Another 77 FJ40 resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Time to start my story....

Early this last June (2012) I bought a 77 FJ40 out n Cali sight unseen for the asking price, guy didn't want to budge and it had a Warn 8274 on it god dammit!

Well I have built a couple a muscle cars about 20 years ago and thought this should be a decent job to tackle. I didn't have any ideas on the mechanics of this Toyota so I sent it off to Georg (Orange45) at Valley Hybrids and he performed his magic on it. Georg feel free to jump in an let these fine folks know what you did to her (rover).

Wife calls her rover because she looks like the moon rover currently (rolling frame and engine). Well here is a picture of how I got it, and what the rolling chassis looks like currently.
057.jpg
058.jpg
056.jpg

Looks like she will be a beauty. Was she lifted at all? I have an 80, same color, all original except for the warn 8274 and unfortunately cut rear whell wells with flairs. I want your big garage...

She has an OME 2.5 inch lift with 33" BFG Mud-Terrains.

I do love my garage, need to insulate and throw up some dry wall soon. Has a man cave above it.

The rover is looking pretty shiny. Are you leaving the original paint? That's a great color. I did the same. OME 2.5 with KM2s on stock steelies.

Looking good.

Stick with Mustard - it's like Corvette yellow without the Chevy affiliation. Dune beige would be a good 2nd choice, as it's an OEM color and subtle, but sticking with the original OEM color is good for long-term value.

Stick with Mustard - it's like Corvette yellow without the Chevy affiliation. Dune beige would be a good 2nd choice, as it's an OEM color and subtle, but sticking with the original OEM color is good for long-term value.

Yeah I agree with you, but I do love Dune Beige.... I will try and get some photos of the tub stripped down this evening.

nice 77!

the body looks like it was in good shape, with just "love" marks on it and cut fenders but it appears to be pretty solid from the pic

I would leave it mustard, wish I had kept my mustard 82 sometimes, love the color and looked great with my JD Green 82

original color will always be worth more than even a OEM paint change...the Data plate will not match......if it matters to you.

Landpimp, the fenders are uncut, just had some ugly rubber moulding on them. I was worried about rust between the rear wheel wells and the quarters though. The "dimples were getting a little too deep.

I have ordered a new rear sill and quarters from CCOT to replace the metal on the tub. Should be getting shipped any day now. Also got a set of OEM fenders and running boards for it also, they shipped this morning.

Still need a trans hump and the the hump on the driver's side firewall that meets the trans hump. Mine is rusted badly and should be replaced.

I see Real Steel has this panel but I really only need a piece of the floor pan cut from a part out rig, so if anyone has these items drop me a PM. Thanks!

Here are a couple more of the tub.... I got my rear sill, rockers and OEM fenders and running boards in the mail yesterday. Just waiting on my quarters. Top of the wheel wells need some serious work where the roll bar and seats were bolted to. This weekend plan on getting the rest of the chassis finished if possible.
FJ40 001.jpg
FJ40 002.jpg
FJ40 003.jpg

Nice work so far!! What method are you using to strip it to bare metal? That is one solid tub you are working with. A BIG plus on the "getting it back on the road again" side.

That rear sill looks ok to me from the one pic?? Then again, a pic only tells half (at least) the story.

Keep the pics coming!!:cheers:

Thanks, the body guy (Chris) used chemical stripper to get the paint off. The rear sill was rough, the cover was really the only thing bad but I decided to replace the whole thing.

I'm trying to get this complete body better than new, that is why I'm replacing the quarters just to get at whatever rust is between the wheel wells and quarters. I was going to try and replace a strip of metal there like others have done (bumps on my 78) but figured I might as well just replace the whole quarters.

Here is a pic of the back before I started the tear down, don't mind the passenger ambi door, already got a real clean replacement from Georg. Also a pic of my helper and inspiration.
055.jpg
019.JPG

got my new motor mounts the other day, anyone know of a good way to change them out with my rolling chassis? Can just jack the motor slightly to remove and replace them one at a time?

SSCR,
Please save your original rear fenders after you replace them. Someone could use the lower sections to repair theirs. There are plenty of 40s suffering from bad fender flare cut-outs or new owners that want to return cut fenders to factory.
I'll vote mustard as well. Looking good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom