Another diy anchor question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

corleykj

Jack of some, definately master of none.
Threads
I am wanting to make my own anchor that packs into a small package. Would you trust something like this?

There was another thread about an anchor like a pull pal but the pictures for the large versions were missing. Anyone make a large one and have pictures to post?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks onlyonedr. It seems like most places I am trying to go fishing in early spring have some big-deep snow drifts in random spots, but would have dry ground within 50 feet I could anchor to. The places I am thinking of don't normally have trees close where I have seen these drifts. I like the idea of the fold-able yellow anchor, it seems like I could carry it without it taking up too much space. I would need to definitely make it beefy!

I don't like the looks of the second picture. Why weld on the clevis? It would be stronger just wrapped around the bar.

The yellow one looks interesting. For me, I'd go with something more like a plow blade. - IE a pull pall type design. Maybe a basic version could be built easily with home tools. Find a 8-12" piece of 3x3x 1/4" angle. Cut a "V" on one end. Weld on a braced bar at the correct angle. Weld or bolt on some type of loop to connect to your winch cable and you'd be in business. Should be able to hammer it in to the soil, and could fold up relatively small. Might even work in sand too.

I think I like your idea. Can you sketch a picture?

This is about as simple as I think it could be done. Basically a 12" piece of 3x3 angle and about 36" of 2" flat bar cut into 4 pieces with some hole drilled in them and some pins/bolts and you could weld up a pretty simple dirt anchor. Welding the two tabs into the blade part is critical to the strength. I would cut through the angle and weld them on the back side. Bigger angle would be better for softer terrain. I'd also make sure to put a chain on the back near the hammer end so when it goes into the ground you can get it back out. Hope this helps.
Instructions.jpg
Simple Anchor Folded.jpg

Last edited:
That is a killer design. I can make one of those in no time (well, pending how much I mess up my first one, it will take some time to have a usable one). I will give it a shot and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom