1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ag tractor tires

Discussion in '70-Series Tech' started by lshobie, Apr 22, 2008.

1. lshobie

lshobie GOLD Star

Hi Guys,

I am looking to run a set of tractor tires on my HZJ79, I'd like something 36-38 inches with a heavy ply rating. Anyone have any suggestions?? I use a 16 inch rim - widest I can get a 6.5 inches so it limits me - unless I cut and splice a band in. There is no other rim size that I can buy for it - unless I buy it in australia or switch to an 18 inch rim for the new tundra 5 bolt pattern - then tires are about 4-500 each.

Suggestions?

Louis
  2. nickwood48

nickwood48 Regular Member

How about some Non-dir military tires. Check out the 9.00-16, they are close to your specs at 35.5" tall and looks like a 6.5" rim should work.

Non-Directional Military Tires - Specialty Tires of America

I
  3. lynchmob

lynchmob New Member

crushers has a set on his "tractor" 70 series. I dont recall if they are on skinny rims though.
  4. matt 105

matt 105 New Member

Tyres for rice crops are popular in mud racing here. They are availible for 16" split rims and measure 33"-35"(an 85 - 100 or more profile). Rice tyres are usually narrow with a 23' tractor type tread, with a wider than standard void between narrower lugs.
    Hope this helps.

Matt
  5. lshobie

lshobie GOLD Star

The michelin XZL's look good - they are military tires, 9.00-16LT's, 36 inches.
  6. matt 105

matt 105 New Member

Not sure what you intend to do with them, but for an off-road only toy, they take a grooving iron well. This helps them lose some weight as well. They are designed for something a little heavier than a 70srs of course.

sorry - thinking of XML here- an ASLAV uses a 325/85R16- a big, stiff, boot, designed for an armoured vehicle, that will hold the thing up if some wheel stations are removed- just to give you an idea of how stiff they are.
    They are not bullet proof- no matter what you read on here.

Matt
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. crushers

crushers post ho SILVER Star

i have watched the XL in action and wasn't impressed.
    i run a 36" tractor tire for off road use and have impressed many with it's performance, i also groove the treads for added traction...

for strickly off road use they are real hard to beat. i will be running these next weekend at the local UC run...

oh, and i run them on stock LC 16" rims

cheers
  8. dslcruzr

dslcruzr New Member

I have some 11r16 XL's and I am fairly pleased with them. Long lasting, super tough and they dig like crazy. A little slidy on off camber situations. Siping would probably be a good idea, although I haven't yet.

Attached Files:

9. jasonmt

jasonmt New Member

For the Goodyear/Titan AG tyres these are the first three that pop into my head:

11.2-16 Dyna Torque II - 35.5" tall
    12.4-16 Sure Grip Traction - 36.9" tall
    12.5L-15 SL Sure Grip Traction - 33.3" tall

Local SamToy running the 11.2-16 Dyna Torque II on 8" wheels:

Attached Files: