A442F Transmission help in 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
jumeirahparts.com
For a while my land cruiser's transmission has been acting up. It won't shift into reverse or 3rd gear until it gets warm, the reverse dash light does not come till it gets warm either even after it does it still slips for a quarter of a second till it finally goes into Reverse or 3rd but then shifts smoothly into 4th.
I also recently found out that the oil cooler lines that go into the bottom of the radiator were not connected after the radiator was replaced by a "Mechanic". I have fixed that issue now and I guess that the transmission was overheated due to this.
I would like to know what you guys think of this and what I should do, I'm not in a hurry to get it fixed at the moment.
I believe the A442f in the 80 series has a few differences than the one in The 100 series but I'd still appreciate any advice you could offer.

Huh? The a442 was in 93-94 models, 95-97 used an a343 which is also used in 98-02 models. You can use one of these with mods, I'm not sure of the details specifically. But not the a442, that won't work unless you through lots of money at it.

Last edited:
Huh? The a340 was in 93-94 models, 95-97 used an a340 which is also used in 98-02 models. You can use one of these with mods, I'm not sure of the details specifically. But not the a442, that won't work unless you through lots of money at it.

Confused as well, but 99.99% positive my 94 has an A442-F

Thanks , sorry typo on mobile. I'll fix my post, thanks @ewillis

The a442 was in 93-94. Bottom line I don't see how you can use a a442 in a 100 series

Huh? The a442 was in 93-94 models, 95-97 used an a340 which is also used in 98-02 models. You can use one of these with mods, I'm not sure of the details specifically. But not the a442, that won't work unless you through lots of money at it.
My 100 series is GCC spec and comes with the 1fz-fe and A442F Trans

My 100 series is GCC spec and comes with the 1fz-fe and A442F Trans

Ah so not us spec, that's important info. So you have a 105 series? If not what is it? I don't know what 105s had for a tranny as North America never got them, but wouldn't suspect an a442 would be it. I could be wrong though. Are you sure it's not an a343? That's what I would think would be in those.

But regardless, either should bolt up pretty easy as long as you get the right one.

Last edited:
Ah so not us spec, that's important info. So you have a 105 series? If not what is it? I don't know what 105s had for a tranny as North America never got them, but wouldn't suspect an a442 would be it. I could be wrong though. Are you sure it's not an a340? That's what I would think would be in those.

But regardless, either should bolt up pretty easy as long as you get the right one.
It's not a 105, it's a 100 series IFS, 1fz and A442F and I'm not looking to swap transmissions I just want to repair mine.

Yep 100 and 105 non us spec trucks as well as the later 80's in other countries kept the A442, the US as far as I can tell is the only place that went to the A343F trans in '95. I suspect CAFE laws had something to do with it.

It sounds like you have certainly over heated your transmission, auto's are especially fragile if they get too hot. I would pull the drain plug and check for clutch material, but it sounds like you're going to need a rebuild. You might be able to get away with upping the line pressure with a shift kit to keep the burnt clutches from slipping but it would just be a bandaid fix.

Yep 100 and 105 non us spec trucks as well as the later 80's in other countries kept the A442, the US as far as I can tell is the only place that went to the A343F trans in '95. I suspect CAFE laws had something to do with it.

It sounds like you have certainly over heated your transmission, auto's are especially fragile if they get too hot. I would pull the drain plug and check for clutch material, but it sounds like you're going to need a rebuild. You might be able to get away with upping the line pressure with a shift kit to keep the burnt clutches from slipping but it would just be a bandaid fix.
Who makes a shift kit for the A442F? I have looked for one but have had no luck.

I think you're stuck getting a valve body upgrade. Not entirely sure the A442 has not been on my radar.

Who makes a shift kit for the A442F? I have looked for one but have had no luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom