1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aluminum Radiator vs. Stock Radiator

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by SuperDuperCruizer, Aug 20, 2003.

1. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    Are the Aluminum radiators better than stock? Just wanted your thoughts on the issue. Thanks, SuperDuperCruiser

2. Texican

Texican s-Moderator

Media:
    If you have a V8 yes they are the ticket, I have a Be Cool in mine love it temps at BHCC in 102 degree weather stayed around the 195 thermostat I have in it.
    Butch

3. toddslater

toddslater SILVER Star

Aluminum will dissapate heat better/faster than conventional. But unless your running something very robust, it may not be worth the effort/expense. Simply resizing, going to a cross flow, and/or adding a baffle, going to a 4 core should be plenty good enough for any motor you can fit into a cruizer.

4. joefj

joefj

I have a sbc in my 40 and could not cool it w/ a 4 core fj radiator. Bought a Jegs 19x26" aluminum unit, no more problems, actually runs too cool and need to change my thermostat and only $200.
    Summer temps here in Maryland get in the 90 degree range and the 4 core would climb to 220, the aluminum has never hit 190.

5. joefj

joefj

I have a sbc in my 40 and could not cool it w/ a 4 core fj radiator. Bought a Jegs 19x26" aluminum unit, no more problems, actually runs too cool and need to change my thermostat and only $200.
    Summer temps here in Maryland get in the 90 degree range and the 4 core would climb to 220, the aluminum has never hit 190.

6. my64fj40

my64fj40

If your running a say 400 SBC yes it's better.

I went with a Griffin 19x31 generic aluminum radiator from Summit for a very reasonable price.

7. iokepa

iokepa

19x31? How did you fit that in there? Can I see some pics? I am trying to get some ideas on fitting somthing bigger than the stock rad in my 69. It has a 383 and runs too hot (about 220 when it's 100 outside) with the stock rad tanks + 4 row core.

8. MTDewX8

MTDewX8

so the folks that have a 350, what do you use for a temp gauge? stock, or is it a good idea to get another one to make sure what the temps are.
    I am still learning what I have. and the PO said he has no problems with heat, but my question is how do you know if your only using the stock gauge.

assuming the kits are not to bad to install

9. xjnation

xjnation

I got one of the aluminum 40 radiators from Ebay for around $200 shipped. It was a bit thicker than stock and took a bit of clearancing in the radiator support, but the truck doesn't get over 185* with a 4.3 vortec. It ran about 200*ish with the stock radiator.