A few questions on carburetors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970 fj40 with a stock engine and a Weber carburetor. This is the only way I have known my landcruiser.i know webers are not highly liked . So my problem is after my landcruiser has warmed up it starts to stumble as you accelerate especially when your in first and you try to get moving you really have to feather the accelerator pedal . once I am in third gear and cruising along all is good. Is this a carburetor problem are a ignition problem?

Temperature sensitive points to a fuel problem.
Do you think the carburetor needs to be rebuilt? I don't have a temp gauge but I do have a infrared thermometer and the engine and radiator are at about 180° I am running a Electric fuel pump with a rubber gas line.i tried switching go a hard gas line and it was really bad when I did that. Thanks

When was the last time you tuned it up? Has the truck always acted like this?

@FJ40Jim is the man to help you, but he'll need more details regarding history, setup etc...

When was the last time you tuned it up? Has the truck always acted like this?

@FJ40Jim is the man to help you, but he'll need more details regarding history, setup etc...
Sounds like a lack of transition or off idle fuel due to a clogged idle circuit or a manifold vacuum leak.
How do I check if it's a manifold leak?
And if I need to rebuild I think I would rather go back stock.what carburetor did a 1970 come with?

Could also be a problem w/ auto choke not opening fully (common on these).

1970 can use any 70-72 cable operated 38/38 Aisan carb

Thanks for the info is there a way to check and please forgive my ignorance but what does the Auto choke look like on the Weber?
Thanks again

PS: I put new plugs and wires about eight months ago.i did not do the cap and rotor and points because I ordered for a stock dizzy and I found out I have a Mallory duel point .

sorry for the somewhat hijack on this one. i had a weber on my fj60 and had the same issue. i always blamed the electric choke as it typically would happen if i didn't let it warm up long enough. i switched to a trollhole on it. regarding the hijack, i've got a 1974 fj40 with a rochester carb and was going to go with an aisin but wanted to confirm what year range i need to look for as my research shows the carbs changed fairly regularly during this time period. i just wasn't sure how big of an issue it would be if i went with a range outside of 1974. rig has no smog equipment.

On ebay, there was just a NOS 70-72 Federal Aisan cable operated carb that did not sell -- Might still be available if you're interested.

Pat, the 73-74 carbs would work if your truck was stock (pushrod throttle linkage). But with the foreign carb, it probably also got a cable pedal. In that case, a cable operated 70-72 would be easiest.

Thanks Jim. That is very helpful. Looks like they did some type of modification to the pushrod linkage best I can tell. I'll confirm and try to source a used carb and send it over to you for a rebuild. Thanks!

Ok so my long term plan is to go back with a rebulit stock carburetor but how can I work around my heat sensitive carburetor for now.

Does switching to a header help with heat issues sence it's not connected to the intake manifold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom