A Humble FJ80 OM617 R151F Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some more pics...

New pedal position... still fiddling...
23409-1376513275-d3808dfa2c5827692db17ce6b67a638a.jpg

Final Tank Position...
23398-1376510690-881bec36d83b8980eff20ec0f3aff90e.jpg

Nestled...
24785-1390544372-f48850c6a8e8a81d9a3c4c8b166c87d0.jpg

Ford Solenoid for GP's...
23400-1376511538-7bbc557af05ffde273631348005673c5.jpg

Mitsubishi Eclipse Fuel Door (GMC diesel conversion van filler neck)
23403-1376512083-1b7b32372e260ac2313be6cf4ea5b279.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I had to cut off the brake bracket that was with it originally.

I'm pretty sure the big MC pushrod hole was already there with a grommet, you could likely buy the correct assy. from overseas if you could find it, the firewall is stamped to allow a clutch/MC.

I had to elongate and bend the pedal to align with the others. I used hardlines from a 1st gen 4runner. I even tied the neutral start switch into the start circuit .

I got the Turbo Flywheel-Clutch-bearings etc. etc. from Mr. Marlin, the MC and response cylinder (Aisin) from NWTeamYota and the adapters (flywheel, bellhousing) were the elegant work of 4x4 Labs. (Thanks, Luke!)

A few more...

Original Owner thought it would be excellent to torch the frame for this (yes, both sides...)
23401-1376511929-5306144ee4dad3773e7e21cbc51bb857.jpg

And my sweet temporary gauges... (Bonus if you can figure out what the bottle is from!...)
23408-1376513275-ceae6ba7e626697ce0c94a44f8d6bda3.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't use the dash timer, but I am installing the Pyrometer this eve

But it was certainly quicker than the 3F-E/A440; but likely that is mostly due to the part-time 5-speed tranny!

Cruises at 65 @ 3000rpm, not much pull after that, but I still have to dial in the motor...

I really like the gear ratio apart from the fact that 3rd is a little tall for in town, the low 1st is nice!

P.S. - What do you guys think about ATF in diesel to clean injectors/ULSD lubricity?

P.S. - What do you guys think about ATF in diesel to clean injectors/ULSD lubricity?

when i used to own mercedes diesels (w123 & w124's) i always had good results with Lubro Moly Diesel Purge. you can basically use a can of it as the fuel tank. not sure it's still out there though. i love the sound of the 617 @ 3200 rpm!

I can actually get the Lubro Diesel Purge at my local NAPA for a fraction of the cost of online!

I have run one can through when the fuel was low, but I haven't run it directly yet, though it suggests it on the can as well.

I do love the sound of the 617 when they are purring right along! (Unfortunately this one is also knocking considerably, but it seems to be in the top end.)

Thanks for taking the time to put your project here for all to see. I've got one waiting in the wings, already have Luke's adapter and NEW H55 but hadn't thought about putting it into an 80.

I didn't see what gear ratio you are running, still stock?

ATF is fine in that mercedes to run and will help clean everything out. But its more of just like adding a bottle of fuel injection cleaner from time to time to a gas engined car.

For better immediate results purging it by making it run off of nothing but something like lubro moly or diesel kleen is what you want to do.

Most mercedes guys use lubro moly because its german and is what most mercedes website tell you to use.

NAPA is the best place to buy it.

Have you registered the vehicle as a diesel yet?? I think I read somewhere that WA swap laws are pretty easy.

I'm fairly sure in NC you couldn't use an engine that is older than the one replacing.

I'm fairly sure in NC you couldn't use an engine that is older than the one replacing.

That's the EPA guideline. Some states are under such a microscope with the feds (e.g. Arizona) that it is strictly enforced: has to be same year or newer from a passenger rather than industrial vehicle.

Other states, exercise some independence.

For the record I am unable to determine for certain how it works in Utah (in an emissions county). There is some indication that i may just need to re-register as a diesel. Some suspicion that getting a new title as a reconstructed vehicle may be required. Dunno. nobody who's done a diesel swap in Utah and registered in a county with emissions inspection has said anything that i can find.

MtbCoach:
I am running all stock ratios, all in all they work out fine, though 3rd is tall to do 25-27mph in town; but a minor inconvenience. Though with a H55, I would wait for a OM603 with a decent head casting. Ask Luke about his '80, I'm pretty sure that's what he did.

lt1 and Slim:
I haven't switched her over yet, but I talked to the emissions guys before I started and they only smog newer diesel vehicles (<15yrs old?). The fuel change is just filing the appropriate paperwork. The fellow at the smog station had a coworker that had just done it in a 1st gen 4runner.

As far as the reconstructed thing goes, I bought the rig with a reconstructed title since I planned on cutting into it, and that can be a tough ethical question with a clean rig.

Funny thing is, once I reg'd in this state (with all appropriate reconstructed paperwork), they issued a clean title for the rig... (though now I can't see anyone not noticing the extent of the current modification!)

Got 'er plated and all, adjusted the valves (all were tight), mileage seems to be ~21+mpg, but I have only done about 200 miles so far, and lots of idling. She will cruise at 72, but no real acceleration past that.

The knock still persists, and I need to clean up the gauges and the wiring. As well as build a bumper, and lots of little finishing work.

I am driving the rig to work this week so we shall see if anything emerges!

Cadin - nice job. How long did it take you to complete the swap (major work) and how is the acceleration from dead stop? Also, how is the clearance between the oil pan and the axle underneath?

Sorry but I had to chuckle - you can swap an engine in a truck, but have trouble posting pictures... hehe. Hope I'm not the only one seeing the irony in this... :) You've got some sillz on that build, that's for sure.

I've long fancied a OM603 swap for my '95 - does Luke now have an adapter for them to something?

Last edited:
Oh, It wasn't only the pictures, I had plenty of trouble in the swap too! :lol:

Acceleration from a dead stop is hugely increased, but I think that is just the combination of the 5-speed and the fact that the r151f has a low 1st. I also haven't turned up the motor from stock yet, and winding it out I'm only seeing EGT's of 1000-1100F.

I have actually been going a little faster than I thought, according to the GPS the gauge is ~10% on the low side. (Thus 72mph => ~80mph) The clearance for the oil pan to axle required some "massaging", I would have welded but I'm not that skilled with Arc to not just blow through the 'pan.

I would certainly say it was tenacity that got me through this swap, the appearance of skill is only that! (But Thanks for the Support!)

As far as an OM603 is concerned, they are a pretty optimal power plant for an 80, as is the 4bt. I know that the rig on Luke's site is powered by a 603, and that there is far more aftermarket support for them. I would call him and pick his brain.

Last edited:
Bonus Fun:
A guy I know had some 2013 FJ Cruiser Rear Toyota/Bilsteins (48530-0W040) laying around from going to a bigger lift, and I put them in the FJ80 today.

vzn4xpF.jpg

They are maybe .5" taller, if that and are an excellent replacement.

The days of feeling like I was out at sea are over! Yaaay! Now for the fronts...

Pyrometer / EGT probe...

AbJEPPG.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my mega-limited resources bumper, basically I built it in ~3hrs with steel I had on hand, so it was more like a puzzle than a proper bumper build.

I am unsure how I feel about it yet, I was thinking of extending around the side corner, but what are your guys thoughts on this?

It is pretty Good, Bad, and Ugly, so feel free to be candid! (Cost ~$40!)

picture.php

picture.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom