Accidental Tundra Motor Upgrade 2UZFE engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some years ago I had to replace the engine. My mechanic tells me to buy any toyota 4.7L motor. I was on ebay and lowballed someone nearby on a low mileage 4.7L Engine 01 02 03 04 TOYOTA TUNDRA (VIN T, 5th digit, 2UZFE eng. He sold it and shipped it for $500. My mechanic with great difficulty installed it. I didn't realize until later that I had bought the wrong motor when he told me how much of a pain it was to install. I believe we had to buy a different oil pan.

After driving around with it I really love it but have been very confused why it's sooo much more powerful and high reving when compared to the original motor. The original motor was very limp and tame but the Tundra motor is peppy and fun to drive. The engine makes a really nice revving sound whenever I slam the gas. Can anyone elaborate as to what the difference is between the two? Based on what I gather it should have similar output but the car drives like a pickup monster now. There really is no comparison between the two.

Before I had to plan whenever changing lanes, because of how slow the car was. Now, I am able to stomp on the gas and change lanes at will like a sports car. In fact sometimes, the vehicle breaks loose and almost peels the tires.

I can't tell you why, but I'd love to know. Sounds like a nice upgrade. Did you swap just the long block and retain all of your land cruiser electronics/computer/sensors?

Some years ago I had to replace the engine.

Now, I am able to stomp on the gas and change lanes at will like a sports car. In fact sometimes, the vehicle breaks loose and almost peels the tires.

This is the summary.

Please post pictures of the engine. Sounds strange as they power difference is very small.

I assumed the power difference was derived by programming, not hardware?

Might help to know why the original engine needed to be replaced. If it was dying (not performing near spec), any properly running replacement engine - especially one with 15+ HP - would feel like a huge improvement.

I'd really like to know what was wrong with old engine and why?
Why didn't your mechanic just switch oil pans?

Engine #1 not running properly. #2 03 - 05 + hp. 06 - 07 ++ hp & VVTi.

I have a 2005 Tundra DC, that year it has 10hp more, so 280 or 290 on paper, can't remember?
its also a VVTI engine and it hauls ass
3.73 gearing?
for 2005 it had the most American labor and parts content as well

my 2003 LC has 230 or 235hp ? and 4.10 gearing
its a different philosophy altogether
different mission
different capabilities

detuned or uptuned
depends on what platform you're standing on

The original motor 02 had a bent rod from improper ECU programming with the supercharger. We never put it on a DYNO to properly tune it and that was a costly mistake. Somehow there were not enough ECU programmers in chicago who were familiar with tuning the device.

When it had the supercharger it gave slightly more power than the Tundra engine. The Tundra engine has some benefits that the supercharger did not. It gives more low end torque and somehow feels more solid IMHO. The supercharger was slightly faster and we were pushing the highest amount of boost we could.

I agree that on paper the differences are minimal but on the street this thing is a beast. It is beyond a day and night comparison. It has been baffling my mind everyday I drive this thing. I came across the article about iforce engines, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

I think you have answered your own question. A poorly tuned boosted motor is likely to run worse than a naturally aspirated motor with the proper tune.

I'm thinking what Manhattan said. Mine drives as you describe your does with the Tundra engine.

Interesting. Especially considering you have 33" tires as well. Maybe it's my driving style but in no way does my LC drive like that.

I guess I just baby her too much.

Interesting. Especially considering you have 33" tires as well. Maybe it's my driving style but in no way does my LC drive like that.

I guess I just baby her too much.
It is interesting, and to add to the conversation: My buddy has a 2000 or 2001 (can't recall for sure) in great condition and runs like a top. For whatever reason, with him on stock size tires, I'm quicker than he is. He also runs premium, I run regular.

It is interesting, and to add to the conversation: My buddy has a 2000 or 2001 (can't recall for sure) in great condition and runs like a top. For whatever reason, with him on stock size tires, I'm quicker than he is. He also runs premium, I run regular.

It amazes me how much different each individual 100 series is. My sister has a 2000 as well and it drives completely differently than mine. Her tranny is smoother and even seems to shift at different points. Although it does not seem to be much quicker than mine.

The only difference between ours is I have the "gold" emblem package and she does not.

I guess you have an 100 with an attitude!

It amazes me how much different each individual 100 series is. My sister has a 2000 as well and it drives completely differently than mine. Her tranny is smoother and even seems to shift at different points. Although it does not seem to be much quicker than mine.

The only difference between ours is I have the "gold" emblem package and she does not.

I guess you have an 100 with an attitude!
Ya I've drive an LX as well and it also felt different, I've just assumed they're all a bit unique :) I'm like you, I lucked out with the gold "upgrade":mad:

FWIW, I have a 2004 Tundra V8, and it feels WAY faster and more powerful than my 99 LC, especially off the line or getting on the freeway.

FWIW, I have a 2004 Tundra V8, and it feels WAY faster and more powerful than my 99 LC, especially off the line or getting on the freeway.
That'd be because of the 1,000 lb weight difference. The 100 would need about 340 HP to match the Tundra's power to weight ratio.

So not only do we have a locker we're faster too!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom