Alarm Security Disable?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do I disable the alarm/security system on my 93 FZJ80? I have no idea how its supposed to work but its pretty annoying that it arms itself and decides to start honking the horn whenever it feels like it, etc... I would like to keep the remote lock function but its not a deal breaker. I tried just pulling the computer under the driver's seat but apparently that kills everything and the truck won't start without it. Any easy way to remove it or bypass it?

Same dilemma. This thing's got it out for me, swear it doesn't function the same way twice. Who wants the remote lock/unlock to use the horn anyway?? It's so effing loud.

Anyway, if anyone has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated.

Well, a temporary "band-aid" fix might be to just remove the fuse for the alarm until you can figure out what manufacturer's alarm is installed and then download their manual, and it should tell how to disable certain "features". I just got an 80 and am trying to figure this out as well-- if I open the car door and wait too long before starting the engine (like only 20 sec), the alarm goes off -- who's thought that was a good idea? lol.

I havent had this issue in the 80 yet... But i did have a somewhat similar issue with my 4runner...

Stock fujitsu(?) keyless alarm... I disabled it by getting my truck stuck in a small pond with water up to my windshield overnight.. Pulled truck out, pulled plugs, cranked a few times to eject all the water from my cylinders, fired her up, drover her home, and wouldnt start next day... Pulled the "black box" from inder the drivers seat, amd water literally poured out of it, so i shook it out as best I could, then left it above my woodstove for 3 days.... Truck runs fine now, but no keyless anymore

:D

^^^... I doubt you'll find that procedure in the FSM :^).

Most of the alarm connections based on my experience only taps onto a system that is already existing. An example would be the parking lights flashing, the alarm computer just sends signals to make the lights flash or honk the horn.

What is your experience wiring wise? I easiest way I could think of is following the connections from the computer itself. Once unplugged most of the car will still function except in your case the "no start". Typically alarms bypass the starter wire, and if you trace where this cut is, which is usually near the wiring along the key cylinder just connect those wires back together. They are usually the thickest wire on the alarm computer.

If you have pictures of the connections on the alarm computer, I maybe able to help further.
Also, is the alarm stock? The brand would help too.

The sensitivity on the box could be adjusted incorrectly. I would obtain another remote if you have lost yours and just use the system. Some of the 93-94s? had a system that was different than all the later years. Here is a link to the owners manual for the system you may/probably have. Manual shows the proper adjustment for it. BABEUC-1163 is the number for the remote for this system, the TDSE. The TVSS was the later version, 94+, and uses a 2-button remote. If you have the Horn Defeat/Valet Mode switch on your dash, you have the older TDSE system. These things will arm themselves without the remote if you lock the door then shut it. I found a remote for one on ebay just a couple weeks ago for a 93 Im working on for a relative; had to clear the alarm ecu under the seat then pair the new remote to it. I don't know of any easy way to disable the system and keep the power locking.

Last edited:
Are there replacement TDSE's out there or is the junkyard the only place to get them? This is the system in my rig and it goes off if I'm rocking the rig (working on it), if I open or close a door, if I unlock it or if there is a loud noise. And sometimes for seemingly no reason at all. The PO removed its ability to sound the horn but I am getting tired of it skeezing out.

I have played with the sensitivity dial but it doesn't do anything. I think its just old and dying.

Interestingly I uncovered this TSB.
http://www.toyotaparts.metro-toyota.com/WIRELESS_TRANSMITTER_&_PROGRAMMING_GUIDE_[OBSOLETE]_T-EL010-01.pdf

which states the following;
  • 90-94 LC's had TVSS with a one button controller
  • 95 LC's had TVSS with a two button controller
  • 96-97 LC's had RS3000
I had just assumed that my trail snail had the TDSE controller as people on here had said that early 80's came with them. But all the information I am finding is showing that the LC's did not come with the TSDE.

My 93' is an early pre May 93' model as it came with R12 refrigerant. Anyway after seeing this TSB I thought I would check the box and sure as s*** my early 93' 80 has the TVSS system with a horn defeat switch!

It looks like its been there for a long time so I don't think someone shoved it in there, are the connectors different between the TVSS and TDSE?

90-94 LC's had TVSS with a one button controller
  • 95 LC's had TVSS with a two button controller
  • 96-97 LC's had RS3000
My 93' is an early pre May 93' model as it came with R12 refrigerant. Anyway after seeing this TSB I thought I would check the box and sure as s*** my early 93' 80 has the TVSS system with a horn defeat switch!

....... are the connectors different between the TVSS and TDSE?
Maybe they never put the TDSE on the LCs, this one is an 11/92, Ill check it again

I recently pulled my alarm system on my 93, long story short it was a being a problem child. I washed my fob and any time i opened the door i had 10 seconds to get the key in the ignition before it started alarming. If you plan on removing it, its a pretty straight forward deal, took me about 30 minutes. You just end up pulling the carpet up and following to the harness in the kick panel. Like someone mentioned before its all plugged into existing the harness so its as easy as unplug and match up with the right connectors.

Post # 5 has some pics that I used as a reference especially the one with the driver area helped make sure i got everything out, pretty hard to miss though, good luck in whatever path you choose.

found a hacked wire. help me ID it?

I hate the TVSS in my 93. I put up with it for the keyless entry but then my mom lost my only remote.

It automatically arms itself regardless of you locking the doors and my dog jumping around in it sets the motion sensor off constantly.

I tried to remove it once and got as far as the kick panel harness but it also has cabling that goes up to the key cylinder/ steering colum. I have to drop the lower dash to get to that and that's a pita so I put it all back together and am still living with its schizophrenic behavior ....

The GOOD news is that it's a totally plug and play factory option, so if you get to all the connections, you literally unplug it and plug the vehicle harness back together and you're done. It's basically a jumper harness.

I'm starting to work on my cruiser again after many years hiatus so I think this'll be a summer project this year

the tvss is pretty easy to remove.. you can then put a blinky led in place of the stock alarm indicator... with a switch. that way you still have the security light and none of the headache that comes with 20 year old security technology.

No matter how much you polish a turd, you still have a piece of........

Pull the alarm and have a Viper installed ($150-200).
The new technology is really that much better.
You will not be disappointed.

The gas savings this yr have cost covered, if you think it's too much $$$$.

Rig has been getting garage treatment. So I haven't considered putting an alarm back on it. But I'm moving to a house that doesn't have a garage that'll fit this rig.

So you've sparked some interest. With all the expensive goodies I've been sprinkling on my rig it would be wise to protect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom