adding a thimble to steel winch line (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think this has been hashed out before. I have my take off steel winch line. Today I went to pull a small sedan out of the snow. He was just off the road on the shoulder. It would have been a VERY light pull. There was a good spot to place a hook but not a shakle. My only hook is on my synthetic line. The attachment point was close to the exhaust and I didn't want to put my line there. So it was a no go. Sitting at home I have my old steel cable with a hook on one end. I would like to cut a 10-20' section with the hook on one end and a thimble or shackle on the other. Just for these small light recoverys.

I recover a few cars last year out of a rain soaked grassy field. These pulls were so light that a few I put it in 4 low and at idle it pulled them to better dry grass. That is the kind of light pull I am talking about.

What would be the best and easiest way to add a rear thimble in the wire? Or I could just put a 1/2 shackle on the hook and buy another short cheap snatch strap dedicated to the hook. It would be nice to have a short section of wire to work with that won't get burned or cut up on sharp edges.

And please. I know that this would never hold a dynamic or hard pull.

yes, crosby clips and download their installation manual so you know how to properly do it. The first video is good, the second video image is NOT correct.

Crosby (brand name) clips will easily hold a dynamic pull as long as the peak load doesn't exceed the rated load of the system. You might need 1" wire rope but it would work.

the machinery handbook, among many others surely, has the number of clips and spacing needed for such and such wire rope.

Saddle, dead horse and all that...

yes, crosby clips and download their installation manual so you know how to properly do it. The first video is good, the second video image is NOT correct.

Crosby (brand name) clips will easily hold a dynamic pull as long as the peak load doesn't exceed the rated load of the system. You might need 1" wire rope but it would work.

The screen shot in the second video is bad, but it is at the point where it is showing what not to do. Or is there something else?

The screen shot in the second video is bad, but it is at the point where it is showing what not to do. Or is there something else?

I didn't watch it so I guess it is probably good.

Just take the rope to a place that sells rope and have them crimp a new loop with a thimble on the end.

Or get a short section of chain with smaller shackles instead as it's easier to carry in a small sack and you could use it as a bridle on 2 tiedown points on a smaller vehicle where a larger shackle won't fit.

Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom