Advice for a newbie... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm aware that these threads must get old so I'll apologize in advance.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking through the forums, and using the search function, but would like some general impressions from you all who are familiar with which leaks and rattles are normal and which might be a bigger problem.

I've been searching for a 60 for quite awhile and found one that seems promising to me with a few reservations. It has a moderate cast of rust over the frame but it seems mostly dry and superficial, nothing crazy. Body is in decent shape, small bubbles of rust here and there but for the most part seems clean. It received a paint job at some point years ago, although the new paint is flaking off in a few spots and the old paint is visible underneath..again nothing terrible, it's not being presented as a restored vehicle.

I drove it, it seems to run strong..no stumbles, hesitation, etc. No obvious clacking or odd noises from the engine. There is a big wad of goop at the steering knuckle on each side of the front axle - pretty sure they will need rebuilt. Also, the face of the block is a mess as well, seems to have a consistent leak of some sort somewhere behind the fan/pumps/pulleys. Seller says it doesn't leave puddles or need topped off, but I'll take that with a grain of salt. Noticed some sludge along the passenger side of the block right behind the distributor/oil filter as well. Otherwise the front end seems clean. My concerns (without being familiar with the 2F) is that these could be front main or head gasket issues, which would likely be out of my realm and budget. The front axle seals/knuckles I think I could tackle in a weekend with enough YouTube support, but I'm not up for pulling an engine.

I realize you won't be able to diagnose based on generic descriptions BUT..does this stuff sound like impending doom or typical FJ60'ish stuff that may dribble for the next 10 years until I get around to it? I am aware that an '60 will need some ongoing love, I just don't want to spend my cash on one that should be passed.
(It's about 3 hours away so my next move is to call and pay a local mechanic to eyeball it, check compression, etc. - but I don't know anyone up there, so not sure how familiar they are with LC's).

Thanks much everyone.

Should have added....
It's an '87, 140,000 miles. Owner says it's all original, but it has a 5 speed manual....not sure what to make of that.

Mine has oil all over the block and the new rear main seal is also leaking. I check the oil regularly and keep an eye on my pressure and temp as often as I check my speed. These things are notorious for dribbling oil everywhere, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it, unless you are really OCD about having everything just perfect.

All 28 year old cars leak some oil someplace or another. The gaskets don't last forever.

All the symptoms you describe are normal and expected for a 60 and nothing to fret over.

The front:
if the whole front of the engine is grimey, that is likely due to the timing gear cover gasket leaking. It doesn't take much weeping of oil over the span of 28 years to create an eventual tar pit in that area. Nothing to worry about.

Same with the pushrod cover gasket. It's just old and dry.

Same with the steering knuckle seals.

Nothing you've described is out of the ordinary and none of those leaks are sugnificant

The most important things to look for is good engine compression, that the car drives good enough to your liking, there's light rust, decent interior you are happy with, that the transmission shifts well and does not make weird noises with clutch in or out, and that the truck passes smog with ease.

Just know that a ton of stuff is no longer available new for the 60.

Thanks for the responses. We'll see how it shakes out. Maybe I'll be posting pictures of a new-to-me Cruiser pretty soon!

Jesper, where in MT is it located? there are mud members all over the state, most likely get a better idea from one of us than a local mechanic who might not have been born when the rig was made.
If it's close to Helena, I'd look at it for you.
You said you test drove it, does it actually have a 5 speed?
Paul

Hey Paul,
I appreciate the offer. Unfortunately it's not in the area. The rig is up by Lewistown. I did drive it and it does in fact have a 5 speed. Maybe a Canadian model? Don't know. The mechanic I spoke to was hoping to look at it tomorrow. We'll see how it goes. Seems like a nice Cruiser from what I can tell, just don't want to rush into anything and regret it later. Thanks again!

Keep in mind that a 5spd is a highly sought after upgrade. Even used, those transmissions are the most expensive item on the vehicle!:D

what's the sellers price range?

Price matters. Also, a former repaint that is peeling can make a future repaint more expensive and difficult. Still sounds like an interesting truck, and the 5 speed trans. is a big plus for you, and for resale. The oil leaks sound very typical and very fixable, to me. Also, you can drive it and enjoy it, and tackle those over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom