An ethical dilemma? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Jim

The Cruiser Whisperer
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tlcperformance.com
There is a 78 FJ40 here in my shop getting extensive rework. The current owner bought it from a self-proclaimed 'Cruiser expert' as a restored truck for a price well into 5 figures. A letter that accompanied the truck stated it had rebuilt engine/trans/t-case, new tires, paint, no rust, etc. As the truck is being repaired, it has become obvious that almost all statements made by the PO regarding the FJ40 are incorrect.

In the last couple weeks that same PO has surfaced in the 'Mud classifieds selling various FJ40's and parts.

What to do?
Post something in his 4 sale thread questioning his veracity?
Start a thread about this truck and how the CO got hosed by the PO's claims?
What to do....?

The one thing I will not do is let this go unpublicized. Sure, part of me is still a boy scout and doesn't want to let the mugger get away.

But another part of me seeks redress for when the CO sent a nice note to the PO asking for an explanation of some of the irregularities, the PO did not offer any kind of assistance/warranty/refund, nor did he deny it. Rather, he said that he never heard of FJ40Jim and therefore FJ40Jim is a liar just looking for more work.

That last part is the worst lie of all.

Last edited:
It's not an ethical dilemma.
Please start a thread about claims and reality.
Cheers
J

Best to put it in chat. It'll get moved there anyway.

part of me is still a boy scout
if the PO isnt trustworthy I think other loyal members of this helpful, friendly forum deserve a courteous heads up. It would be kind of the PO to be obedient to his claims, and to cheerfully fix anything that may have been misrepresented. It may be up to you to find thrifty ways to fix the problems. The CO will need to be brave during the restoration, taking comfort in knowing a clean 40 awaits him. We must all be reverent before the cruiser gods.

Post up a google earth image of his house:flipoff2:

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

custyota said:
post up the shotty work.... i love shotty work im good at it!

Well, some of the work on your 40 was done by the club while consuming libations;)

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

so who is the D-bag PO, thats all we need to know

Does the current owner have an opinion/preference as to what you should do?

Zack

PS: This statement is way beyond false "FJ40Jim is a liar and a thief just looking for more work." Jim worked on my FJ60 and I was and still am very happy with the high quality work that he performed on my truck. In fact Jim was the only mechanic that was able to fix my sticking gas pedal issue. In my opinion Jim is hands down the best there is in the Cruiser world! Thank you for all that you do in the Cruiser community.

I'd call him out.
The comments of the current owner of the 40 would have greater weight though, since it does belong to him.
In this case I'd consider you to be an expert in this subject matter, so you can express a valid 3rd party opinion.
I think that everyone should be held accountable for their actions and how they represent their products, new or used.

The seller/restorer/appraiser is Brett Young of "Auto Appraisals & Pre-Buy Inspections", according to a business card. Can't find any info regarding his professional Cruiser restoration business. Also, no record of a car dealer license for Brett Young or his business partner, Lacey Young.

old ebay ID: chevynut1969
Mud & ebay user: fj40man79
alternate Mud ID: FJ40Nut1976
Newest 'Mud ID: fj83landcruiser
newest eBay id: fj40man83
newest eBay ID: fj40man1983
newest newest Ebay ID: fj40appraisals
newest newerest ebay ID: fj40partsource
yet another ebay user ID: classicappraisals
Pirate: unknown
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/ userID: jetboatracer25
Youtube ID: Toyota Man

He only shows up on 'mud to sell junk or defend against allegations.

I'll get some initial FJ40 pics up very soon and a link outta this thread.

Last edited:
well, that didn't take a lot of convincin'... :)

Suscribed

And whats with all the olde north state cruiser drunks posting on this haha.

Here's the thread detailing some of the unusual findings on this re-restore:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/618090-how-not-restore-fj40.html

If there is any further info about this shop, please post it.

From a current auction listing:
"I own a FJ40 restoration shop, I built this vehicle to be a daily driver with off-road capability. This FJ can drive 65-70mph on the highway to your hunting or off-road destination, perform great in the hills, then drive home. I’ve owned over 700 FJ’s and built quite a few like this for customers, I’ve figured out what works and what does not. "

Who knew?

Wait, it gets better!
"I believe most people are much better off buying a FJ40 from a specialty shop than some back yard mechanic you find on Craigslist. I’ve bought FJ’s from all over the world ranging from $100-$50,000, all have needed quite a bit of work, this one has all the bugs worked out and is ready to enjoy now.
..any potential FJ buyer is much better off spending more money up-front to buy a professionally built vehicle vs. a lower end unit just to take to a build shop and pay $100 an hour to repair or finish it, you are dollars ahead to buy completed. I hear the sad story often regarding someone buying a “restored” FJ on Craigslist or eBay from a back yard mechanic that needs thousands in repairs not disclosed when they have me check it out in my shop, after they bought it. I fix all those problems before I sell, as indicated in my years of flawless eBay feedback, letters of recommendation, magazine articles etc. Unless, you strictly want a project to build yourself, buy it done. I have projects for sale, if you want turn-key, this is it. "

Holy carp, that's quite a load of... bull:cookie:

Last edited:
So, uh, Jim...wanna move to Utah any time soon?

I can definitely make room for you at my new business.

;)

:cheers:
Yes, I would consider that. But as you can see, my plate is rather full at the moment.

BTW, for this project, I am in desperate need of either:
three .75mm O/S pistons,
or
six 1mm O/S pistons.
To fit 75-80 2F.

Aftermarket is completely dried up (which prolly means the toyota factory has stopped producing).:bang:

LMK if Toyota can still supply. Or maybe I'll call tomorrow.:beer:

Anybody on here live near Benton City, or Richland, in WA state?
Is this guy now trolling for suckers on IH8Mud? Won't be too successful at that !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom