A Humble FJ80 OM617 R151F Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Gang,

Since I have used this site (and a few others...) exhaustively in piecing this experiment together and am grateful to all for their blood sweat and tears in their own battles; I felt bound to post some pics and info of the event to contribute to the overall mayhem of the group.

Enjoy!

-Mr. Nate

(Feel free to inundate me with any questions you wish! Happy Building!)

fB7piNQ.jpg

IMG_1164.JPG

Last edited:
It got me around the block!

I can't seem to figure out the URL upload method for pics on here, what do you guys normally do, use the attach or just input links from web image sever of choice?

A Few Details:
-OM617 -952 ~170k on the clock; (did the cap-blowby test, barely moves.)

-R151F dropped stock fuel tank to allow for centered-forward driveline (rear is still offset)
*Shifters Conflicting! (Each other, not body)

Mounted 1992 4-runner tank in spare tire location ($25 craiglist experiment). I plan on putting in another tank in the stock location, but I am unsure whether to modify the existing tank or mount a different one. Used a filler neck from a early 80 chevy diesel conversion van, and a gas cover from an eclipse...
-----------
Used DPDT switch to perform triple (GLOW, START, STOP) function with two momentary positions.

The Positions are:
(MOM1= GLOW plug relay engage, +VSV solenoid STOP engaged)
&
(MOM2= START relay engage).

Also since the pencil glowplugs are in parallel, I tossed in an indicator light from the +Glowplug side of the Ford starter relay so that I know the switch actually engaged and it is a check circuit for the GP (I also imagine it would get brighter if any of the glow plugs were out)

I still have a few things to piece out, such as wiring the 110 Bosch Alt to the 3+1 wire FJ80 setup, does anyone have a solution to this? Would it just be the Black-Blue Stripe wire to the D+ on the Alt?

This will be much clearer with pics!... (Power Steering set-up)
IMG_1141.JPG

Last edited:
yeah we use image urls with square bracket img tags, or attach files. Since you have a new account you might not be able to attach yet.

Like so:

IMG_0772_2.JPG

Also it's interesting to hear that the 4runner tank fits in the spare tire position, where the OEM subtank would mount if i'm not very confused.

I wonder how hard it would be to integrate a subtank in that way. importing the oem subtank from australia isn't cheap.

Wow, Holy Quickness! This is My Tenth then!....

C's Machine Drilled & Match Balanced Flywheel (Thanks Jim!)

23782-1380093342-3f73f869fcb9fa7d54de6338f8f43def.jpg

Last edited:
Crud. Nope, they are not. I bet it's because your account is new.

Perhaps you should ask a mod to fix them?

Thank you, I shot Woody a note, and am trying to make a few meaningful comments to get the posts up!

You asked about the tank, and the stock tank actually wouldn't bee too bad of a fit , it is less tall than the 4-runner and would nest a little higher. It seemed like it cleared the two rails, I just used the 4-runner, as it was cheap and is a bolt-mount vs strap mount tank.

What is people's experience with CNG or Propane on these motors?

I am also trying to figure out the alt wiring from a 2-post(+B, +D) Bosch 100a alt to the 4-terminal (1, 2, 3, B+) toyota factory set-up.

Does anyone know which wire +D cooresponds to in the factory harness?

Thank you for your help Slim, I was looking at the FSM and noted the three wires (1, 2, 3) #3 says IG on the wiring schematic. Could I just wire this to +D

I thought that the Merc was interally reg as well...? (Though this Alt is from a 1996 Saab 9000 and I would think that it would be internal as well.)

Edit: Here is where I tapped into... seems to work fine; haven't op checked dummy light.

23792-1380140510-fac4dd289b11825201c96d7631cb26a2.jpg

Last edited:
I have no clue.

But on the toyota wire harness, if you don't feel like you need an idiot light when the alternator quits, the "L" terminal can go hang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom