1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Postive for the 4 wheel drive community

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Romer, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

I figured I would post this here because this is much more than a trail event. If you want to get to the point, just skip to the end.

Rising Sun 4WD club of Colorado has partnered with the Boulder Ranger District of the US Forrest Service to save a trail that was about to be closed. The big concern last year was people going going off trail and tearing up the land and making a large unsightly mud bog. The Sierra Club was using this as an example of why this trail should be closed.

Our Land Use Coordinator Bill Morgan (Red_Chile) convinced the US Forrest Service to allow us to fix the trail so the offroad vehicles will stay on the trail. The sierra club even agreed to help replant the area after we fenced it in, although almost none of them showed up.

So in August of 2006, Rising Sun showed up with almost 20 folks and several Jeep clubs heard about it and stopped to lend a hand. We went in and fenced off the non-trail areas that were off limits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The majority of the trail did not need fencing off and we ended up only doing about a little less than a mile

This year, John Henley designed a Kiosk that the US Forrest service wanted to continue the restoration of this area. John designed and with the clubs help, built a solid steel Kiosk that we could haul up there and assemble on the spot. The Local news crew showed up, and it took them 3 hours to get there. John Henley is the one being interviewed.

http://www.9news.com/video/player.aspx?aid=39724&bw=

Another crew of Rising Sun Folks showed up to help John and Bill Morgan install the Kiosk

[​IMG]

Now to the point (Told you at the beginning I had one). Over Cigars and beverages while camping (Had to wait for the concrete to cure to remove supports). We were discussing the reason people go off the trail and don't think anything of it. Some are just a-holes, but we concluded most don't understand and no one has explained it to them with the consequences. Bill related a story on how a person came by on a different trail and asked why an off trail area had just been barricaded with a tree trunk. After having it explained to him, the man understood and said he never thought about it. He caught up with Bill on the same trail later that day and was very positive and supportive of keeping on the trail. I also related on how when I was a teenager I went off trail because I did not no there was such a thing or what it meant.

The Jenny Creek Trail was an inch from closure by people tearing up the area at the exit of the trail just below Yankee doodle lake. The reason it did not get closed is our Land Use Coordinator (Bill Morgan) has developed a relationship with the Boulder Ranger district. Bill convinced them to give us a chance to fix it so even the sierra club would be happy. Bill's efforts and labor and $$$ from our club helped turn this around.

This trail is now safe for our use, but what if Bill and our club had not stepped up? One more trail gone for good based on the behavior of a few folks who thought it would be fun to go off trail. There are a lot of 4 wheelers here, most are experienced some are starting out. Sometime we assume that folks will understand this. I thought it worth bringing up on what an individual and a club can do.

More on the 2006 Project

More on what we did this year

2. Romer

Jenny Creek trail dumps off into Yankee Doodle Lake. This is what that looks like coming off the trail. The Kiosk we put in is behind the green 80 in the 2nd picture.

3. spotcruiser

spotcruiser Geezer SILVER Star

Nice job all.

:beer: to Rising Sun.

4. decavo

decavo

good job rising sun club .. more clubs should have a relationship with rangers blm and the like .. and we should all stay on marked trails ... even if they are boring ..

5. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ." SILVER Star

Hi All:

Awesome job, Rising Run!! :cheers:

Thanks for sharing with us!

Regards,

Alan

6. surfpig

surfpig The Anti-Tech

Sweet!

:cheers:

And, x eleventy-billion:

7. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Fantastic job.

8. Romer

Thanks Guys. It's rewarding to be able to do something like this. We have a pretty good club that takes this sport seriously. Again Kudos to Bill for keeping our compass set and John for the Kiosk.

9. OZCAL

OZCAL

Ken, that's great :beer:

LOL - "no shooting" taped to the traffic cone...:D

10. MoCoNative

MoCoNative

That's excellent work on Rising Suns part. I'm glad you all work wo hard with this stuff, and the group as a whole is really an example for others to follow.

What I have noticed is that most responsible off roaders do stick to the trails. But it is the tards that feel they just need to tear shit up. What most of these yahoos need is a gravel pit or something they can drive around all night long. We need more all out open areas like that where the tards can go and play and tear things up, and leave the trails for people that just like to get out, enjoy the ride, hard or easy and enjoy each others company.

This does happen everywhere though. I live a couple of miles out of town. There is an unimproved county road that runs by my house. A couple of weeks ago it rained really hard, so things were good and muddy. Well at three in the morning two a holes woke my wife and I up. They were over a mile away, and the wound up diesel engines in their trucks woke us up. They tore the shit out of the road. But worse yet, all the land along the side of the road belongs to my wifes grandparents. People do this all the time, they tear up the road, so it is rough as hell for us that have to use it, and they get out in the fields and tear them up, if they can't get down the road. There is no real reason to do these things, private or public lands, except for some people are just jerks and don't care about others at all.

Hopefully the baricades help, and the kiosk can be used to educate a few. Again I applaud Rising Sun for all the hard work you all do.

11. IDave

IDave

Excellent work! I'm glad to hear about it. It is true that people who misuse ORVs are having a tremendous impact where they shouldn't. The backlash is building and even regular users are aware of how bad the abuse has become. It's too bad the few are ruining things for everyone else.

A friend and I spent an hour yesterday blocking off ORV access to a gated, no motorized trail. If we want to preserve appropriate use we have to stop inappropriate use. Otherwise we'll see complete bans.

12. Kaderabek

Kaderabek

Excellent work. Glad to see you took some fine reading material with you as well. :D

TJK

13. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Glad to see your making a difference. Great thread.

No hijack intended

UC has never done a whole lot when it came to trail maint. We have always had an Adopt A Highway but never actually gone out and done more than pick beer cans off the trail while wheeling. This has changed. We worked with STLA this past month to do some work in Tellico though they deserve all the credit. It was a lot of work. A group went up and helped clear overgrown brush on a trail and all of us help put out trail signs and seed in the silt traps the next day. It was a good feeling knowing we were trying to help maintain the trails we use. I hope we continue doing this in a bigger way.

[​IMG]

14. cajun65

cajun65

Excellent work guys

15. Romer

That's great work Marshall, no hi-jack taken. It just ads to the point I was trying to make. It's not about what our club did, but what we as a community can do to first educate those who don't know what off trail means and second to team with government agencies and clean up and preserve trails so they don't get closed.