Alignment Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently had an OME suspension kit installed on my '03. The installer told me that they could not get the alignment perfect due to the fact that my tires were just a little too small for the lift. It sounds like total bullcorn but is there some validity to that?

What size kit do you have? Any out of alignment spec has nothing to do with tires. More than likely it's improper geometry from you upper control arm being too short. Many solve this solution by going with aftermarket upper control arms.

Its the medium duty. i believe its a 2" lift. What aftermarket control arm would you suggest?

Can anyone suggest an aftermarket upper control arm that would fix my alignment issue?

Can anyone suggest an aftermarket upper control arm that would fix my alignment issue?

What component of the alignment is out, and how close is it to "perfect?"
The spec is a range, not a single number, so it doesn't have to be perfect, just within the specified range.
If the camber can't be brought into spec, then aftermarket UCAs will help (Nitro, Slee SPC, Total Chaos).
If it's the caster, then aftermarket UCAs may not get you there.

I do not know what component is out. The installer said that it was a little off due to my tires being small. I am about to upgrade to the BFG 275/70/R18's and was hoping that would fix the issue. One reply said that it could be my upper control arm.

If the camber can't be brought into spec, then aftermarket UCAs will help (Nitro, Slee SPC, Total Chaos).
If it's the caster, then aftermarket UCAs may not get you there.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I know the SPC UCAs have fallen out of favor on here due to ball joint durability concerns, but If you can correct anything with those, it is caster.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/common_files/spc_25455.pdf

It is my understanding that the Nitro and Total Chaos UCAs dialed in a fixed amount of extra caster.

Understood. My point is that caster is more affected by the front to back rake than the toe and camber are.
Regardless, it sound's like the shop is giving some funny messages in regard to tires affecting the alignment--which makes no sense. I think it's safe to say that most folks here are running within spec, lifted, on factory arms.

I don't know if I'd agree with that. I know the SPC UCAs have fallen out of favor on here due to ball joint durability concerns, but If you can correct anything with those, it is caster.

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/common_files/spc_25455.pdf

It is my understanding that the Nitro and Total Chaos UCAs dialed in a fixed amount of extra caster.

I do not know what component is out. The installer said that it was a little off due to my tires being small. I am about to upgrade to the BFG 275/70/R18's and was hoping that would fix the issue. One reply said that it could be my upper control arm.
$ure your alignment i$ out becau$e your tire$ are too $mall. You mu$t buy more part$ from the in$taller to fix the mea$urement that i$ out of $pec, even though we can't tell you which one it i$...

$ure your alignment i$ out becau$e your tire$ are too $mall. You mu$t buy more part$ from the in$taller to fix the mea$urement that i$ out of $pec, even though we can't tell you which one it i$...
Wait, was this your cruiser? In all seriousness, you've either misunderstood what your installer was saying, or he's bull$hiting you. Either way, you stand to lose about a thousand bucks or more. Probably worth your time to spend 45 minutes learning about alignments. Unless you make > $1,600/hr, in which case, carry on...
Cruiser.jpg.png

Last edited:
I am due for new tires anyways. I am upgrading to the BFG AT KO2 275/70 and I am going to have the alignment done. If there are still issues, i will do more homework.

Wait, was this your cruiser? In all seriousness, you've either misunderstood what your installer was saying, or he's bull$hiting you. Either way, you stand to lose about a thousand bucks or more. Probably worth your time to spend 45 minutes learning about alignments. Unless you make > $1,600/hr, in which case, carry on...View attachment 1267263

I really want that truck for my little boy.

I am due for new tires anyways. I am upgrading to the BFG AT KO2 275/70 and I am going to have the alignment done. If there are still issues, i will do more homework.
Good plan!

update: alignment is good. front hub bearings need to be repacked. 275/70 ko2's look dang good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom