1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC setup for FJ55

Discussion in 'For Sale - Parts' started by FJ55partsBoise, Jun 11, 2003.

1. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

There seems to be a fair amount of interest in the AC setup from this 1978 FJ55. The system is 100% complete and OEM. I just need to know what a fair price would be for the whole system?

I'm not interested in gouging anyone just getting a fair price to get a portion of my investement in this parts rig back.

Thanks to the list experts who can help with this sort of thing.

Aaron

2. J_Red

J_Red

When you find out what you're going to be asking, let me know, and I may be interested in it.

Sorry I can't help you establish a value, tho.

- J.

3. FJ55partsBoise

FJ55partsBoise

I was thinking $250 due to how tough it is to find these parts anywhere. A vintage air aftermarket setup costs $1000- $1200. I had a guy tell me ebay would bring twice what I'm asking...........

4. J_Red

J_Red

If you have any photos of the setup, can you email them to me?

jreddout@cox.net

Thanks!

- J.

5. cruiserbrett

cruiserbrett Moderator

I have purchased a complete nearly perfect setup for $250. As much I would love to tell you it is worth $500+, its not. There are no OEM or aftermarket TXV's(expansion valves) avaiible for the systems, and if it is dirty or bad it needs replacement which will require a custom setup$$$ and replumbing of the evaporator. No compressor rebuild parts are availible for any vintage of FJ55 compressors, so a refit is needed if a new compressor is warranted. the design of the OEM brackets for 1975 and newer compressors is not compatable with many(if any?) aftermarket compressors such as a Sanden 508 or others.

The hoses in the OEM setups are not barrier wall, so if you want to charge the setup with r134a, chalk up new hoses to the $$$ and the outdated condensor will likely need to be replaced, as it is not up to the task of adequate cooling with r134a b/c it is not efficient enough and likely pretty beat given its age. Keeping r12 is fine, but it is about $30-70 / lb depending on location/demand and the FJ55 systems take about 2.2 lbs.

You would have to include the balancer on the front of the engine, because it has the third groove(rear most) for a/c compressor if you are trying to keep the factory compressor or location. No other trucks had these except for FJ60's and they are over $100 used from specter and VERY hard to find otherwise.

If you open the system you really MUST replace the reciver dryer(due to the dessicant inside, another $30-40, and this is included in the vintage kit.

Just my lessons learned trying to refit the OEM a/c parts in my cruiser. Not easy and MORE expensive than the vintage kit by the time I was done...