4-2l-2bl

Welcome to the forum!

image.jpeg

Yeah as long as the pulley is for a v-belt you should be ok. Since it already slipped the belt for the AC I would invest in new belts all around. Crappy thing is that this is not an easy, on the road type of swap without splitting the fan shroud. It can be done but there will just be infinitely more curse words used. Since it looks like you may be having the mechanic at the station do it for you see if you can convince him to split the shroud (left to right, so you have a top and bottom piece).This will make things infinitely easier for you in the future.

Thanks guys. I'm sorry for the slow replies. I'm still on the road with my new cruiser trying to get an alternator so I can get back home! Anyway, I plan on using her as a weekend adventure cruiser... Camping, hiking trips, hunting trips, not too extreme 4x4 trips... We travel into Mexico a lot and I think this will be a perfect vehicle to use. I want to add a roof rack, and maybe some front and rear ARB bumpers. I'l move the spare to the top of roof rack or on the rear bumper. It looks so good now, that I hate to change anything. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics on here, but I'll give it a try... stay tuned.

Pics!

Maybe...

Code:
[URL=https://forum.ih8mud.com/media/new-fj60-in-big-bend.40623/][IMG]https://forum.ih8mud.com/data/xengallery/1009/1009896-58ceccfe2b11db0254169990377ad304.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I'll post some more pics soon. Thanks all!

Great looking 60!

Super clean engine bay!!! Love it!

If I could chose somewhere to be stuck it would be Big Bend Country (at a service station of course lol)

WELCOME TO MUD :flipoff2: <--- Official IH8MUD Welcome

Nice!
I lust after your rear wheel wells.
That sounded dirtier than I intended.
If you don't mind sharing; could you ballpark the sale price?

Thanks everyone! Posted more pics in the gallery. Go take a look.

Nice!
I lust after your rear wheel wells.
That sounded dirtier than I intended.
If you don't mind sharing; could you ballpark the sale price?

I don't mind sharing, as it always helps the rest of the members determine what the true value is of similar condition FJ60's.

I paid around $12.5k for her. I realize I could have found something much cheaper, but this 60 is mostly done. There isn't much left to do (if intend to keep her more or less stock). Also, it's a two owner vehicle that has lived its entire life in the desert. There is no rust anywhere. The upholstery is great, carpet and headliner are both fresh and even the rubber is only 6-months old.

I am interested to hear others (with more experience than me) tell me if I did alright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom