Another 80 Guy Picks up a 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just like I need another left foot, I needed another Land Cruiser. So I picked up a 2006 100 series.

Background
Almost 2 years ago, my wife and I found out we were having twins. After the panic subsided, I began to produce more logical trains of thought, such as, we must replace our daily drivers. Meanwhile, my wife obsessed over a kitchen table replacement. We were clearly paving the way for a model of familial efficiency. Or pure chaos. One of those two.

At the time, we had a 3-year-old daughter, and the plan was to have on more kiddo. (Ah, plans. I plan to get in shape.) From a vehicular standpoint, we were set. My daily driver was a 2008 Lexus GS350 AWD, and we'd just bought my wife a new Nissan Rogue. I researched a replacement for the Rogue first, because I hated it, and loved my GS. And I hated the Rogue. Did I say that twice? (Hated it.)

A combination of fatherhood and practicality gently shoved me into the world of minivans, which is quite amazing, I must say. I quickly narrowed my search down to the Sienna and Odyssey. After 2 months of research and searching, I picked up a certified 2011 Sienna XLE. Then I told myself a lie for 6 months: 3 baby seats can fit in a 3rd gen GS.

Reality is the Dr. Phil of existence, and it beat me over the head with a healthy dose of 'get real.' And so I did, but not without a showing of my middle finger. After all, if I'm going to get a vehicle that can haul our gaggle of children, it's going to be something great. After pretending to consider vehicles such as the GMC Acadia, Infiniti QX, and some others, I officially launched an exhaustive, 3-month 100 series search.

The Search
I first decided I wanted a 2003+ for the 5-speed auto and updated interior, but quickly gravitated to the increased power that came in 2006, as well as the exterior updates (I've always been a sucker for the '06/'07 LC grille). My first serious pursuit was with a 2006 Land Cruiser with 113k miles located in the Denver area. It was a one-owner trade-in in San Antonio, had no AHC, had the 90k service completed and the brake booster and ABS pump replaced due to the 'common' issue documented here on 'Mud. I learned my lesson on this one: quit dicking around and pony up. I sat on it too long and lost it over $500 (sale price was $23,5). Here's a thread I posted about it. I was discouraged, but some of you helped me keep my head up. For example, @RS6tofj80 was kind enough to look at a nice '06 near him in TX, but the seller was firm on an unrealistic price.

Over the next couple of weeks, the first thing I did every morning was check my list of sources (Cars.com, Autotrader.com, Craigslist, eBaymotors, etc.). One day, minutes prior to my checking, a 2006 LC with 56k miles was listed at a Lexus dealer in New Jersey for $24k. "What's the catch?" I thought. I called immediately, and they'd already received a deposit. NOOOOO! Attempting to calm me, the saleswoman told me they get used cars in all the time. "Not like that one!" I said. She asked for my number just in case. I scoffed to myself, and gave it to her, which is not like me.

A couple more weeks went by, and I'd set my sights on a Pacific Blue 2007 LC -- my favorite color. My biggest hesitations were that it had more miles than I wanted (120k), and it spent its entire life in Connecticut. The seller was great, though, and took several detailed pictures. The rust was minimal compared to others I'd seen in the area, and things seemed to check out. Between meetings one day at work, I began negotiating via email. After returning to my office, I had a 2 new voice mails: one from the seller of the Pacific Blue 100 (as it turns out, voice-to-voice negotiation is preferred by some. Who knew?), and another from a Lexus dealership received minutes prior.

Twist of Fate
Feeling somewhat uncertain about the Pacific Blue LC -- I felt I was settling, you see -- I listened to the message from the Lexus dealer. It was that lovely, beautiful (in my head, anyway), brilliant woman I spoke to about the low-mile '06 a few weeks back. As it turns out, the financing fell through, and I was the second person to have called. "Are you still interested?" she asked. You bet your Mafioso accent I am!

But, not so fast. I was prepared to be more impulsive than I was comfortable with, but still needed more info above the 40 or so pictures available in their ad and the 2-owner Carfax/Autocheck reports with one minor accident showing. However, I want to note that I felt a level of comfort in that it was being sold by a Lexus dealership. I've owned several Lexuseses and have had nothing but great dealership experiences. They always took care of me. I know others have had different experiences.

It was not a cream puff. I asked the woman to walk around it while on the phone with me and "pick it apart." The front bumper cover had some moderate damage on the passenger side, which was visible in the ad pictures. (Was this from the accident showing on the Carfax report?) There was a dent in the tailgate, and a very light scuff on one corner of the rear bumper. The undercarriage looked great for a NJ vehicle. Vowing never to pay full price for a car, I bid $500 off the already low asking price. They accepted, we arranged shipping, and I bit my nails until it arrived.

Here it is coming off the truck:
IMG_5177.JPG
IMG_5180.JPG
IMG_5181.JPG

Last edited:
Basic vehicle info:

Year: 2006
Miles: 56,000
Owners: 2
Major maintenance items: catalytic converters replaced, cv boots replaced and wheel bearings repacked by Lexus
Exterior color: Galactic Gray Mica
Interior color: Stone Gray
- AHC
- NAV
- Toyota DVD System
- Maintenance up-to-date

I got it back in my driveway and twitched with a mixture of anxiety and excitement as I poured over it, pushing buttons, checking fluids, etc., etc. For the most part, it was about what I expected.

Then I noticed that the damage on the front bumper cover extended to the portion of the fender that aligns with it, as the paint had chipped and flaked. Then I noticed that what I thought was dirt on the wheels in the pictures was actually stains. Bad stains. Then I noticed a dent/crease on the drivers door. Doom and gloom set in.
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5191.JPG
IMG_5195.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great to me. No regrets, you have an awesome LC with low miles. That little crap can be fixed easily.

Fortunately, my wife and friends are good at reminding me when my glass is half empty. So I poured a beer to the rim and continued my inspection. The interior was quite nice -- the leather is in great shape, save for some wear on the outside upper/lower bolsters, the carpet and mats are super clean, the door panels are mostly scuff-free, the headliner is perfect as is the dash and wood grain. The steering wheel is surprisingly worn for the miles, though.

I can't find the pics of the interior that I took the day I got it, so I've attached pics from the ad. There are some blemishes that don't show in them, but, for the most part, it's how it looks in person.

IMG_5067.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5084.JPG

Finally, I took it for a test drive. To me, one of the best things about the 100 is the way it drives. A large, body-on-frame SUV with a solid rear axle simply shouldn't drive this nice. It ran, rode, shifted, turned and stopped beautifully. Zero rattles. Everything worked. Yes! I parked it for the night and slept well.

The next morning, I went into the driveway to say 'hello' to it, and found this:
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5232.JPG

The front end was slammed on the ground. If you've never driven a 100 on the bump stops, don't. I was afraid I was going to shatter the windshield on some moderate pavement cracks. My first impressions of a great SUV that could damn-near impersonate a Lincoln Town Car were shattered and pooped on. Yes, less than 24-hours into my ownership, I had a major failure.

The first thing I did Monday morning was contact the dealership to tell them what had happened, as well worse-than-described front bumper damage. They empathized and said, "let's take this one step at a time. Take it to a shop to have it diagnosed." After researching 'Mud, I pretty much knew it was a failed sensor. In fact, sometimes the front end would lift up and ride fine; sometimes it wouldn't.

I took it to my local Lexus dealership, as I knew they had plenty of experience with LX470s. It was working fine when I took it there, and they couldn't find anything wrong -- even stating the sensors looked fine with zero corrosion.

I drive my 80 to work, and tinkered with the 100 at night, until one day while off of work it failed again. This time, I drove straight to the dealership, part of the way with the front end slammed, and the last half with it functioning properly. They gave me a ride home and called later to say that both front sensors were intermittently failing -- to the tune of $1,3xx.

I had them do the repair, as I needed to be able to drive it, and forwarded a copy of the bill to the seller. I'm pleased to report that they paid it in full. It's been 3 months and all is well. I really enjoy the ACH, in fact.

nice LC, that charcoal grey is my favorite color followed by black.

if you don't mind me asking - how much did it cost to ship the LC from Jersey to KCY, and how long did it take?

Knowing I'd be putting $ into this to bring it up to my standards, I began a parts/repair/to-do list:

Parts ordered:
- Heater hose Ts
- 2 cans of AHC fluid for a proper flush
- PCV valve
- Radiator cap
- Front mud flaps and necessary bracketry
- Various clips for other odds and ends
- New OEM front bumper cover
- Full set of Weathertech mats
- Front/rear diff and t-case fluids

Cosmetic Repairs:
- Damaged front bumper
- Damaged front fender (from front bumper)
- Half a dozen dents/dings
- Wheel stains

Maintenance:
- AHC fluid flush
- Replace heater hose Ts
- WS transmission fluid flush
- Drain/refill diffs and t-case

Congrats and welcome to the triple-digit side of 'Mud! Love the '06 (I'm biased). And, damn - you may have just scored the lowest mile 100 for sale in the country. Well done.

Here's a fairly poor picture of it next to my 80. This is before I did anything to it.
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 003.JPG

I'm surprised you couldn't find a cream puff locally in Mission Hills. Every time I come to KCY to visit some friends in MH I see LX470s and LCs all over the place.

I'm fortunate to have found an awesome PDR guy after a handful told me the tailgate could not be PDR-d. Even better, he did the entire car for $400 vs the $1,000 quote I received just to have the tailgate repaired by a traditional body shop. For an extra $200, he did the entire 80, too. I asked why he was being so generous, and he said he liked a challenge, and gets frustrated with other PDR guys who lie rather than taking on challenging work. I was super impressed with the results -- can't even tell where most of the dents were. I'm a sucker for original paint.

Before:
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 020.JPG
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 021.JPG
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 019.JPG

After:

11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 074.JPG
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 075.JPG

Then I turned to the visual clutter caused by the combination of pinstripes, door/fender edge guards, running boards and the hood wind deflector. I tackled the pinstripes and door/fender edge guards first.

Before:

11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 027.JPG
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 030.JPG

After:
11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 068.JPG

Here's a shot of the wheel stains I mentioned. I spoke to a wheel refinisher who said it's likely caused by the excessively-strong cleaner sometimes used at dealerships. He suspects they sprayed it on and let it dry. The wheel is perfectly clean in this picture. You could eat off of it. $400 to refinish all 4 in the OEM hypersilver color.

11.27.2015 iPhone Dump 048.JPG

Then I restored the headlight lenses, although they weren't bad.

Before:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655605.882164.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655620.940115.jpg

After:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655647.666370.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655675.700955.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655689.889770.jpg

And more decluttering by removing the hood wind deflector and running boards.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655855.542391.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1448655871.865820.jpg

Ahhhh, that's better. The 100's lines need no help.

Looks great to me. No regrets, you have an awesome LC with low miles. That little crap can be fixed easily.
Thanks! And, you, sir, are spot on -- most of these things are minor, and I've had fun along the way.

nice LC, that charcoal grey is my favorite color followed by black.

if you don't mind me asking - how much did it cost to ship the LC from Jersey to KCY, and how long did it take?

Thanks!

Not at all. It cost $950, and took one week.

Congrats and welcome to the triple-digit side of 'Mud! Love the '06 (I'm biased). And, damn - you may have just scored the lowest mile 100 for sale in the country. Well done.

Thanks. It was the lowest for sale at the time. Like I said, though, not a cream puff.

I'm surprised you couldn't find a cream puff locally in Mission Hills. Every time I come to KCY to visit some friends in MH I see LX470s and LCs all over the place.

I wound up wanting an LC, as opposed to an LX. At any given time, there were about 1.5 times as many LXs for sale, making it even harder to find an LC. Throughout my entire search, there were roughly 15 2006/2007 LCs for sale in the US, and the closest example was in St. Louis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom