AC How to ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
Little assistance here fellows .. after this episode last year, my AC no longer works, I was dealing with some mods and other stuff until now and it's time to face it ..

Took a look on the FSM but still no clue, I have no blower motor, no compressor clutch engaging no nothing ..

AC wasn't working at the river crossing but water was up to the AC amplifier and blower .. all that stuff it's dry now for sure, kinda rusted and I was expecting some issues with the AC but not the blower ..

Anyhow where I should start looking .?

Any comments will greatly appreciated ..

IMG_4938 (1).JPG

Start with the blower motor. Check the circuit breaker (inside the fuse panel, labeled "heater"). There is also a 10Amp fuse for AC. And there is the Heater Relay. Otherwise, start with the trouble shooting section in the FSM. Or check for power at each component.

The blower should run with power. For the compressor to engage, you need signals from a pressure and temperature switch. But I would think the blower would still run even if the compressor isn't working correctly...so start with that.

Attachments

• Pages from chassis-body-84-90-2.pdf
    367.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Pages from chassis-body-84-90.pdf
    145.2 KB · Views: 159
Prob more basic than you need...but did you push a paper clip in and reset the blower motor fuse already?

damn .. is there any blower motor fuse on it ? I'll need to check and thanks that was I was talking about with comments and ideas .. now I have where to start with ..

Start with the blower motor. Check the circuit breaker (inside the fuse panel, labeled "heater"). There is also a 10Amp fuse for AC. And there is the Heater Relay. Otherwise, start with the trouble shooting section in the FSM. Or check for power at each component.

The blower should run with power. For the compressor to engage, you need signals from a pressure and temperature switch. But I would think the blower would still run even if the compressor isn't working correctly...so start with that.

Circuit breaker it's good as well as the AC fuse .. but will need to go with the blower first ..

i watched your vid of that river "crossing".

I think about it often. And will remember it for the rest of my life.

AC not working? Amazing you still have Tencha to drive!

Wow!

After that river I ran out of lockers ( compressor fuse ) and still got few muddy hills to climb, we got in front of another river that was a no go to cross .. so we need to camp that night and wait river comes down ..

Next day we made it out of the " mountains " and drive about 200 miles home ..

well first thing is to know if you have freon in your system still. If the system has been continimated..then you have bigger problems and potentially will have to replace things. I would hot-wire the ac compressor to see if it will engage once you determine if you have freon still. Its likely you also may have some corrosion issues at the wiring connections and or any electrical motors like the fan, which most likely given the time that has passed will require replacement.

Hot wiring the compressor won't get your blower to turn on. The blower switch/heater relay is where ALL the power comes from to run the blower, engage the compressor, etc. If your blower isn't working, either from a bad circuit breaker, bad relay or bad blower switch, you won't get anything from the AC.

I correct myself from above. There are three fuses/breakers. Two will keep the blower from running--the circuit breaker and a 7.5A "heater relay"(?) fuse. The 10A A/C fuse only effects operation of the AC but not the blower.

Capture.JPG

if the compressor does not engage it wont matter if the blower fan works or not. See if the compressor engages as described....then you can see if the system gets cold....after which you can most likely get a new blower fan motor and or troubleshoot that part. If you have rust in your ac system or its open to the atmosphere for a long period...its likely that some components will require replacement.. Always replace the dryer and always pull a vacuum on the system before recharging or after the system has been "open" for any reason.

You can see if the system gets cold simply by observation under the hood when you test for compressor engagement....the A/c hoses will get cold on one side of the system if its working right...regardless if the fan works or not. This can be observed while the compressor is engaged (if it does) and while you leave it running engaged for a short period of time to see what happens wile observing with the hood open.

I correct myself from above. There are three fuses/breakers. Two will keep the blower from running--the circuit breaker and a 7.5A "heater relay"(?) fuse. The 10A A/C fuse only effects operation of the AC but not the blower.

that circuit breaker sits under the internal fuse box right .?

Where is video of this "crossing"?

from the outside ..

from the inside ..

You can see if the system gets cold simply by observation under the hood when you test for compressor engagement....the A/c hoses will get cold on one side of the system if its working right...regardless if the fan works or not. This can be observed while the compressor is engaged (if it does) and while you leave it running engaged for a short period of time to see what happens wile observing with the hood open.

thanks I got this part .. ( I'll report tomorrow .. test day )

may I offer this friendly sage advice....you were crazy for trying that river crossing :)

may I offer this friendly sage advice....you were crazy for trying that river crossing :)

in my defense .. few guys ( 3 cars ) made it 15 mins before us ( me and another friend who obviously didn't attempt it after my scene )

About my AC, compressor works .. hot wired it, magnetic clutch engages, compressor start doing it thing and one of the lines got cold.

In my fuse panel have AC fuse 10Amp but I have no 12V there ( ignition switch ON position ) not with the fuse, not without the fuse in none of 2 terminals where the fuse goes.

Have Heater Circuit Breaker 12V on one of the terminals ( up terminal ) and with the CB in place the top plate ( I open it ) have 12V

Where is that heater relay ..?

I don't know where the heater relay is. But I would try the same old school trick with the fan to see if it works. Locate the fan motor down on the passenger side underneath the glove box area and then locate the plug that feeds it power. disconnect the power feed to the fan and hot wire the fan with 12 volts to see if the fan motor works. I use an old radio shack power supply for this or you can use some jumper wires or something. I do that first to ensure the fan works...then delve into the relays once you know the fan technically operates, of course then plugging the wiring back together.

¡Chucha mi amigo, tu eres muy LOCO jajajaja! Necesitas instalar unas bomba chicas para sacar el agua...

Ive never had anywhere near that much water, but I have had enough water in my fan blower to cause a little corrosion between the brushes and the commutator, which was enough to stop the blower fan from running. If you can't get it to go, and have power at the plug, pop the motor off, take it apart, clean the commutator and bruscos with an ink eraser (the blue kind) and be sure that the brushes can move freely in their slots. Should be good to run after that, just keep it out of the water!!!

¡Disfruitas Panamá para me, hoy aquí tenemos nevar!

Blower motor works .. just test it .. I'm getting to the point I believe the heater ( in my pic blower ) relay it's the one .. I found in my relay stash 2 others that looks pretty much the same .. but different part number and didn't take the chance to test them ..

Anyone have procedure to test those 5 legs relays .?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom