1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternator Problems

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by isozelmonic, Aug 26, 2003.

1. isozelmonic

isozelmonic

Hello everybody,

Can anybody help me figure out why my alternator keeps going out. I'm on my third one in the last month. At first the alternators stop recharging my battery and for a few days I can j ust jump and it will start right up. After time jumping it will start to get hard and eventually it wont start at all. I thouhgt it might be the battery so I had it replaced but it still won't start. I figured with a bad alternator I would at least be able to get it started and it just run off the battery power until its dead, but now I can get it start up. Note that I recently had water get in m last alterantor, but that doesn't explain the first ones. Also note that this last alternator lasted the longest and seemed to be doing pretty good until the water did get in it.

Thank you

2. hammerhead

hammerhead

3. isozelmonic

isozelmonic

Ya its a stokc alternator

4. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Are you getting the altenators tested to confirm, if not run it by the parts store. Also check wiring thoroughly and the voltage regulator.

5. swank60

swank60

also, if you have them, check the fusable links. that can make weird things happen as well.

6. 78 One owner

78 One owner

I toasted 3 alt's in 2 weeks by having an intermittent short in the regulator wire. :mad:
    Replaced a couple of wires and my alt's happy.

7. toddslater

toddslater SILVER Star

Also...be very very leery of reman alternators purchased at Peep Boys, AA, and other of the ilk. My 84 mini truck alt went @125k (some years ago) ...replaced with a Peep boys....fried every god damn electrical component ...yes even blew the filaments off of the stop/tail lamp bulbs...actually welded the filaments to the glass....damnest thing I have ever experienced. Ever since I bite the bullet for the Dealer ( i know) toyota reman units. No problems with the 84 mini, none with the FJ62. Also, depending on your year check and/or replace the voltage regulator as well.