Builds Added a Sequoia.....so far, I like it! Now, to start building it.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very cool David thanks for the heads up on Stubbs and the feedback. Did you go with the double-cab tundra versions? Actually, I used the HD/SKO version (whatever that means). Here's what Richard Stubbs wrote me about them: The picture I sent you is of a HD/SKO set which is what I personally recommend! They are weld on rock sliders, and because of the frame design on the Sequoia (which has some strange angles) we leave the scab plates off just in case there might need to be some fine tuning of the legs. The set is similar in length to the 1st gen Tacoma but because the plates are left off we keep the pricing at the 4runner level. Oh, and because the Sequoia is a heavier vehicle we use five legs to the frame. As always if you have any other questions please feel free to ask!" I CAN tell you, they fit perfectly! I contacted All Pro about their Tundra sliders fitting a Sequoia and they said they couldn't say for sure. I'm doing a bunch of mods to my 3/4 tow rig getting it ready for a big family trip May/June to the Grand Canyon/Sedona area then I can focus on the Sequoia :) Trying to see whats out there to work with right now and build my shopping list. You never know I may give the 80 a breather and take the Sequoia to SCC this year and wheel with ya :) Have you done anything new to it since? Well......I sold the Sequoia. It had nothing to do at all with the truck, I just like to fool with vehicles for a little while then move to something else. I got my wife a new(er) GX460, and I've contemplated turning her previous GX470 into an offroader....either that, or I'm going to really set my sights on my 298,000 mile 100. Not sure yet. All that being said, don't back off of your Sequoia! I think you're really going to be amazed at just how wheelable / capable that truck is off-road! Like I've said in eaposts, I really thought it was going to be big and cumbersome and unwieldy in the woods....but it was none of those.....you'll end up liking it A LOT. Was looking to see if anyone did a frame winch mount plate to work with a factory bumper? I've never seen one, but that would be a great way to go. There's been talk on the 100 forum about a guy who built one. VERY nice application! In fact, I'm considering that setup for my 100.

Keep us updated!

http://www.stubbswelding.com/page2.html

Your Sequoia looks good. I am driving our second one and although I daily wish it was a 100 series Cruiser, I can't complain about the room and comfort on family road trips.

Can you post a link to the shocks you bought? Are you saying the shocks (struts) alone will give 1.3" of lift?

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1433684171.633737.jpg

Here's mine with new shoes...265/70/17s BFG KO2s which I am loving.

Now I just need some new shocks so I am trying to decide the best way to go. If I could get 1-2" lift that would be great, but aftermarket off road parts for the Sequoia are sparse as previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Cancel my previous question. I found info on the height adjustable 5100's. Didn't know that was available.

Now I just need to find the right rear OME coils.

New question. Anyone know the stock height of the stock rear coil springs? I'm trying to reference which OME rear spring would be best. Seems like OME #862 based on some of those other forum links.

I emailed Kurt at cruiser outfitters and he said he knew some guys were doing these mods on Sequoias, but didn't have any specs on the Sequoia springs to offer a recommendation on which OME springs would be best.

Last edited:
I've heard that using stock 100 rear springs gives you a few inches in the back. Not sure if I will take this route or get OME springs because I'll probably wind up going with an OME rear shock anyways.

Got the 5100s installed on the front today. Was going to set them on the 3rd lift notch (approx 1.3 inches of lift), but the shop said they wouldn't recommend going higher than 0.6 inches (the second setting).

So that's what I did. Rides great!

I was going to also install Bilsteins in the rear, but apparently neither the 4600s or 5100s are available anymore- one more reason Sequoias just aren't up to snuff with 4Runners and Cruisers for modifying.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1442284896.093261.jpg

Got the 5100s installed on the front today. Was going to set them on the 3rd lift notch (approx 1.3 inches of lift), but the shop said they wouldn't recommend going higher than 0.6 inches (the second setting).

So that's what I did. Rides great!

I was going to also install Bilsteins in the rear, but apparently neither the 4600s or 5100s are available anymore- one more reason Sequoias just aren't up to snuff with 4Runners and Cruisers for modifying. View attachment 1134063

So these bilsteins lift on their own? You don't have to replace the spring? How does this work?

5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable

Yes. They are struts so they go inside the stock springs. They have an adjustable snap ring and several grooves to choose from to select the ride height.

They give you a general guideline of how much lift to expect from each setting. Only downside is you have to take the strut back off if you want to change the setting.

5100 Series - Ride Height Adjustable

Yes. They are struts so they go inside the stock springs. They have an adjustable snap ring and several grooves to choose from to select the ride height.

They give you a general guideline of how much lift to expect from each setting. Only downside is you have to take the strut back off if you want to change the setting.

Thanks. The video actually showed the shock mount being adjustable, which was what I didn't get. Looks like a good investment!

Good info here. We just got my wife an '06 Limited. Was hoping it got a bit better mileage. Only getting 14-15mpg in town the first few tanks.

It has a nearly new set of Michelins on it so I am trying to resist the urge to buy some new ko2s.

@dnp are those sliders from Stubbs weld on? Any better photos of them? I really like the OPOR/metal tech sliders we have on the 100 because they have the plates on top which makes for a great step for the wife and kid.

Yeah, the Stubbs are weld-on. VERY nice quality! Unfortunately, no photos are available, as I sold that truck a few months ago.

The way those were built, you'd have no problem using the outer rail as a step. They fit neater/tighter to the body than the metaltechs

Good info here. We just got my wife an '06 Limited. Was hoping it got a bit better mileage. Only getting 14-15mpg in town.

I don't think I've ever gotten better than 16 on the highway and average less than 14. 75 mph speed limits don't help.

Dang. The 100 got about 11-12mpg for the few months my wife was driving it around town. I was hoping for 15+ in the Sequoia.

@dnp - The stubbs sliders look like they have bigger gaps where the kids little feet could slip through? Is this not the case? Also I had weld on sliders for the 4R and didn't like that the welds were a place water and salt would get trapped. I had to hit them with rattle can at least a few times in their short history to fend off any rust. Plus the bolts on are nice that I can remove them, clean them, rattle can them and put them back on. But there aren't many options available.

Incidentally, why did you sell the Sequoia? My wife drove a 3rd Gen 4R that was a bit too small, the 100 is built and not ideal for driving around town and I wanted to keep it setup for our big trips and camping, so we just got the Sequoia. I think it's probably the right vehicle for us right now...

Dang. The 100 got about 11-12mpg for the few months my wife was driving it around town. I was hoping for 15+ in the Sequoia. My Sequoias all got about 17-18 on the highway, but I can't remember what they got in town...

@dnp - The stubbs sliders look like they have bigger gaps where the kids little feet could slip through? Is this not the case? Yes. There are spaces in there, but they can step on the rail pretty easily. I suppose they could step through it, but there is an ample rail there Also I had weld on sliders for the 4R and didn't like that the welds were a place water and salt would get trapped. I had to hit them with rattle can at least a few times in their short history to fend off any rust. Plus the bolts on are nice that I can remove them, clean them, rattle can them and put them back on. But there aren't many options available. Yeah, I would have preferred to have had bolt-on also, but I couldn't find any out there I liked. Like you, I liked the idea of being able to remove them, if I wanted to, although I knew I never would

Incidentally, why did you sell the Sequoia? My wife drove a 3rd Gen 4R that was a bit too small, the 100 is built and not ideal for driving around town and I wanted to keep it setup for our big trips and camping, so we just got the Sequoia. I think it's probably the right vehicle for us right now... I really liked the Sequoia for a LOT of reasons, but for some reason, my wife never did. I like to change the appearance of vehicles that aren't commonly seen "outfitted." I was in the process of building that one when my wife kept telling me she wasn't fond of it....so I sold it. Prolly shouldn't have, but I'm planning to get another one at some point. Sequoias are an AWESOME value and are nearly as capable as my 80 and 100.

I got distracted on another project, so once I finish it, I'll probably start looking for another Sequoia

front half no tire.JPG

Dang. The 100 got about 11-12mpg for the few months my wife was driving it around town. I was hoping for 15+ in the Sequoia. My Sequoias all got about 17-18 on the highway, but I can't remember what they got in town...

@dnp - The stubbs sliders look like they have bigger gaps where the kids little feet could slip through? Is this not the case? Yes. There are spaces in there, but they can step on the rail pretty easily. I suppose they could step through it, but there is an ample rail there Also I had weld on sliders for the 4R and didn't like that the welds were a place water and salt would get trapped. I had to hit them with rattle can at least a few times in their short history to fend off any rust. Plus the bolts on are nice that I can remove them, clean them, rattle can them and put them back on. But there aren't many options available. Yeah, I would have preferred to have had bolt-on also, but I couldn't find any out there I liked. Like you, I liked the idea of being able to remove them, if I wanted to, although I knew I never would

Incidentally, why did you sell the Sequoia? My wife drove a 3rd Gen 4R that was a bit too small, the 100 is built and not ideal for driving around town and I wanted to keep it setup for our big trips and camping, so we just got the Sequoia. I think it's probably the right vehicle for us right now... I really liked the Sequoia for a LOT of reasons, but for some reason, my wife never did. I like to change the appearance of vehicles that aren't commonly seen "outfitted." I was in the process of building that one when my wife kept telling me she wasn't fond of it....so I sold it. Prolly shouldn't have, but I'm planning to get another one at some point. Sequoias are an AWESOME value and are nearly as capable as my 80 and 100.

I got distracted on another project, so once I finish it, I'll probably start looking for another Sequoia

View attachment 1182532

That rig looks awesome!

That rig looks awesome!
Thanks for the compliment. So far, it's probably the best overall 4wd platform I've ever owned! My wife drove a stock one for 10 years, and I always liked it. So, when the aftermarket finally started picking them up, and remembering how much I liked hers (generally) even in stock form, I thought I'd try another one.

I'm just getting started with the modifications, but so far, I couldn't be happier. Fortunately, for anyone looking for a stock version, the prices have gotten strangely inexpensive (I say it that way because, like the Sequoia, it's crazy the amount of vehicle you can now get for the money!) I had been looking for an '03+ Land Cruiser in a specific color combination, and when I was unable to find one after a year's search, I changed direction. Once I learned how "inexpensive" GXs have gotten, I had to try one.

Again, for both on-road and off-road, it's probably the best all-around rig I've ever owned...........
In the woods.JPG

Interesting. I'm actually in the process of getting rid of my GX470. I'd like a 100 series, but am also considering a Sequoia for all the reasons you mentioned. My GX is stock and whatever replaces it will stay stock as well. Ever since I had my slightly modified 80 series, I've learned a stock GX/Sequoia/LC100 is way more than capable enough for my purposes (family camping/road trips).

I got my GX when I grew tired of trying to find a 100 series. They are cheap and plentiful. But I just never took to it. The suspension is too finicky (a non-issue if swapping to coils) and with each passing day I hate the rear door even more. I thought I would get used to it, but it actually bothers me more now. What a crazy design decision - especially given the great tailgates on the 4 Runner and LC100 and even the Prado.

I'm pretty much focused on 2005-07 Sequoias for the better engine. After test driving one, it has really grown on me. I feel like I settled when I bought the GX. With the Sequoia, I don't think it will be "settling." It is just a different target. As you said - great value.

I will miss the power of the 2005+ GX though. The thing is pretty much a hot rod in SUV form.

Interesting. I'm actually in the process of getting rid of my GX470. I'd like a 100 series, but am also considering a Sequoia for all the reasons you mentioned. My GX is stock and whatever replaces it will stay stock as well. Ever since I had my slightly modified 80 series, I've learned a stock GX/Sequoia/LC100 is way more than capable enough for my purposes (family camping/road trips).

I got my GX when I grew tired of trying to find a 100 series. They are cheap and plentiful. But I just never took to it. The suspension is too finicky (a non-issue if swapping to coils) and with each passing day I hate the rear door even more. I thought I would get used to it, but it actually bothers me more now. What a crazy design decision - especially given the great tailgates on the 4 Runner and LC100 and even the Prado.

I'm pretty much focused on 2005-07 Sequoias for the better engine. After test driving one, it has really grown on me. I feel like I settled when I bought the GX. With the Sequoia, I don't think it will be "settling." It is just a different target. As you said - great value.

I will miss the power of the 2005+ GX though. The thing is pretty much a hot rod in SUV form.
Yeah, I can identify with a lot of what you're saying. When we had a stock '03 GX, the suspension was always too soft for me - regardless of the shock control setting. However, when I bought this one and changed over to coils and Bilsteins all around....Holy Cow, what a difference! COMPLETELY different truck! I had much the same experience with the change in suspension on the Sequoia, even though I only changed the front shocks. Toytec has a pretty sweet suspension line (what I put on the GX), and I will probably use them again if I get another Sequoia.

There are LOTS of things I liked about the Sequoia, with the part-time 4wd and the bigger overall size being near the top. I don't mind the rear door on the GX - in fact, I have come to really like it (incidentally, Prados also have rear doors) - but I also really liked the Sequoia liftgate. Both trucks have gotten to be incredible values, so you can't go wrong with either. Both have their strong and weak points, but I do find the GX to be a little more refined. That being said, it's worth noting that I did have the very first year Sequoia (2001), and I'm confident they made big refinement strides in the later years....although, if you're looking for a later-model Sequoia, I would investigate the whole secondary air injection problem which started, I think, in 2005. I think there's a fairly reasonable work-around, but if you're planning to correct the problem as original, it can get quite spendy.

I'm a big 2UZ-FE fan, and I like every vehicle that's powered by it. In fact, if the swap weren't so expensive, I'd be inclined to put one in my 80.....but it'll just have to settle for a 6.0L GM for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom