Advantages and disadvantages to getting a concealed carry permit...

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Ok, I don't want to discuss the politics of this, but rather the personal advantages and disadvantages. For example, in order to get one they fingerprint you and you're "on record." Flipside is you get to carry a gun. I've been contemplating getting one, not so I can carry everyday, but so that I can carry when needed. During the summer I travel to some shady places in the state for work. Probably don't NEED to have a cc permit, but it'd be nice. I dunno, just thinking out loud. Are there any major disadvantages for the occasional carrier? Thanks

Ary

Oh yeah, any Virginians on here carry?
  2. Landpimp

Landpimp

no disadvantages I can think of, its a BIG responsility to carry however.

I am looking forward to getting my CWP back :)
  3. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

I am going to get my CWP in 3 weeks. The advantage for me is personal protection at work. I am a land surveyor and I am frequently in remote places by myself with no means of communication available. Wild animals and the occasional nut are my main concern; I currently pack a titanium Taurus .38 with snakeshot and jhp's anyhow but wish to do whatever I can to comply legally while being protected.
  4. have you done anything to scare you from giving them your prints? i just sent my app in so i can carry a peice.
  5. TexomaFJ40

TexomaFJ40

No disadvantages, the gun is the modern day sword. I've instructed the course for 4 years and the only downside is that you may have to walk back to your car if the place your are going is a posted "no gun" establishment. You also need to be mindful of where you can and cannot go with your weapon.

The moral downside is that if a situation occurs that warrants the use of deadly force to prevent injury to persons or in rare cases property, you are obligated to assist. Spending the rest of your life wondering "what if I had stopped them?" is a hard choice and there is a possibility you may have to take a life. Before taking the course, you must ask yourself, "Can I take a life in defense of my own or anothers?". If you cannot honestly answer "yes" without hesitation, do not get a permit.

A man outside a courthouse in Tyler, TX faced this choice. He was a CCW permit holder who was killed in the process of trying to defend others. He succeed in saving a life at the cost of his own. The choice is yours, you can be sheep or shepard, just be aware of the choices you may have to make. The fact is, if you draw your weapon in public, chances are someone is going to die and you are responsible for every innocent life down barrel of your weapon.
  6. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

"I was in fear for my life, I would like to speak with my attorney" :D
  7. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

The advantage of the permit is that it gives you the *option* to legally carry a handgun. In Texas, in order to obtain any legal ID (State ID, Driver's license, etc), the applicant must be fingerprinted (usually just the thumb print). Heck, my bank requires a thumb print to cash a check if you do not have an account there.
  8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator Supporting Vendor

Absolutely correct. You can not waiver in this. If you do you will end up dead, likely killed by your own gun.
  9. gulp3000

gulp3000

The decision to carry or not is the big one. The permit is just a secondary choice you need to make. Regardless of whether you answer yes or no to either, your decision comes with risks.

I was in a situation where I may have been able to save 2 innocent people if I was carrying. It was only one experience, but I came away 100% percent sure that the option to have deadly force at my disposal is a much better than not having that option.

First rule if you find yourself in a gun fight: Bring a gun. They are hard to win without one.
  10. 97 FZJ80

97 FZJ80

First rule of gun fight - Don't get into one. It's hazardous to your health!
  11. If you are afraid of the authorities having your fingerprints then you are not the type of person who would carry legally anyways.

The major disadvantage to the "occasional" carry is that you won't have it the time you actually need it.

BTW, don't you have to be 21 to get a CCW?

12. gulp3000

gulp3000

Excellent advice. Unfortunately, they are like a car wreck. You can avoid the ones caused by your driving, but you can't always avoid the ones others initiate.
  13. miked

miked

the advantages are clear.
    the dis-advantages can range greatly. like TexomaFJ40 said, there are many places you can not take it with you. i've put a small safe in the back of my 80 so i can secure it if needed. glove box/under seat should never be used. also, you have to learn to move and bend differently so it doesn't "print". printing in itself is not that bad but when bending or reaching if it becomes exposed, people tend to freak out. oh, i've got stories...
    your wardrobe is sure to change as well. i now wear pants two sizes large in order to fit the gun inside the waiste band. when i have to take it out, my pants look funny because they're simply too big. i work at a k-12 school district so obviously i don't pack at work which leads to double the number of pants i now own. do you like hawaiian shirts? j/k... another problem is the droor full of holsters you are bound to end up with before you find the one that makes the gun disappear and feel comfortable at the same time. the best holster out there won't work for every body shape. also, you will need a cell phone if you don't already have one. another down side is the way some people might treat you IF they find out. i suggest you keep it a total secret except for the need to knows. my girl is ok with it but has minor issues. (don't they all?)

btw, i carry a walther P99/.40 in a comp-tac ctac holster. i've worn it for days straight and it hides well and feels comfy.
  14. White Shark

White Shark

I wouldn't know. Freakin' jerk Kalifornia politicians only allow criminals to carry guns.
  15. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P. Moderator

Yeah, Ari...you should get a concealed permit and fly Delta.

JK.
  16. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Ive had mine for 5 years, Im due to renew*sp, Its a bit scarry at first but you get use to it, I had a shop wowner as why I was carrying a gun in his shop... I told him I ha a CC permit and he walked off...Fun!
    Good luck
  17. Bryan E.

Bryan E.

Full fingerprint set's required

In Texas, in order to obtain any legal ID (State ID, Driver's license, etc), the applicant must be fingerprinted (usually just the thumb print). [/QUOTE]

This statement about the fingerprints is not true, for the state of Texas. I've had a CHL permit since the first year they came out here and have renewed two times. Each time, you get re-fingerprinted two sets of each finger from each hand. .............As far as recommending it, I totally do; for those that want to go through all the red tape, class, time to train and practice, will adhear to the laws reguarding such, and those diligent about safety. It's a huge responsibility and not to be taken lightly. Go talk to some instructor of the classes, do some training, and see if you feel comfortable with being able to defend yourself, love ones, etc. if the situation calls for it.
  18. tabraha

tabraha Hello My Name is: TAD SILVER Star

When my wife and I got our licenses when we moved to Houston we got our fingerprints scanned, it was not mentioned as being optional at all. Similar to what FZJ80 said, it was thumbs only.
  19. Doc

Doc

No fingerprinting in Iowa!

At least, not that anyone's told me about yet. I plan to get mine eventually, probobly more for the legalities of transporting a gun in a car than the ability to carry it around Walmart.
  20. critterhunter

critterhunter

The sad thing in Wis is there is no CC and that sucks , but on the other hand I will not be a VICTIM!
    God did not make all men equal COLT DID.