99' Frozen slide pins on rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just replaced rotors/pads front and rear, bled system. Noticed rear slide pins can not be moved at all. Assuming these operate like most slide pins and should have movement. Is this correct? I could not get them to budge - what is the reccomended fix for this issue? I thought about removing boots, applying PB, and heating them to remove, grease, and reboot but we needed the truck for Thanksgiving trip. Truck brakes much better but want rear operating as designed. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

JP

Just replaced rotors/pads front and rear, bled system. Noticed rear slide pins can not be moved at all. Assuming these operate like most slide pins and should have movement. Is this correct? I could not get them to budge - what is the reccomended fix for this issue? I thought about removing boots, applying PB, and heating them to remove, grease, and reboot but we needed the truck for Thanksgiving trip. Truck brakes much better but want rear operating as designed. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

JP
I had that happen on my drivers rear side. I tried to get the pin unstuck for a day and a half and couldn't budge it. Nothing worked. I ended up having to replace the caliper bracket and get 2 new pins.

Thanks for the reply. Will give it one more go, then on to new brackets and pins.

I had a slide bolt freeze up on my driver side rear a few months ago I ended up removing the caliper and using a regular old propane torch to heat the sucker up and I was able to free it.
image.jpeg

PB Blaster and heat should get it out. Just make sure to apply ample lubrication when you're putting it back!

As I recall the pins have a rubber sleeve on them to act as a movement damper. Heat may mess up the rubber so if you plan on using heat order new pins to have on hand. Can't remember if the pins come with the rubber or if it is a separate part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom