AC belt too short? What part # did you use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys! Trying to change the AC belt in my 80 but it seems like the belt Autozone gave me is far too short. Even with the tensioner pulley removed there is no way to get it over the crank/AC.

Where did you get your belt? Part #?

I did that. It was insanely tight.

Ended up doing the redneck method of bumping the engine and that pulled the belt on. What a pita that job was... I expected 3 minutes to replace it. Whoops

Buy Toyota belts next time. Common issue with auto stores belts

For a 95 LC, what's the part number? I bought a toyota brand ac belt and it was too tight.

Weird. I bought the $5 advance auto parts special and it worked great. Drive works I think is the brand. Needed a belt on a Sunday.

Last edited:
Well, even the dealership (American Toyota in Albuquerque) should have it for about $15, discounted with the IH8MUD program.
It's what I have but it sure was tight.
I'll try again with the 'engine bump' method.
Thanks @FXJ 96 for confirming the part number.

man that cannot be right at all....confimred the part # just now -
and took a quick look - my tensioner pulley deflects / tights the belt quite a bit - probably a good 4" from center (a/c and crank)

and you are right it is literally a 3 minute - loosen 2 nuts job - and even if there were "tightness" the tensior pulley again
has quite bit of threading to loosen and tighten....

bF

Just got done putting the AC belt on. The PO never had it on and I have only had this LC for a few months.
I ended up taking the tension pulley off, circled in red, to put the belt on. I installed the belt (still needed to use the bump method as it would not slip on even with the tension pulley off) reinstalled the pulley and it was much easier. 5 minute job, max. Much better than I had originally tried. You can see by the threads, I barely tightened the tension.

Thanks guys!
ac.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom